Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hy6 Users here?  (Read 63924 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2008, 01:17:04 am »

http://www.red.com/store

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Red can people look at this topic.. [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24323]Red Thread[/url]

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bryanyc

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2008, 01:30:29 am »

I might add my 2c here (OK OK  $30,000.)

What is being expressed here is some frustration at the level of overall competency of product roadmap execution, cost and customer support.  

We are talking serious money here.  And what we often get are vague details, piss poor web sites, flash heavy, detail poor, coming soon (hah) components, multiple (confused) partners.

User Friendly User Friendly User Friendly:  that is the ticket we can't seem to get.  

The "Red" thing is actually the perfect analogy.  
1.  Well executed product, reasonably priced for the value
2.  Accessories clearly outlined, available.
3. Did I say "user friendly"?

The answer here would be to consider (if you please) the consumer, which is to say the professional  photographer, trying to assess the viability of a medium format system.  They are tired of hearing that they should spend $30G and wait for the rest of the upcoming system (Sinar & Leaf please stand) or perhaps be outmoded by a new model in the next year (Hasselblad, Phase stand up please).  

Perhaps the worst insult is what would be easiest to correct: simple clear information detailed on a web site.  I saw the web site for the new mamiya:  hello?  And the HY6/leaf/sinar:  um... somebody tell me quick and simple about the 3 viewfinders and who has what when how?  Hasselblad says they will be  discontinuing  a model, then they won't- and then they do.  The initial hy6 camera & back: oops: doesn't communicate exif to the back and thats coming and oops we forgot to tell that to the reviewers, funny they noticed- think we should have told them ahead of time?????

Come on.  Dysfunctional or what?  

Unfortunately the answer to all of this confusion comes down to:  Canon.  Pretty damn good. 1/4 the price. Huge selection of lenses and accessories.  Very few "gotchas".

All the above points from previous posters are extremely valid.  Let some one else do the software for developing and do DNG.  

To remain defensive and obscure is not the path to success in the medium format business.

Did I say "User Friendly"?  Coming next year (perhaps)!

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 02:18:10 am »

So for once we fully agree on at least one thing, Thierry. That being great in itself (hooray!), it also calls for further comment from your side: why is Sinar not making this choice, since it is so obviously the way to go if you want to bring down the price of your backs by a good chunk and serve the needs of your customers at the same time? (I have asked this question before when I spoke with Sinar reps, but I never got a logical answer other than: "it's Jenoptik's decision". As we have learned from one of your recent posts Sinar has a great deal of influence in developing decisions from Jenoptik, so what is the big factor hindering to communicate this effectively? The last time I looked a new, comprehensive piece of software called Exposure was announced, instead of a cooperation with Adobe or Apple.)

EPd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have to give Theirry an A for effort and for hanging in on this though topic, it seems the other reps and dealers have disappeared on this discussion.

Once again, my point wasn't to compare the Red business model to medium format for only price, but for transparency and the quality of real information.

Regardless, it seems in medium format, the topic always moves to costs and yes it seems that software plays a big part in that.

As far as I know there is no real effecient and stable way to hot folder from even a simple capture setup like Canon's EOS utility and still have the complete speed and function of a propretary software like C1.

In fact the main reason I moved to Phase was for C-1 and it was not love at first sight.  The software is somewhat non intuitave and takes a while to figure out simple things like chaning thumbnail size, setting specific profiles, and setting specific shoot, process and capture folders, but once learned it is virtually bulletproof and very effecient for my work.

In fact once moving to the phase workflow I've saved many, many, many hours in my day because what I set on the computer as we shoot is very close to what I will produce for that ever gruelling first process of jpegs for web galleries.

Prior to C1 I had to batch process in 3rd party softwares and that makes for a roll your own scenario of exposure, color, balance, tone.  Even with basic presets it takes a lot more time.

But, If the software is really 1/2 the cost of a digital back, then why aren't the manufacturers all over someone like Bryan who writes Raw Developer and paying him to make universal tethering and processing software?

Now not all medium format is Audi A-8 expensive even with backups.  If you buy careful.
With my p30+ and P21+ im at a little over $30,000 and as I mentioned before 4 contax bodies and a dozen lens runs the complete medium format total to $50,000, including professional software.  If I just kept it to one p21 and one contax with 4 lenses, the costs would be much less than 20k.

I think if you look at a lot of the other manufacturers and shop hard for price, refurbished, etc. you can get the price down even further.

