Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member greetings  (Read 4062 times)

Bruce Hood

New member greetings
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:16:24 pm »

Hi all,  I have recently joined this forum after browsing around for some time and being impressed with the high level, and diversity of knowledge evident here.  AND, not unimportantly, the level of civility as compared to some other forums available.  I thought I would introduce myself with a few images of things that I find interesting in this world.  As is so often said here, and so often responded to with thoughtful comments, all C&C gratefully appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to learning lots,  Bruce Hood

francois

New member greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »

Bruce,
Welcome to the board!
Francois

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
New member greetings
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »

Welcome Bruce!

Your images don't show up.  What I do is type something like...

Use the "Preview Post" button verity everything is correct, you should see each pictures you entered as above.  You have to first download your images to some website, you can't upload them in this forum.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:48:48 pm by bill t. »

Bruce Hood

New member greetings
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:55:50 pm »

Hi Bill,  I don't have a website, the images are just stored on my computer, so what can I do?
Thanks, Bruce

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
New member greetings
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:37:18 pm »

Hi Bill,  I don't have a website, the images are just stored on my computer, so what can I do?
Thanks, Bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, get a website or borrow a directory on a friend's website.  If you decide to start up your own website, be sure to get a recommendation from a web-savy person, some of those cheaper sites are IMHO borderline criminal in regards to charging a la carte "upgrades" to your credit card.  In particular, avoid g.....y.com.

There are also "free" websites but these generally have extremely low bandwidth limits.  In just a few hours I have gotten over 100 megabytes of hits on my latest photo post here, that would have shut me down on a typical free site.

Some people have accounts on pbase.com, I believe you can directly link from here to pictures posted there, which may also be the case for many other of the legions of photo posting sites.  I have a website hosted by what I regard to be an excellent, cheap service provider that has never once tried to scam me, send me a message and I'll reply off-list.

In any case, prepare for a good dose of learning curve.

Richowens

New member greetings
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »

Hi Bruce and welcome.

You don't need a website to post a photo here, just use the file attachment utility at the bottom where you type your post. Hit the browse button to select the photo then add this attachment. Let it upload and you will see the file name below the browse button. To the right there is a button "add into post". Place your cursor where you want the photo to appear in you post and click this button.

[attachment=5765:attachment]

You will see attachmentid=**** appear and you are good to go.

Before you post a photo create a copy, reduce to 800 pixels, convert to sRGB colorspace and save as jpeg maximum quality. I have a folder just for upload web images.

Anyway, again welcome and I look forward to your photos.

Rich

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New member greetings
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:32:28 am »

Hi Bruce, and as others have said, welcome to the list!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ray

New member greetings
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:10:25 am »

Hi Bruce and welcome from me too. I see you've already received some slightly contradictory advice on what's required to post an image   .
Pages: [1]   Go Up