Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO Optics Pro-when support 1DS III?  (Read 5293 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

DXO Optics Pro-when support 1DS III?
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:25:24 pm »

I just printed out Alain's tutorial. I love this site, as so many talented people are willing to share their expertise. I have Version 3.5, and have been hesitating on upgrading to Version 5, because it does not support the 1DS Mk III. Does anyone know when that support will be added? Also, is there an upgrade price, as opposed to full price? If I upgraded to Version 5 now, would I be allowed to down load modules for 1DS III, and all my lenses? Would I need to re-down load modules that I already have for version 3.5? I have version 3.5 modules for 10D, 1DS, and 1DS II. I no longer have those cameras, but I sometimes need to go back and convert some old work done with those cameras.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:09:22 pm »

Dave,

I have done versions 3.5, 4, and now 5 of DxO. I can't tell you when they will support the 1DSIII, but I can comment on some aspects of it.

As for which modules you get: you actually choose from among all the available ones before you download. Currently you need to install their download manager which makes it very easy to select and download. You can, in fact, get modules that you don't currently own equipment for (such as a lens you are anticipating getting). Or you can download new modules whenever they become available. So downloading is easy.

As for the cost to upgrade: Check their website to see if you can find a price to upgrade from 3.5, or email them to ask. It didn't cost me anything to go from 4.5 to 5. For the 1DSIII you will certainly need the top of the line version, called something like "Elite Pro"(?).

Now as to using 5. When I first tried it I was horribly disappointed. It didn't let me keep any of my presets from version 4, and the new interface was completely confusing to me. Of course I tried using it right away without bothering to look at the manual. I had installed it separately from 4.5, so I simply went back to using 4.5 until such time as I could start trying to figure out how 5 operates.

I have recently managed to come to terms with version 5, but I must say that Alain's tutorial is terrific. It clarifies all the essential points that I was confused about. I have read it and printed it out for reference. Some of what he says I have figured out on my own, but he has lots of good tips that I had no idea about.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:10:41 pm »

Dave,

I have done versions 3.5, 4, and now 5 of DxO. I can't tell you when they will support the 1DSIII, but I can comment on some aspects of it.

As for which modules you get: you actually choose from among all the available ones before you download. Currently you need to install their download manager which makes it very easy to select and download. You can, in fact, get modules that you don't currently own equipment for (such as a lens you are anticipating getting). Or you can download new modules whenever they become available. So downloading is easy.

As for the cost to upgrade: Check their website to see if you can find a price to upgrade from 3.5, or email them to ask. It didn't cost me anything to go from 4.5 to 5. For the 1DSIII you will certainly need the top of the line version, called something like "Elite Pro"(?).

Now as to using 5. When I first tried it I was horribly disappointed. It didn't let me keep any of my presets from version 4, and the new interface was completely confusing to me. Of course I tried using it right away without bothering to look at the manual. I had installed it separately from 4.5, so I simply went back to using 4.5 until such time as I could start trying to figure out how 5 operates.

I have recently managed to come to terms with version 5, but I must say that Alain's tutorial is terrific. It clarifies all the essential points that I was confused about. I have read it and printed it out for reference. Some of what he says I have figured out on my own, but he has lots of good tips that I had no idea about.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eric: It not only helps, but it has encouraged me to upgrade to 5.0. I will check their web site to see what the upgrade price might be. When I originally down loaded my present version, I paid an extra $10 or so to get a CD disk,, as I am always afraid if my PC crashes, I will have trouble recovering all my down loaded stuff. Again, thanks for your kind help.
Dave

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:04:41 am »

Eric: It not only helps, but it has encouraged me to upgrade to 5.0. I will check their web site to see what the upgrade price might be. When I originally down loaded my present version, I paid an extra $10 or so to get a CD disk,, as I am always afraid if my PC crashes, I will have trouble recovering all my down loaded stuff. Again, thanks for your kind help.
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've seen that French mag Chasseur d'Image reports that DXO support for 1Ds MK3 is to be available soon. DXO website doesn't list the 1Ds 3 yet… Soon is pretty vague, I must admit!
Francois

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:45:44 pm »

I've seen that French mag Chasseur d'Image reports that DXO support for 1Ds MK3 is to be available soon. DXO website doesn't list the 1Ds 3 yet… Soon is pretty vague, I must admit!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the heads up, Francois.
Dave

sojournerphoto

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:31:33 pm »

Dave,

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric

I've had trouble getting 5 to run at all well on my PC. If I try to modify more than 1 or 2 files then it seems to leave all sorts of 'crud' on the monitor and gets really clunky. That's before starting to run the conversion.