Not Canon 5d cheap, but compared to the newest 1ds3 and a full complitment of lenses, not that far off either.

JR
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:23:39 am by James R Russell »

yaya

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 03:50:11 am »

You have to give Theirry an A for effort and for hanging in on this though topic, it seems the other reps and dealers have disappeared on this discussion.

We're here James...or at least I am...

I just see this discussion going nowhere and what Thierry is going through now...well you know I've been there a few times before already - in public and in person and would rather not come across as one that repeats himself over and over again.

RED shows a lot of promise, but the proof, as we know (too well I'm afraid), will have to be in the pudding...I wish them only well, though.

Yair
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 04:32:18 am by yaya »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2008, 04:09:45 am »

That would be great but for one thing: tethered shooting would not be possible with existing 3rd party software. I mainly use the software to capture the image and export to Photoshop. I can not understand why people want so many features built into the back maker's software which already exist (and much more) in Photoshop.

All I need from the software is:
- support for tethering
- histogram
- focus check
- highlight recovery
- white balance/calibration controls
- TIFF export

If the RAW images were saved as DNGs then you could exclude the last three items, making it a pretty simple package, and cheaper. Then Photoshop can handle curves/levels adjustment, sharpening, cropping, rotation, distortion correction, JPEG conversion, white balance, and all the retouching.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree, why inventing the wheel again? Even to the point that Hasselblad (for instance) is not cooperative in sharing the spec's of their file format denying Hasselblad users to use Adobe as their preferred raw converter.

If cutting back on software development would mean a 30% price drop for the backs I would say go for it.

Mostly I tolerate the backmakers software because you simply have to use it for one or another reason but not because I like working with it so much. Now we are being told it is one of the factors that also makes our equipment so outragiously expensive!!???

The red does seem to be extremely cheap compared to MFDB, it also has dedicated software.

Leaf appears to have realized it is a good idea to have larger software manufacturers take up support for their files and actually help them to get the most out of it. I wish others would follow. There is still some stuff I would like to see implemented in the backmakers software that is not in PS/ACR, stuff that would cut me hours on each assignment.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 04:21:22 am by Dustbak »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:08 am »

No worries, Yair, I am still standing and able to hold on the discussion! It could be worse, what I am going through.

But effectively, it is somehow going nowhere, since there will always be "one" or "another" to jump in and try to shoot you down and make it becoming personal. This is where it becomes difficult to sustain a DISCUSSION with ideas exchange or suggestions. I don't understand why it has to be so.

While I understand and respect James' arguments and comments, and even find them very helpful, as well as those from many others, because I do not feel any personal nor company orientated "attack", and mainly because I feel it to be CONSTRUCTIVE, in opposition to DESTRUCTIVE, there are a few who make it a point to distort your own words or accuse you of being falsifying the reality with dubious proves or calculations and then extrapolating and applying it to you. That is simply not acceptable.

Best regards,
Thierry

I just see this discussion going nowhere and what Thierry is going through now...well you know I've been there a few times before already - in public and in person and would rather not come across as one that repeats himself over and over again.

RED shows a lot of promise, but the proof, as we know (too well I'm afraid), will have to be in the pudding...I wish them only well, though.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:05 am »

Same here: One P 25 2 year-old at CALUMET (like new) AFD body and 80mm, trade in for a RZ system at ADORAMA, 150mm and 45mm, trade for some 8x10 and 4x5 lenses at B&H, and a 35mm like new at ADORAMA...

And I am so happy that the two brands I went for: Phase and Mamiya, coincidentally are now working together.

amsp is correct, we are NOT "money-trees" I got all of this with two business credit cards and I am slowly paying back. My clients only see the final image and my satisfaction is to here them say: "how come your photos are so crispy?" or just whao when they open them in Photoshop.

I for one bought my entire kit second hand.. 2x Mamiya 645AFD, 4 lenses, P25, Profoto Pro6 and 3 heads. In total I probably saved at least 35000$. Manufacturers who think full-time working photographers in todays financially eroding market, who don't have a trust fund and has to take a loan to invest, can buy their equipment at the retail prices we are seeing are IMHO out of touch with reality. The days of huge budgets and "quality first" are sadly gone for the most part, but somehow we photographers are still expected to pay an incredible amount of money to keep up with the latest in technology.

