Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hy6 Users here?  (Read 63855 times)

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2008, 11:43:37 pm »

Too bad the Hy6 design eliminated the threaded cable release socket that was present in Rollei camera bodies from SLX to 6008AF

Answered, Billy.

Was trying to get an ETA, but couldn't.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185938\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guillermo

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:40 pm »

I'm referring to the traditional/analog threaded cable release socket (near the hotshoe)

The problem with that plug was that it was very hard to find out in the wild. A real pain if you wanted to make all kinds of external controls yourself and you needed to source such a DIN-plug.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:50:17 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2008, 01:56:08 am »

Flat out, it's just lazy and dumb engineering to just remount the same 45 finder and handicap the REVOLVING (read as an absolute requirement for rectangular sensors) aspect of the backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well now we know the reason why (it is just an adaptation of the old finder), but I still wonder if the 45 degree back rotates like the old one did, and if you could then rotate the back with the finder rotated out the way. This would mean you could still avoid removing the back.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:56:46 am by foto-z »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2008, 02:10:56 am »

I can only give my opinion, for what it is worth, and those of the few photographers who have seen and tested this 90° finder (prototypes): very well designed, light and bright.

Thierry

Rest assured, the 90 degree finder for the Hy6 is a completely new design. It's high eyepoint and in no way comparable to that dreadful 6000 system 90 degree tele-finder. The new design is also the reason that it is only available after the 45 degree prism surfaced, while originally there was no 45 degree finder planned. (As explained the 45 degree prism is a touch-up of the old one, which is a very good finder, by the way.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185986\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2008, 02:12:32 am »

and for information: there was a "blue" version as well (the blue replacing the red)!

Thierry

Be happy they didn't follow one of the earlier color schemes with German traffic-orange (this one dating from 2006):
[attachment=5859:attachment]

For the real Hy6 afficionados: also take note of the badging...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2008, 07:01:04 am »

No, the 45º prism for the Hy6/AFi does not rotate like it did on the SLX/600x, but it can be taken off and remounted in different positions.

Well now we know the reason why (it is just an adaptation of the old finder), but I still wonder if the 45 degree back rotates like the old one did, and if you could then rotate the back with the finder rotated out the way. This would mean you could still avoid removing the back.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:01:25 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2008, 07:45:51 am »

No, the 45º prism for the Hy6/AFi does not rotate like it did on the SLX/600x, but it can be taken off and remounted in different positions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, so you could still remove the finder and then rotate the back. I think most people would rather do it that way to protect the sensor.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2008, 08:38:17 am »

Ok, so you could still remove the finder and then rotate the back. I think most people would rather do it that way to protect the sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehe, I ws about to post that yesterday

It's true, but it makes fast interactive work a bit of a pain. SLRs are all about convenience.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bryanyc

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:25 am »

Or you could do something really silly and mount the 45 finder sideways, and shoot the camera on its side and then you should be able to rotate the back.  grip isn't placed well then though    

Sheesh.

eronald

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »

I've had the good fortune of witnessing the Swiss development process  a few times. It's kind of interesting because they make elementary usability mistakes, and do not factor user practice, user error or abuse into the product, so you tend to have some early product breakage when the rubber hits the road. The assumption is that not only will the buyer read the instructions, but he will follow them however contorted.

I still remember with affection the strange tiny connectors and exposed circuitry on a $2000 tabletop robot made by a company founded by some people I worked with. One needed a loupe to manipulate it. The next model was finally scaled up and had a plastic shell, after they figured out that students, do, yes, break things.

After a while, if one can make them admit the problems, they will fix them, slowly, and make the product work. Once it works it tends to be rock solid, because they are wonderfully good at  keeping production in tolerance and they tend to use older, well established technology that does not break.

There is another problem that often occurs with the Swiss stuff - a tendency to use bespoke connectors, accessories, batteries etc in sizes which cannot be easily sourced. And a fanatical desire to conserve paper which translates into tiny, microscopic, print on the instruction manuals.

On the other hand, east-bloc technology (and Jenoptik was Zeiss Jena) has a tendency to be capable of withstanding terminal user abuse and bad environments, being designed for repair rather than replacement, and of being designed to be field-stripped.

