Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great deal on Epson 4880 ending Monday  (Read 3601 times)

Barry Butterfield

Great deal on Epson 4880 ending Monday
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:30:04 pm »

Hi all,

Sorry if this is reiterating previous threads on the subject.

I just ordered a Epson 4880 from Shades of Paper and got a great deal!

http://www.shadesofpaper.com/

I'm getting 75 sheets 17"x22" as part of Epson's promo (about a $500-$600 valve) on top of $200 off the list price plus an additional $200 mail-in rebate!

No tax and free shipping this amounts to getting the 4880 printer for about $1000 total. This is incredible! Beatiful example of giving away the razor to sell the blades. Great marketing. I thought long and hard over the 4880 vs. the 3800 and this deal sold me on the 4880. (There is a good promo for the 3800 to). I like the fact that ink will be about 1/2 price with 220ml carts and the economies of roll paper.

Progam ends Monday.

Sarah at Shades of Paper was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I highly recommended them!

Best,
--Barry

Tklimek

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:46:54 pm »

Barry!

Congrats!  I'm picking mine up tomorrow!  I've got mine ordered from Calumet.

The one thing that is not that clear is what papers are eligible for the program.  From what you mentioned in your post; sounds like you are picking up Exhibition fiber.  The strange thing is; I cannot find this deal on Epsons website, which is kind of weird.  I've searched the web and have found different vendors providing different options for the paper.  I was interested in the Exhibition fiber as well (17x22 sheets), but also wanted to pick up some rolls.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the score is.

I also was able to get the $200 off list, but not the other rebate (I do not own a qualifying printer).  I also got 3 months no interst financing and no shipping (I'm picking it up).  Sounds like a new adventure!

Have a blast!

Todd

Hi all,

Sorry if this is reiterating previous threads on the subject.

I just ordered a Epson 4880 from Shades of Paper and got a great deal!

http://www.shadesofpaper.com/

I'm getting 75 sheets 17"x22" as part of Epson's promo (about a $500-$600 valve) on top of $200 off the list price plus an additional $200 mail-in rebate!

No tax and free shipping this amounts to getting the 4880 printer for about $1000 total. This is incredible! Beatiful example of giving away the razor to sell the blades. Great marketing. I thought long and hard over the 4880 vs. the 3800 and this deal sold me on the 4880. (There is a good promo for the 3800 to). I like the fact that ink will be about 1/2 price with 220ml carts and the economies of roll paper.

Progam ends Monday.

Sarah at Shades of Paper was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I highly recommended them!

Best,
--Barry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »

Congrats to you too Todd! Exciting times... I hope it pays off for me and for you. This is my first "serious" digital printer.

I've enclosed a paper list that Sarah Newman from "Shades of Paper" sent me. She said these are the Epson branded papers that are included in the promo.

After much discussion with the very helpful and knowledgeable Ms. Newman I finally settled on the Exhibition Fiber for two reasons: (1) It is the most expensive paper on the approved paper list, maximizing the "deal" and (2) It simulates the silver-based fiber papers that I grew up with. I imagine that I'll obtain a better dmax compared with the matte papers that I may ultimately use as my mainstays, not sure yet though. Sarah is putting together several sample packets for me of the many high-end fine art papers they carry, Cranes etc. as well as one matte black 220ml cartridge. After I examine the papers and run a few tests I may order a roll or so of matte and start off using the printer with the matte black. The exhibition fiber will be stored away until I, well, have an exhibition. Swapping inks costs about $40 so I don't intend to do that too often.  

Hope the list is helpful; Sarah sure was.

BTW, 25 sheets 17"x22" about equals a 50' roll.

Are you getting a stand? Did you see the post recommending the Ikea unit for $300? It has drawers for paper and supplies and stands higher (a good thing) compared to the Epson stand.

--Barry

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »

Barry....

Thanks for the list; it's the same list I downloaded from another source.  But I have seen some other vendors not using the same list.  Interesting since I can't seem to find anything on Epson's site about it.

