Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Have 4880 on order but is z3100 better?  (Read 4000 times)

Barry Butterfield

Help! Have 4880 on order but is z3100 better?
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »

Going for the Epson 4880 because of March maddness pricing. I realize the price difference between 17" and 24" printers however since there is no HP 17" equivalent (yet) I have to make this comparison.

Should I buy the Epson 4880 now or hold out and save my dollars for an HP z3100 to buy later? The consensus seems to be in the HPs favor by far...

Thanks for your replies.

drjdmm

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:59 am »

I don't know if Epson's support for their professional printers is any good. But I would be very reluctant in purchasing another HP printer after dealing with HP's warranty dept. My printer stopped working 2 months ago and although it is still under warranty I have had no luck in getting any service from HP.  Read my story in:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=24143
(try to ignore the spelling errors you will find - it's been a long day and I did not check my reply before posting)

Dr. Joel Murphy

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:59:14 am »

Joel,

We've been reading your posts and you certainly have a legitimate complaint that isn't common.  I don't know where you're from but if its the US perhaps this will help.

December 6, 2007 at 10:17 am

To those of you who have outlined support issues on your Z series printer: my name is Ben Wolf and I am the product manager for the Z2100 and Z3100 series in the US. Let me personally apologize to anyone who has received a poor support experience from HP. I encourage anyone who has received an unsatisfactory result or had frustration with our support process to please contact me directly at ben.wolf@hp.com and I will ensure your problems are addressed.

I take customer satisfaction on our products very seriously. This is not corporate lip service: every customer is important to me, and if you are not satisfied, I will personally get involved to resolve whatever issues you may be having.

Regards,

Ben Wolf
Creative Segment Mgr
Regards,
Ron

jpgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:28:23 pm »

If I were buying now (and I will be looking at an ipf6100 soon) I would consider the Canon IPF line above either of the two you are considering.  I operate an ipf9100 (60 inch model) but have had HP Dj130, Epson 4000, 9600 and other printers in the past.

The IPF line costs less for the printer, best warranty support, fastest printing with comparable quality and gamut, excellent paper handling, no roller marks becuase of vacuum, excellent black and white and color with minmal bronzing and other issues no issues with Reds as in the case of the HP, no clogging like the Epson, no swaps like the Epson, less ink usage than the Epson (HP is just slightly better with ink so canon is in the middle.)

For a review of the printer check it out on Shutterbug.com and read the review on the ipf9100 from Jon Canfield I think.

-Jonathan
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 01:36:52 pm by jpgentry »

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:26:10 pm »

Thanks Jonathan!

If I were buying now (and I will be looking at an ipf6100 soon) I would consider the Canon IPF line above either of the two you are considering.  I operate an ipf9100 (60 inch model) but have had HP Dj130, Epson 4000, 9600 and other printers in the past.

The IPF line costs less for the printer, best warranty support, fastest printing with comparable quality and gamut, excellent paper handling, no roller marks becuase of vacuum, excellent black and white and color with minmal bronzing and other issues no issues with Reds as in the case of the HP, no clogging like the Epson, no swaps like the Epson, less ink usage than the Epson (HP is just slightly better with ink so canon is in the middle.)

For a review of the printer check it out on Shutterbug.com and read the review on the ipf9100 from Jon Canfield I think.

-Jonathan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:22 pm »

Jonathan,

Do you have any experience or knowledge of the ipf5100? It's on sale until Monday 12 noon for $1,400.

--Barry

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 06:04:30 pm »

I had a espon 7600 now have a hp z3100 So far I am happy great printer and the best archival in the buisness. Def best for Black and white prints

jpgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:16:17 pm »

I have experience with it's bigger brothers the ipf8000 and ipf9100.  The 5100 is a really versatile printer with all of the advantages of the bigger printer plus it includes printing from a paper tray.  I believe it also has the vacuum for paper which I like much better than the star wheels which cal leave marks in the prints.

I just want to plug my man Jim Doyle over at shades of paper who I buy my product from.  He has really helped me almost as a business partner and not just a vendor.  He really stands behind the things he sells and gives very personal service which I have not experienced anywhere else.  I can't speak for him but in the past he has been great about matching deals and keeping me very happy.

-Jonathan

Jonathan,

Do you have any experience or knowledge of the ipf5100? It's on sale until Monday 12 noon for $1,400.

--Barry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185276\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »

no clogging like the Epson, no swaps like the Epson, less ink usage than the Epson (HP is just slightly better with ink so canon is in the middle.)

-Jonathan 

Jonathan,

Do you have the ml per square foot number for the HP and Canon?  I have heard different folks comment antecdotally about ink usage, but I have not seen specific ml usage numbers for the different printers. These should be pretty well defined from print logs.  Thanks!

Also, FWIW, I don't think clogging is much of an issue with the 7880/9880 series printers. The Z3100 has the advantage of no "older" versions out there.  Apples to apples with the 7880 (instead of older printers), I have never had a clog on my 7880.

Best,
Michael

jpgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 10:37:25 pm »

You can find ink usage info from the ipf wiki (search google) and the HP somewhere in this message board.  It was estimated so long ago I can't remember the specific pages.

-Jonathan

Jonathan,

Do you have the ml per square foot number for the HP and Canon?  I have heard different folks comment antecdotally about ink usage, but I have not seen specific ml usage numbers for the different printers. These should be pretty well defined from print logs.  Thanks!

Also, FWIW, I don't think clogging is much of an issue with the 7880/9880 series printers. The Z3100 has the advantage of no "older" versions out there.  Apples to apples with the 7880 (instead of older printers), I have never had a clog on my 7880.

Best,
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:49 pm »

Jonathan,

Do you have the ml per square foot number for the HP and Canon?  I have heard different folks comment antecdotally about ink usage, but I have not seen specific ml usage numbers for the different printers. These should be pretty well defined from print logs.  Thanks!

Also, FWIW, I don't think clogging is much of an issue with the 7880/9880 series printers. The Z3100 has the advantage of no "older" versions out there.  Apples to apples with the 7880 (instead of older printers), I have never had a clog on my 7880.

Best,
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can look for Cost per copy on the HP site for Vivera pigment inks for their numbers. Many of us who wrote reviews on the Z such as in my review also included numbers. Ernst Dinkla also compiled some numbers after a lot of printing done.

John Hollenberg has numbers for Canon on his WiKi pages for Canon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up