Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 with or without ps  (Read 6578 times)

leftybowler

z3100 with or without ps
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:29:51 pm »

I was told by my retailer that you cannot write your own profiles unless you get the z3100ps model. Is that correct? Please help.

DLS

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:58:52 pm »

I was told by my retailer that you cannot write your own profiles unless you get the z3100ps model. Is that correct? Please help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely incorrect. What purpose would an onboard spectrophotometer serve if you couldn't create profiles with it ? Your retailer is misinformed.

The APS package stands for "advanced profiling solution" and version gives you more control over the profiling as well as a colorimeter for calibrating your monitor.

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »

Get a new retailer... you can pay retail anywhere... if they do not know the product you may as well go to someone that does.   Couple of weeks back I did a new profile using my plain old Z3100 and had no problems.
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

leftybowler

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »

Get a new retailer... you can pay retail anywhere... if they do not know the product you may as well go to someone that does.   Couple of weeks back I did a new profile using my plain old Z3100 and had no problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you all for your help.

rdonson

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

That retailer's not to be trusted.  They didn't even read the HP material on the base Z3100 printer.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:21:13 pm »

APS profiles no but t all Z printers are self profiling from the Easy Print Center. The profiles created are quite good but APS are inline with ProfileMaker profiles which for photographers have a lot better snape to them.

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:50:41 pm »

My HP Z3100 printer stopped working 2 months ago.  Before you spend money on an HP Z3100 you should know that you will spend 20-30 minutes just getting to a tech who can answer your questions everytime you call HP. There is no direct line to the designjet group.

If your printer is not working as mine is - they will only give you suggestions on things to try. Everytime you call you will get a new tech who will give you random things to try without any logical  step by step process.

I have been calling every 3-4 days for the last 2 months trying to get my printer repaired. It is a good thing I don't depend on the printer for my living. My company has a top notch computer repair group and they have been more usefull - but only to the point that it is clear that there is hardware failure in the printer.

HP  will not send a tech out to do printer repairs - especially if it under warranty- instead after 1-2 months of calling, you may get lucky and they will send you a token circuit board just for giggles and expect you to repair it yourself.

Then when you call back they will tell you that you have to change out circuits on the board they sent you - which is great if you are used to working on circuit boards - but  really sucks if your skills are in photography and not computer repair.

If your HP3100 fails you have a really really big paper weight. I would seriously consider the type of support you will get when buying a expensive printer.  My experience with HP has been unimaginably poor. It is clear from the problems we have had with their buggy software upgrades and support that HP is not really interested in standing behind their products.

It is a real shame because I like this printer when it worked.

So be warned before you make the purchase

Dr. Joel Murphy

rdonson

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:22:34 am »

My HP Z3100 printer stopped working 2 months ago.  Before you spend money on an HP Z3100 you should know that you will spend 20-30 minutes just getting to a tech who can answer your questions everytime you call HP. There is no direct line to the designjet group.

If your printer is not working as mine is - they will only give you suggestions on things to try. Everytime you call you will get a new tech who will give you random things to try without any logical  step by step process.

I have been calling every 3-4 days for the last 2 months trying to get my printer repaired. It is a good thing I don't depend on the printer for my living. My company has a top notch computer repair group and they have been more usefull - but only to the point that it is clear that there is hardware failure in the printer.
 HP  will not send a tech out to do printer repairs - especially if it under warranty- instead after 1-2 months of calling, you may get lucky and they will send you a token circuit board just for giggles and expect you to repair it yourself.

Then when you call back they will tell you that you have to change out circuits on the board they sent you - which is great if you are used to working on circuit boards - but  really sucks if your skills are in photography and not computer repair.

If your HP3100 fails you have a really really big paper weight. I would seriously consider the type of support you will get when buying a expensive printer.  My experience with HP has been unimaginably poor. It is clear from the problems we have had with their buggy software upgrades and support that HP is not really interested in standing behind their products.

It is a real shame because I like this printer when it worked.

So be warned before you make the purchase

Dr. Joel Murphy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We've heard this story in another thread.  Who did you purchase the printer from?  Your experiences are certainly at odds with the majority of people who've contacted HP support.
Regards,
Ron

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:20 am »

I bought my printer directly from HP

Please go the the other thread for more information on my trials and tribulations with the so called HP support group

Dr. Joel Murphy

neil snape

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:58 am »

I bought my printer directly from HP

Please go the the other thread for more information on my trials and tribulations with the so called HP support group

Dr. Joel Murphy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it seems you have some valid complaints with the handling of your printer. It looks like your posting in these topics which are not always related to YOUR problems .

In  your profile you have no information on where you are , or any other details. Since tech support is always handled by locality it would reveal a lot more about how this could happen, and if HP people were to look at your posts might be able to do something.

rdonson

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:56:41 am »

Joel,

As Neil points out we don't know where you're from but perhaps its the US and this will help.

