Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hy6 Users here?  (Read 63852 times)

MediumF

Hy6 Users here?
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:17 am »

Hello all,
After having read so much about the Rolleiflex/Sinar/Leaf Hy6 on the net and seeing the first deliveries taking place, can anyone here give us more hands-on info? The LL Hy6 review was short and sweet, and not in depth. Would love to know more about all the nitty gritty.

The reason I want to know more is that I took the plunge and ordered an analogue Hy6 version, as my first step into MF after years of working with Leica    The ability to have different backs available later when I get the cash collected also influenced me, as well as Schneider glass, my all time favorite. Hasselblad V had my interest for a long time, but I got cold feet every-time regarding cables and lens compatibility with backs. The Hy6 just seemed a perfect candidate.

Especially hands on info about the digital back/Hy6 combo would be fantastic to hear about.
Thanks to all in advance!

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:13:32 am »

Hi, Medium,

Welcome!

I haven't seen much here, but you can find Nicolas Claris' Hy6 experience postings over at http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forum...isplay.php?f=16

Best regards,
Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:19:50 pm »

Hello all,
After having read so much about the Rolleiflex/Sinar/Leaf Hy6 on the net and seeing the first deliveries taking place, can anyone here give us more hands-on info? The LL Hy6
Thanks to all in advance!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183897\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm working with Hy6 and e75LV since three mounths now. As I already said I didn't find another MFDB that can reach a film like look  as Sinar + Blumbaer (Sinar + Capture Shop rendition is on the average with the other brands but ... ugly software!! let's hope for the upcoming Exposure).
I use it for furniture and interiors pictures so I never use AF but when I use it it doesn't seems to be great especially in low light conditions; Live video is a must for my work and it works great. It's a well built camera, probably some little adjustement have to be done in the future like the battery indicator wich is very tricky, anyway I'm very satisfied with this combo. I'm using the 40mm Super Angulon (I thought it was better about barrel distortion), the 60mm Curtagon (excellent but out of production), 80 AF (very good but not great AF) and 150mm Tele Xenar (excellent boeke but the closer distance from the subject is 1,4 mt.)
If you have any question ask me .. no problem to answer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:21:40 pm by favalim »

Graham Mitchell

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:27:28 pm »

80 AF (very good but not great AF)

Surely that's up to the camera not the lens?

and 150mm Tele Xenar (excellent boeke but the closer distance from the subject is 1,4 mt.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried the extension rings? There is a full set available which I often use for close-up work.

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:52:34 pm »

Surely that's up to the camera not the lens?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure really, I'll have to check it better with my dealer

Have you tried the extension rings? There is a full set available which I often use for close-up work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I have the 34mm but then it's too much closer   I'll have to take a real makro indeed

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:47:43 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:19:14 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

Rune Werner Molnes

• http://www.runemolnes.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:21 am »

Hi,

I have one Leaf AFi7 on order. After using it for a while, I would be happy to share some of my experience here.

BJNY

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:22:58 am »

Deleted
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:19:29 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

MediumF

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:23:35 pm »

Hi, Medium,

Welcome!

I haven't seen much here, but you can find Nicolas Claris' Hy6 experience postings over at http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forum...isplay.php?f=16

Best regards,
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Brad, this is a great link!
Cheers,
Theo

MediumF

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:30:41 pm »

I'm working with Hy6 and e75LV since three mounths now. As I already said I didn't find another MFDB that can reach a film like look  as Sinar + Blumbaer (Sinar + Capture Shop rendition is on the average with the other brands but ... ugly software!! let's hope for the upcoming Exposure).
I use it for furniture and interiors pictures so I never use AF but when I use it it doesn't seems to be great especially in low light conditions; Live video is a must for my work and it works great. It's a well built camera, probably some little adjustement have to be done in the future like the battery indicator wich is very tricky, anyway I'm very satisfied with this combo. I'm using the 40mm Super Angulon (I thought it was better about barrel distortion), the 60mm Curtagon (excellent but out of production), 80 AF (very good but not great AF) and 150mm Tele Xenar (excellent boeke but the closer distance from the subject is 1,4 mt.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Favalim for the info here.
What do you think about the Sinar menu system? Some people complain that it is not as clear and easy to use as the Phase One menu system in reality use but I have no idea if that is true nor very important.
Also: the new Schneider AFd lenses as supposed to be better due to higher tolerances in their assembly; any ideas or comments on that? Might just be sales PR....
Thanks,
Theo

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:43:35 pm »

Thanks Favalim for the info here.
What do you think about the Sinar menu system? Some people complain that it is not as clear and easy to use as the Phase One menu system in reality use but I have no idea if that is true nor very important.
Also: the new Schneider AFd lenses as supposed to be better due to higher tolerances in their assembly; any ideas or comments on that? Might just be sales PR....
Thanks,
Theo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I could agree about the menu not very easy to use  but it is a minor issue to me. About the Afd lenses I'm not the one who can give you the right comment: I just use the 80mm as Afd lens and maybe it's not a good example as  it doesn't work that great; If somebody has tried the 80 Afd Schneider on Hy6 or Afi please let us know something.

