Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B9180 Adjusting for thick, THICK media?  (Read 1079 times)

karrphoto

B9180 Adjusting for thick, THICK media?
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:31:52 am »

OK, so I have a coating I've applied to .040 plexi (1.016mm .484 mm
less than specified max height by HP)

I ran it through the other day, but stupid me selected gloss paper.
Sounded like head striking was going on...

So, I'm assuming setting the media type to rigid will help, but does
anyone know which of the rigid medias HP gives as options is thickest
so I can minimize striking?

I have some 24 ga stainless I'll need to print on over the next couple of days.  .024" = .6MM, .9MM below the MAX thickness stated for the B9180.  So far, my tests have me scared that I'm going to shred my print heads again.  I tried printing on some copper foil the other day, attached to a sheet of 8x10 paper, but I didn't tape down the edges and the heads struck the sharp edge and bye bye to 2 heads.  Expensive mistake I can't afford to repeat.

So, tonight I went to the local home improvement store and bought some aluminum to test on before the "real" project of stainless.   I coated the aluminum, fed it in the specialty tray, set the printer media to Rigid Glossy and started printing.  Now, the material I purchased tonight, even thinner than the stainless I have, it's .4mm, 1.3mm thinner than the HP stated max.   How did the print come out, HORRIBLE.  Besides listening to the head glide across the aluminum, it ripped the coating off in areas and also left huge lines in between each pass.   HORRIBLE.    Why, if I set RIGID media, am I getting head strikes?  I mean, I'm not even 1/2 way to the supposed max... god forbid I was using 1.5mm material, I think I'd shred a few more print heads.

HELPPPPP!
Pages: [1]   Go Up