December 6, 2007 at 10:17 am

To those of you who have outlined support issues on your Z series printer: my name is Ben Wolf and I am the product manager for the Z2100 and Z3100 series in the US. Let me personally apologize to anyone who has received a poor support experience from HP. I encourage anyone who has received an unsatisfactory result or had frustration with our support process to please contact me directly at ben.wolf@hp.com and I will ensure your problems are addressed.

I take customer satisfaction on our products very seriously. This is not corporate lip service: every customer is important to me, and if you are not satisfied, I will personally get involved to resolve whatever issues you may be having.

Regards,

Ben Wolf
Creative Segment Mgr
Regards,
Ron

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »

I am located in Tampabay Florida. I bought the printer from directly from HP USA. I will try to contact Ben Wolfe and see if he can help.

I do think it is appropriate for my comments to be read by someone thinking of purchasing  a HP printer. I wish I had more information about HP warranty service before I purchased. Their literature implies that they do on site service for the first year. I did not realize that you have to hire a lawyer to get them to  comply with their warranty.

Sincerely
Dr. Joel Murphy

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »

I do think it is appropriate for my comments to be read by someone thinking of purchasing  a HP printer. I wish I had more information about HP warranty service before I purchased. Their literature implies that they do on site service for the first year. I did not realize that you have to hire a lawyer to get them to  comply with their warranty.
I don't know how your experience has been so different from mine and most others.  HP has not been perfect, but their next day service (without the extended warranty) has been automatic and exactly what I would have hoped it would be.  I once called in an issue at 3pm PST and had the part and a technician here the next morning.  Communication issues: yes, from time to time;  apathy and lack of interest in helping me:  never.  Are you sure that you have shared everything about your story here and your other threads?  It sounds like a different company.  Best of luck solving your problems.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

DLS

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 05:01:05 pm »

I did not realize that you have to hire a lawyer to get them to  comply with their warranty.

Sincerely
Dr. Joel Murphy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185547\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seriously?

Your experience w/HP is nothing like mine. I called on a friday and they had a tech there on monday. They over nighted (via Fedex) parts directly to me from Idaho. This was for the pinch wheels/star wheels.

I wonder why you're experience could be so different ? They may not have always been smooth, but from what I've seen they've done everything you'd expect in support of a high end product for myself and the majority of others who post here. To imply that it's necessary to hire a lawyer to get warranty service is BS.

stevenh

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:33:35 pm »

I've not had the same problems with HP. A couple of times I had problems getting the phone tech to give me any non-standard advice but I usually wound up speaking to the next level up after a bit. I've always kept my cool even when I'm frustrated, since it does little good to alienate someone who is trying to help you. Besides they get vented at enough.

I've been pleased with the service since Ben W. and the others were notified about the problems here.
They've sent the parts out asap and my field tech comes asap. The field tech has always been an excellent advocate as well.

This is in the Midwest US, Iowa to be precise.

neil snape

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 04:50:21 am »

I am located in Tampabay Florida. I bought the printer from directly from HP USA. I will try to contact Ben Wolfe and see if he can help.

I do think it is appropriate for my comments to be read by someone thinking of purchasing  a HP printer. I wish I had more information about HP warranty service before I purchased. Their literature implies that they do on site service for the first year. I did not realize that you have to hire a lawyer to get them to  comply with their warranty.

Sincerely
Dr. Joel Murphy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185547\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sincerely hope Ben can help. Your story is perhaps built on misunderstandings considering the amount of posts saying tech support in the US is very good.

Yet this thread is about APS or not and your multiple cross postings are rants for which you are seeking help that you don't seem to find by way of tech support that other seem to find. I don't think you'll a lawyer can help you communicate with tech support so it shows once again a huge problem of misunderstanding and communication somewhere between you, HP and your people handling this, that others have not had.

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 02:29:41 pm »

I emailed Ben Wolf and listed the problems I had with getting support. I actually got a call from HP technical services and they are sending out a tech on Wednesday. In the months that I have been dealing with tech support they have never called and always refused to  send a tech for onsite repair.

I would greatly recommend that anyone goiing through the experience I have had contact Ben Wolf earlier and I thank those forum participants that directed me to him. It seems there are people in the HP organization that are interested in giving good support.

Dr. Joel Murphy

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »

To give everyone on the forum an update on my printer. After emailing Ben Wolfe, I immediately got an email back from him AND I got a call from HP support. In the past I had to call them on each correspondance taking 15-30 minutes to reach a designjet phone support person. So getting a call from HP was a dramatic 180 degree improvement in service. I also got a call today to make sure the technicians arrived!