MediumF

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:36:31 pm »

Thanks Brad, this is a great link!
Cheers,
Theo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After checking this hands on report, I think that the quote I saw on Internet somewhere by a person who said the Hy6 was "Viktor Hasselblad's wetdream" was right. I am flabbergasted by the results shown here....I still love and use film, but when I see this report I just think digital has really 'grown up' the past years and reached a really amazing level. The combination of a flexible camera with Schneider/Zeiss glass is what I have dreamed about...Now to start saving for that expensive back! Will have to be satisfied enjoying "wet digital dreams" until then....
Cheers,
Theo

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:16:05 pm »

After a few days with the Hy6's menus I finally got the hang of them. Each control (shutter/focus mode/flash/meter) has a sub-menu which is accessed by its own local button. Now I'm used to it, it feels very logical, like a mac does.

I've been working out doors recently and the Hy6 performed very well in -4 degree conditions last weekend, better than I did in fact. Even though I was wearing gloves the wind chill rendered my hands into blocks of ice within minutes - ouch! My consolation was that the pictures turned out excellent even if the client didn't go for them in the end. Such is life.

I like this camera a lot. Well worth the wait.

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:11:40 pm »

After a few days with the Hy6's menus I finally got the hang of them. Each control (shutter/focus mode/flash/meter) has a sub-menu which is accessed by its own local button. Now I'm used to it, it feels very logical, like a mac does.

I've been working out doors recently and the Hy6 performed very well in -4 degree conditions last weekend, better than I did in fact. Even though I was wearing gloves the wind chill rendered my hands into blocks of ice within minutes - ouch! My consolation was that the pictures turned out excellent even if the client didn't go for them in the end. Such is life.

I like this camera a lot. Well worth the wait.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Carl, wich lens did you use? what about the AF performance?

amsp

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »

I really hope we'll see PhaseOne backs on the Rolleiflex Hy6 one day, being confined to leaf and sinar is a no-go for me.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 03:44:53 pm »

I really hope we'll see PhaseOne backs on the Rolleiflex Hy6 one day, being confined to leaf and sinar is a no-go for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seconded.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 03:31:43 am »

Carl, wich lens did you use? what about the AF performance?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have any AF lenses. I've never really got MF/AF as the Rollei's are such easy cameras to focus with manually. I do have 10 manual focus lenses though - all very solid!

I used a Carl Zeiss 250mm Sonnar on a Schneider Longar 1.4 teleconverter as the subject (a decaying fortress in the North Sea) was quite a distance away.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 06:46:06 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi I think this QUESTION OR WISH has been gone over & over for more than a year now! I cannot see Sinar allowing PO on board. Sinar is trying to increase market share in the MFD market not loose it. Sinar owns the Hy6 & has allowed Leaf on board.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:49 am »

Hi I think this QUESTION OR WISH has been gone over & over for more than a year now! I cannot see Sinar allowing PO on board. Sinar is trying to increase market share in the MFD market not loose it. Sinar owns the Hy6 & has allowed Leaf on board.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Denis,
I hope you are wrong as I'd also like to see a Phase or Imacon back on the Hy6.  But I have to also be honest - I want the Hy6 with a 48mm square sensor (that I can program the crop on without rotating or use square and a viewfinder that darkens to the crop I have programed) and this back will do ISO 1600 and at least 2 frames/sec and a 10 minute exposure.

Maybe I'm wrong but since Sinar/Jenoptic have invested into Franke and Heidecke then they would make some money just selling camera and lenses.   It's only Leaf that has nothing to gain and only to loose by PhaseOne coming to the party.

Carl,
Since you have stated you have 10 lenses, can I ask you which are your favorites?  I've got 8 now myself but use the 110mm most followed by the 180.

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:54 pm »

Hi Denis,
I hope you are wrong as I'd also like to see a Phase or Imacon back on the Hy6.  But I have to also be honest - I want the Hy6 with a 48mm square sensor (that I can program the crop on without rotating or use square and a viewfinder that darkens to the crop I have programed) and this back will do ISO 1600 and at least 2 frames/sec and a 10 minute exposure.

I hope you realize how extremely expensive this would be. I don't think there is a price point which could both turn a profit and which would be affordable. In other words, even if a back manufacturer made it, and the price was $50K, they would be lucky to sell more than one or two and would be looking at a serious loss. You would have to commission a one-off and then don't expect much change from a million

This might change once sensor production costs drop by 80% or more. Until then most people will be happy just to rotate the back and forego the square option.

Maybe I'm wrong but since Sinar/Jenoptic have invested into Franke and Heidecke then they would make some money just selling camera and lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I know, F&H is quite independent from Jenoptik so unless there is a contractual deal, F&H will keep the profits to themselves.

It all boils down to how much Phase is prepared to pay in license fees per back they sell in Hy6 mount. I'm sure there's a price at which Jenoptik would say yes (unless they are barred from doing so by contract with Leaf, etc).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up