Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where we are  (Read 9469 times)

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Where we are
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 06:30:29 pm »

we all agree the basic tenant that we shoot with what we need..be it film or digital, etc, etc

For me that may mean for quick interior work a 5d with a wide shift lens and wide zoom, etc and for higher end and architectural work where the 5d wont cut it a (currently rented) medium format camera and shift body with a db...and for personal project still 54 camera with film...

but whatever, all this gear is chosen to suit the specific need of the work / project and that is something that has not changed with the advent of digital and the quicker cycle of gear and less definition of standards of quality that we knew in film (35mm/120mm/54...nice and simple).

magazines are not any bigger than before, brochures generally the same size, people's quality thresholds are not higher than before I do not think..perhaps even the opposite is true...

...so whilst certainly the choices are more blurred and the promises and expectation of big improvements in the quality of the image within the same format are tempting...are they necessary...surely once you have the kit that works for both you and the client for the particular jobs then why need more?

Marc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:30:53 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

John Camp

Where we are
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »

Our pictures -- things that used to hang on the wall -- are now TV screens, and the dominant thing on a TV screen is not text, but photography. It can either be still or motion, but motion is  becoming dominant (look at MSN some day -- most of the links are to video.) Because of the insatiable maw of the net and the 24-hour-a-day schedule of a couple of hundred cable channels, combined with the constant demand for newness, it seems to me that there's a huge video market out there. AND, there's very little on these screens that can't be shot with the video camera, even if used as a still. A high-resolution still camera is pretty much wasted when the view screen is a standard HD monitor or TV set.

Also: there are now literally tens of millions of people who own and operate still cameras that are good enough that their shots turn up on TV and in magazines all the time -- most still news shots, and quite a bit of video, that I see on local news programs, and even quite a few national news programs, are shot by amateurs who happen to be where some newsworthy event is taking place, and they have a camera that is good enough that the images are suitable for national distribution. Not as good as a pro would do, but *good enough.* The point is that an awful lot of still content is now being shot by amateurs or semi-pros -- photography is becoming a distributed effort, like blogging. If a local station in Minneapolis is given the choice between a routine grip-and-grin photo of a chamber of commerce event, or a mom trying to catch her baby thrown from a burning building in LA, they'll go with the mom-and-baby every time. And there are pictures of something like that *every day* from somewhere in the world -- fires, floods, shooting, cute animals. Local TV content pros are becoming a thing of the past, because they can't compete on image shock. There will still be room for full pros, but that room will be diminishing and the prices will be falling, except for the few who have the PR chops to make themselves into stars.

Therefore: I think the future, for photographers who want to make careers out of it, is most likely in video. In video, it's much harder for amateurs or for semi-pros to get in, because the initial, up-front costs are so much higher, not only for equipment, but for crews, and for the necessary bureaucracy -- salaries, cost accounting, bureaucratic matters like getting permits to shoot, and for the marketing of the video. If I were fairly young and looking to make a career out of photography (not as an artist, but as a professional-for-hire) I would definitely go with video.
I might perhaps do what James Russell is doing, but in reverse -- focus on the video, but offer the services of a young, talented but cheap still photographer as an extra service.

JC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up