Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Broke # 2  (Read 5942 times)

YogiMo

Display Broke # 2
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:47 am »

Hi Again,

enclosed a picture of my troubled display. Really quite interesting.

One question, as I need to use the camera during the next 4 weeks, I have no time to bring it to the repair shop, is there any danger to the camera? (Liquid leaking etc)

Any other suggestions?

Really appreciate any input!

thanks
Yogi

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Display Broke # 2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:54:31 pm »

In your situation, I would put cello tape over the cracks and avoid using it in the rain until I could get it repaired. Good luck!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:02:10 pm »

I'd send it in and buy an Xti for the short term.  (Actually, I did do that with my 20D.)

YogiMo

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:56:35 pm »

In your situation, I would put cello tape over the cracks and avoid using it in the rain until I could get it repaired. Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184707\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually there are no visable cracks, it is just the inside LCD panel that is broken.

Eric Myrvaagnes

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:10:36 am »

Actually there are no visable cracks, it is just the inside LCD panel that is broken.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you're going to need a reliable camera during the next few weeks, I'd go with Dark's suggestion. What if something is hanging by a thread inside, just waiting to quite just as you are about to take the Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:29:24 am »

I would avoid rain or high humidity at all cost, even if the plastic LCD cover is intact. I've got water behind the cover on a 1D body. With your cracked LCD screen, water/high humidity could cause some malfunction.

Either be very careful, buy a second camera as DarkPenguin and Eric suggested above or have it repaired. I'd favour option #2 or #3 as you metionned that you need a reliable camera.
Francois

schrodingerscat

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »

Hi Again,

enclosed a picture of my troubled display. Really quite interesting.

One question, as I need to use the camera during the next 4 weeks, I have no time to bring it to the repair shop, is there any danger to the camera? (Liquid leaking etc)

Any other suggestions?

Really appreciate any input!

thanks
Yogi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As long as the LCD cover window is intact, there would be no problem in continuing to use it for a few days. The only caveat is the it takes a fair amount of force to crack the LCD and there could be other damage lurking in the background waiting to rear it's ugly head. A month would be pushing it, what with the usual manhandling of transportation and use.

YogiMo

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:05:26 am »

As long as the LCD cover window is intact, there would be no problem in continuing to use it for a few days. The only caveat is the it takes a fair amount of force to crack the LCD and there could be other damage lurking in the background waiting to rear it's ugly head. A month would be pushing it, what with the usual manhandling of transportation and use.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for all the suggestions. My feeling is it, that the LCD inside simply is not working properly, meaning that it is faulty. The outside of the camera is unhurt - not even a single scratch. Maybe the liquid inside the display simply leaked. But it is interesting, I googled this and I did not come up with a single relavent hit. The problem is that I live in the middle of China and here it takes a long time to  get it repaired. Mid April I will be in Hongkong and hope to get it fixed quickly there. In the meantine I have a couple of biz trips, where I need the camera to document changes etc.
I guess a backup camera now would be nice, nothing fance, but something like the G9 or so.
Thanks again for all your help
Yogi

schrodingerscat

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:45:52 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. My feeling is it, that the LCD inside simply is not working properly, meaning that it is faulty. The outside of the camera is unhurt - not even a single scratch. Maybe the liquid inside the display simply leaked. But it is interesting, I googled this and I did not come up with a single relavent hit. The problem is that I live in the middle of China and here it takes a long time to  get it repaired. Mid April I will be in Hongkong and hope to get it fixed quickly there. In the meantine I have a couple of biz trips, where I need the camera to document changes etc.
I guess a backup camera now would be nice, nothing fance, but something like the G9 or so.
Thanks again for all your help
Yogi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Yogi -

Your LCD panel is cracked. I'm a tech and have seen many like this where the LCD is damaged with no damage to the external window. The "liquid" in liquid crystal display is not an actual water-like liquid, but refers to the very thin material of the active matrix.

There's not much of a chance of the LCD itself causing more problems, but the camera did get impacted or pressure stressed at the window or rear cover. It would be a good idea to avoid using it extensively until you can get it checked out and repaired.

If you fly, don't put cameras in checked luggage or in the overhead bin.

YogiMo

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:09 pm »

Hi Yogi -

Your LCD panel is cracked. I'm a tech and have seen many like this where the LCD is damaged with no damage to the external window. The "liquid" in liquid crystal display is not an actual water-like liquid, but refers to the very thin material of the active matrix.

There's not much of a chance of the LCD itself causing more problems, but the camera did get impacted or pressure stressed at the window or rear cover. It would be a good idea to avoid using it extensively until you can get it checked out and repaired.

If you fly, don't put cameras in checked luggage or in the overhead bin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Schrodingerscat

Thanks for your expert advice. I once put the camera in the checked luggage, well protected, but appearently not well enough.

I often have to travel and the airpressure in the airplane is always a concern of mine. Is it advisable to take off the lense, "to pressurize - depressurize" the body?

thanks & best regards
Yogi

schrodingerscat

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:08:41 pm »

Dear Schrodingerscat

Thanks for your expert advice. I once put the camera in the checked luggage, well protected, but appearently not well enough.

I often have to travel and the airpressure in the airplane is always a concern of mine. Is it advisable to take off the lense, "to pressurize - depressurize" the body?

thanks & best regards
Yogi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problem with air pressure, the problem is other packed contents being pressed against the camera. Once witnessed a handler drop a bag from the cargo bay to the tarmac, and you know how people cram stuff into the overhead.

Even if I have to put my camera bag in another carry on, I always remove it and keep it at my seat after boarding. The only thing I would check or put in the overhead is a Pelican case.

Cheers

SC

YogiMo

Display Broke # 2
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:43:14 am »

No problem with air pressure, the problem is other packed contents being pressed against the camera. Once witnessed a handler drop a bag from the cargo bay to the tarmac, and you know how people cram stuff into the overhead.

Even if I have to put my camera bag in another carry on, I always remove it and keep it at my seat after boarding. The only thing I would check or put in the overhead is a Pelican case.

Cheers

SC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear SC

Camera is now repaired, took 4 days at Canon in Hongkong. Everything covered under the warrenty. Nice service and very friendly the Canon people in HK,
best regards
Yogi
Pages: [1]   Go Up