This is also my first "serious" digital printer; so new ground for sure.

I noticed in your post that you are also buying a Matte black cart; it doesn't come with both blacks?  It that's the case, that's something I didn't know.  

Also, the figure of $40 for the ink change; I'm not sure I really saw the data for that.  I thought that figure was mostly determined by the 4000.  I thought when reading Michael's review of the 4800 or 4880, he mentioned that Epson improved the ink swap because they only bled the lines that needed it.  I'm clearly not an expert on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.  And I thought it was $40 round trip; so if you switched from photo to matte; that would be $20.  To switch back again would be another $20.  Am I wrong on these?

I agree with you on "maximizing" the deal.  I would buy an enhanced matte roll out of my own pocket (I think about $60) and get some of the Exhibition fiber as I've read good things about that.  The Exhibiton paper uses the Photo Black.

I did see the stand at Ikea and that seems like an attractive idea.  I think I'll try putting the printer on my desk and see how that works; if that doesn't work out in the long run; then that stand seems like a good option.

Do you have Michael and Jeffs "From Camera to Print" video?  It's really very good; I highly recommend it.

Whooo hooo!  Getting my printer tomorrow!

Cheers...

Todd

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »

Todd,

Yes, I did mean round trip on the swap $20 x 2= $40.

I am getting cold feet on this. I've been reading more on the z3100 and it sounds better for me with the ease of use (profiling) and better b&w. Of course they are different printers the HP being 24".

I'm not reaady to go 24" yet. So do I get the 3800 instead as an interim to the z3100? For volume the 4880 is more economical however the 3800 is cheaper up front and has a smaller foot print, perhaps better for more intermittent work. And the 3800 promo gets me the p 3000 viewer for what it's worth...

What do you plan to do with yours? Are you going to print every day? Do you have a backlog?

--Barry

Barry Butterfield

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »

Todd,

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes and your first impressions. I'll check out the video, it sounds good.

--Barry

duraace

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 12:33:36 am »

Todd,

Yes, I did mean round trip on the swap $20 x 2= $40.

I am getting cold feet on this. I've been reading more on the z3100 and it sounds better for me with the ease of use (profiling) and better b&w. Of course they are different printers the HP being 24".

I'm not reaady to go 24" yet. So do I get the 3800 instead as an interim to the z3100? For volume the 4880 is more economical however the 3800 is cheaper up front and has a smaller foot print, perhaps better for more intermittent work. And the 3800 promo gets me the p 3000 viewer for what it's worth...

What do you plan to do with yours? Are you going to print every day? Do you have a backlog?

--Barry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 3800 produces fabulous prints.  I love mine and not requiring "piano movers" to deliver it means a lot to me.  It's clearly a prosumer item, but produces pro quality.  If you can live without constant high output and roll paper, it's a great choice.

kate the traveler

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 12:27:33 pm »

Epson 4880

I just ordered an Epson 4880 printer at the boston NAPP show for $1120 with shipping and no tax. Can't wait to start printing.
Now I am trying to figure where to put it and need some help please on size of footprint.
I went to the Epson internet site and saw that they recomment 15.7" behind. Is this really necessary (maybe to change the roll of paper?).
What is the smallest footprint of the machine?
Anyone have the model number of the Ikea stand?
Anyone using a 20' UBS cord with success? At the show I was told that I could go up to 25' but saw on Epson specs 10'.
What I would like to do is use 3 file cabinets which would be 36" across with 2 and one behind which would be smaller than the footprint for sure. So I would get a board cut for the top and level it with cork underneath but then it would definitely be stationary so I need to know how much space behind.
Am really concerned about space.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
By the way the sample prints at the show looked extroadinary!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:29:23 pm by kate the traveler »

craig Coppola

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:14:57 pm »

Is Sarah still working at Shades of Paper?  I called up and they said she doesn't work there anymore?????
Pages: [1]   Go Up