They scheduled 2 technicians to do an on-site repair in 2 days. (Wed was the first day that I could be home). The technicians were knowledgable and professional and worked for 4 hours. They replaced the "mother board" with no success and then replaced the "sensor board" and the printer started working again.
The problem with the printer is that it would not work with an ethernet connection, but would work with a USB connection. The technicians were scraching their head as were my IT support group. When they looked at all the steps that I had taken they said that I should have demonstrated more anger and hostility on the phone with tech support until a supervisor agreed to send out an onsite repair order. I will take that advice, but it is not my nature to get hostile with workers that I am sure are only following the protocols they have been given by a bean counter that is penny wise and dollar foolish.

As I stated earlier I really like this printer and As I stated earlier I believe this printer is a leap forward in photography printer technology. I like being on the cutting edge - that is why I replaced my Nikon D2x and D200 with the D3 and D300 when they became available.

I was able to print my first print on my HPZ3100 from my D3 today and I am back in photography bliss.  I printed a picture of a rare rainforest bird called the Houtzan that took me 5 days in a dugout canoe with a couple of Peruvian Amazon Indians to capture (on the Peruvian Amazon workshop I led in March). The colors and detail of the print are vibrant and perfect - if I must say so myself. Now I can start trying some of the techniques I watched in Michael's fine art workshop download.

So for those people thinking about buying a HP 3100 I do recommend the printer but I would definately keep Ben Wolf's email handy if you start going through the experience that I did with their technical support. I do believe their phone support group needs a new set of protocols.

Without the help of the forum participants I would not have found Ben Wolf who was able to demonstrate to me how professional, efficient and effective HP support can be.

My printer has not been moved and has been connected to a APS voltage regulated power backup protector since it was turned on. If the hardware had failed after April 9th - when my 1 year warranty was over I would have had a very expensive repair bill. With that in mind I have changed my mind and decided to purchase the 3 year extended warranty. I hope that Ben Wolf does not leave HP during that time.

Dr. Joel Murphy
www.drjmphotography.com

drjdmm

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 01:30:23 am »

To give everyone on the forum an update on my printer. After emailing Ben Wolfe, I immediately got an email back from him AND I got a call from HP support. In the past I had to call them on each correspondance taking 15-30 minutes to reach a designjet phone support person. So getting a call from HP was a dramatic 180 degree improvement in service. I also got a call today to make sure the technicians arrived!

They scheduled 2 technicians to do an on-site repair in 2 days. (Wed was the first day that I could be home). The technicians were knowledgable and professional and worked for 4 hours. They replaced the "mother board" with no success and then replaced the "sensor board" and the printer started working again.
The problem with the printer is that it would not work with an ethernet connection, but would work with a USB connection. The technicians were scraching their head as were my IT support group. When they looked at all the steps that I had taken they said that I should have demonstrated more anger and hostility on the phone with tech support until a supervisor agreed to send out an onsite repair order. I will take that advice, but it is not my nature to get hostile with workers that I am sure are only following the protocols they have been given by a bean counter that is penny wise and dollar foolish.

As I stated earlier I really like this printer and As I stated earlier I believe this printer is a leap forward in photography printer technology. I like being on the cutting edge - that is why I replaced my Nikon D2x and D200 with the D3 and D300 when they became available.

I was able to print my first print on my HPZ3100 from my D3 today and I am back in photography bliss. I printed a picture of a rare rainforest bird called the Houtzan that took me 5 days in a dugout canoe with a couple of Peruvian Amazon Indians to capture (on the Peruvian Amazon workshop I led in March). The colors and detail of the print are vibrant and perfect - if I must say so myself. Now I can start trying some of the techniques I watched in Michael's fine art workshop download.

So for those people thinking about buying a HP 3100 I do recommend the printer but I would definately keep Ben Wolf's email handy if you start going through the experience that I did with their technical support. I do believe their phone support group needs a new set of protocols.

Without the help of the forum participants I would not have found Ben Wolf who was able to demonstrate to me how professional, efficient and effective HP support can be.

My printer has not been moved and has been connected to a APS voltage regulated power backup protector since it was turned on. If the hardware had failed after April 9th - when my 1 year warranty was over I would have had a very expensive repair bill. With that in mind I have changed my mind and decided to purchase the 3 year extended warranty. I hope that Ben Wolf does not leave HP during that time.

Dr. Joel Murphy
www.drjmphotography.com

rdonson

z3100 with or without ps
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 06:40:50 am »

It is really great to hear that your problems have been fixed, Joel, and that you're once again enjoying the capabilities of the Z3100.

The support issues you described are all too common when dealing with Fortune 100 companies who optimize around procedures and reducing support costs.  

The good news is that Ben Wolf stepped up and showed what HP can do when properly motivated.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up