TBH I've been really disappointed so far and am using LR for everything at the moment, though I'll give it a go again when they support the Ds3.

Mike

bryanyc

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:53 pm »

Eric

I've had trouble getting 5 to run at all well on my PC. If I try to modify more than 1 or 2 files then it seems to leave all sorts of 'crud' on the monitor and gets really clunky. That's before starting to run the conversion.

TBH I've been really disappointed so far and am using LR for everything at the moment, though I'll give it a go again when they support the Ds3.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

honestly when I looked at dx0 I was put off by a lot of things: from the counter intuitive software design (noted above) to their marketing style.  They talk a big talk but I don't see the benefit in committing to the software when other converters probably work better in other ways.   Keep it simple.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:32 am »

Eric

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll admit that I got quite used to DxO version 4.0 through 4.5, and I'm currently using 4.5 as my workhorse converter until I have time to play extensively with 5.0. My first try with 5.0 was a disaster, but I got some useful output the second time. But I'm quite comfortable with 4.5, so I use that mostly.

My mainstay before DxO was Capture One LE. I also use RSP occasionally (for my S60). Although I have Lightroom, I've never taken the time to try it, since I've been quite satisfied with DxO (through 4.5, anyway).
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:46:45 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff,Mar 28 2008, 06:25 PM
I just printed out Alain's tutorial.

Hello,

where can I find "Alain's tutorial"

Thanks

Sigi

francois

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 06:10:27 am »

Hello,

where can I find "Alain's tutorial"

Thanks

Sigi
Here: (An Introduction and Tutorial by Alain Briot)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:11:25 am by francois »
Francois

Stuarte

• http://
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:46:14 am »

DxO have just release 5.0 beta trial for Mac.

I tried downloading it on two different Macs, but the process has defeated me so far and likewise others on the DxO forum.  So I'll just bide my time until they get their merde sorted out.

From my minimal knowledge of the company, it seems like a classic engineering-led scenario.  All the effort gone into creating fantastic technical performance.  First-rate engineering but third-rate user-interface and logistics.  I've seen it in so many promising companies.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:00:40 am »

I've got the Mac public beta and it has 1Ds3 support for my 16-35 2.8L (old version) 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS

No support yet for the 14 2.8L II on my 1Ds or 1Ds3 and no support on a 1Ds3 for the EF15 2.8 fisheye

A quick check with some raw files shows promise wrt the raw converter, but I really do need to spare some time to learn the interface, since whilst not so idiosyncratic as earlier versions of DxO it still needs some time realising just what's in there.

It's good that there is finally a Mac version since I'd got used to using V4.5 for certain types of images, and had fitted it into a reasonable workflow. This ground to a halt when I got a 1Ds3 :-(

Fortunately I have quite a collection of 1Ds images from last year that I'm currently going through, which should allow me to give it a serious kicking of the tyres.. :-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

brucepercy1

• http://www.thelightandtheland.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 04:38:59 pm »

Version 4 was a disappointment. The User Interface for a start is convoluted and clunky. The RAW converter is nowhere near as good as Adobe's Camera Raw. But it's strength was in correcting lens distortion. So I held onto it for that.

Last year they promised that V5 would be out for the Mac end of February, and then they said 'spring' and now they have come out with.... a Beta with a bug list as long as your arm for the Mac.

Too much promise. Too little given so far.

After looking at the Bug report PDF, I've decided to steer clear of it until it is workable. I'm not in the market for doing software testing for a company - they should be doing that themselves, and NOT releasing software that clearly isn't ready for general public use. Putting it under the Beta Banner is a bit of a get-out-clause I feel.

And while they're at it, I wish they'd get rid of that awfully convoluted workflow they have. It's a nightmare.

Photography should not be this complicated.
--
 Best Wishes,  Bruce Percy [url=http:/
Pages: [1]   Go Up