I guess I like watching this process because I like pointing out mistakes
In fact, as a consultant I invoice for pointing out mistakes
When one only has lemons, I guess one should sell lemonade

Edmund

First there was a Hy6 with no 45 degree prism and no revolving connection to the back. Then independently from each other Sinar thought of making a revolving connection to their backs and F&H thought of adapting the old prism to work with the Hy6. In a way both developments could be seen as third party additions as they are not a result of centrally coordinated R&D, but rather stem from individual design teams in different companies. (Note that Leaf -the first one to adopt the 45 degree prism- does not have a revolving connection yet.) The poor interactivity is a pity of course, but on the other hand we would probably not have had any of the two options when they should have been developed through the Jenoptik Central Approval Commitee. So now we have a new accessory category for the Hy6: rookie products. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:51:31 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

StuartR

• http://www.stuartrichardson.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2008, 12:50:18 pm »

Does anyone know if the old Rollei 45 prism can be modified to work on the Hy6/AFi? Because I use a 6008AF now and I have a 45 prism already. If I decided to go with one of these cameras, it would be nice to know I could just have the bottom plate changed on the 45 prism, rather than spend another 1500 dollars on an already expensive camera system. (At least I have the lenses!)

And one general note...I think people underestimate the availability of used lenses for this system. Yes, the new AFD lenses are very very expensive, but the older PQ lenses and even the HFT lenses will work fine on the camera...many are similar or the same optical design, and they can be had cheaply (for the more common focal lengths...50, 80, 150). Anyway, it is just a gentle reminder that while your dealer (and Sinar/Leaf) may want you to spend another 20,000 dollars on lenses, you can equip yourself rather well for a fraction of that, particularly if you are willing to forgo AF on some of your focal lengths.

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »

Please keep us posted here if in fact F&H will modify, and at what price.
Thanks.

Ask F&H if they could modify your prism finder. They probably can and will, at a price. I've always found them very willing to help me out with specific requests.

Does anyone know if the old Rollei 45 prism can be modified to work on the Hy6/AFi?
Guillermo

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2008, 03:55:11 pm »

Just noticed this Hy6 kit for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-Hy6-eMotion-75LV...1QQcmdZViewItem
Guillermo

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2008, 11:04:14 pm »

I would go for that deal,however I already own a eMotion-75LV and have a Hy6 on order.
My deal is costing me a lot more.
Cheers,
Willem
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

flashfredrikson

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2008, 03:29:03 am »

Hi folks,

just got an offer from calumt munich on a whole leaf afi 7 system, despite the 150mm lens everything seems to be available the next weeks here in germany, 45° and 90° prism as well.
But as the dealer told me, there won't be a revolving adaptor from leaf ever!!! I already played with the sinar hy6 with the adaptor and i really liked it, so what's up with leaf?

Maybe hopefully those guys at Calumet don't know what they are talking about (like usually) and someone (yaya?) could chime in here again...

cheers,
martin

amsp

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2008, 07:54:08 am »

I think the fact that Sinar and Leaf make separate parts for the same camera is kind of ridiculous and off-putting for the customer. There should have been just one Hy6 with the same back mount if you ask me. That way the customer could buy the camera and pick the DB they like and Sinar and Leaf wouldn't have to make separate revolving adapters for example. The whole things is pretty confusing to me.

thsinar

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2008, 08:25:33 am »

Dear amsp,

The Hy6/AFi has the same mount/fix on the body side, but it's pretty difficult (impossible) having one same adapter (revolving or not) for the back side, knowing that the backs have different communication connections/points, not even speaking about the sizes and the designs which are different as well.

Beside this, and to my knowledge, there is no other part which differentiates the 2 cameras.

Best regards,
Thierry

There should have been just one Hy6 with the same back mount if you ask me. That way the customer could buy the camera and pick the DB they like and Sinar and Leaf wouldn't have to make separate revolving adapters for example. The whole things is pretty confusing to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:18 am »

Except for the battery of course ...

Edmund

Dear amsp,

Beside this, and to my knowledge, there is no other part which differentiates the 2 cameras.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:16 am »

Yes.

Thierry

Except for the battery of course ...

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:57 am »

yes, there is a cable release in preparation, but I have no ETA as for now

Thierry, Since you're at Sinar in Switzerland
is there more information you can share?
Billy
Guillermo
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up