Sorry for the rant, I guess you get slightly jaded having to deal with clients never wanting to pay on one end, and being treated like an endless money-tree by the equipment manufacturers on the other end. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2008, 10:47:10 am »

No worries, Yair, I am still standing and able to hold on the discussion! It could be worse, what I am going through.

But effectively, it is somehow going nowhere, since there will always be "one" or "another" to jump in and try to shoot you down and make it becoming personal. This is where it becomes difficult to sustain a DISCUSSION with ideas exchange or suggestions. I don't understand why it has to be so.

While I understand and respect James' arguments and comments, and even find them very helpful, as well as those from many others, because I do not feel any personal nor company orientated "attack", and mainly because I feel it to be CONSTRUCTIVE, in opposition to DESTRUCTIVE, there are a few who make it a point to distort your own words or accuse you of being falsifying the reality with dubious proves or calculations and then extrapolating and applying it to you. That is simply not acceptable.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ask for transparency in pricing and this is the reply you get. This could very easily have been settled with numbers.

Save all the allegations and what is deemed acceptable or not. Give us the numbers.

Please.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:49:13 am by Sean Reginald Knight »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2008, 11:12:59 am »

Well, it's an interesting discussion. I haven't jumped in because I was just waiting to see who the Hy6 users were and how they were doing...of course I already know there aren't many.....yet.

And I am no industry scribe - I help people determine equipment choices, sell them that equipment and support them. I collaborate with manufacturers on various levels - some deeper than others, depending on the quality and willingness of cooperation. So, I don't have a lot to add as well, other than nodding my head..."Yes, he's right, and yes, he is right too....

I detect a lot of emotion (no pun intended Thierry) and a lot of frustration.

It would be very interesting to see a poll of how satisfied photographers with their medium format purchase. In fact, if I was a manufacturer, I would send out a regular poll to my users and see what they think of their experience in terms of their buying experience and their experience using the product and the support they've received (both before and after they bought from the manufacturer as well as the dealer).

To a manufacturer, numbers are extremely important. They affect everything. If you have 70% of your users extremely satisfied with their experience, and who feel you are on the right path, and 30% the opposite, that implies that a 10% or 20% increase in satisfaction performance would have a significant effect on sales. And it probably would. But then there is the issue of resources, if devoting X resources to Y improvement leads to 7% increase in sales, but the cost of the resources represent a 19% increase in cost, and - in addition - pushes off to the future that significant project that 70% have been clamoring for, and yet will not deliver that satisfaction increase for 18 months because of component shortages, as well as the difficulty of getting it right, what to do? How does that effect your organization and its ability to satisfy that other 70% of your market so that you stay in business in an extremely competitive market?

I am (clearly) not an economist. But this is a much more complicated situation than any of the well intended (and correct, on the money) posts have indicated. We'd like to sit here and say, Well why can't they just.....??? I know most of the members of these organizations, some very well. And there is a lot of talent involved (that you never come into contact with). I believe they are doing the best they can. But they all have different approaches and different challenges (and similar ones). I believe if they could make more profit by lowering the price - and that is what this is all about, ultimately, just as it is with most of you - they would do so. Since they haven't, they cannot or they have not found a way. And if any one of you really had an idea on how to do that, then you should be in their boardroom charging an extremely hefty consulting fee instead of posting on a public forum.

I believe they hear you. But hearing and acting are two different things. It is extremely difficult to cull the correct path forward from many, many voices, almost all of which have a valid perspective, but which all represent only one individual perspective.

Take as an example, this:

- support for tethering
- histogram
- focus check
- highlight recovery
- TIFF export

And even seconded by some. Do you know how much heat any of these guys would catch if this is all they offered? This might satisfy some, but it would incense many. And even the task of deciding what to offer (which is then impacted by the ability to offer it, and at a reasonable R&D/production cost, and in appropriate time frame) is incredibly difficult, complicated and fraught with peril.

Anyway - I am not trying to have anyone's back here - I am in that no man's land of positions, I serve customers, and I represent manufacturers. I am loyal to my customers, but I am also sympathetic to my manufacturers. And I strive to understand the quandaries of both. It's vastly easier to understand the quandaries of photographers when you're in their environment everyday. It's much more difficult to understand the challenges of a manufacturer. But I kow they exist. The bottom line is - keep the information coming, no matter how frustrating it may become. That is the most beneficial thing you can do.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:14:47 am by pprdigital »
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2008, 11:30:25 am »

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair,

I think your right, this is the discussion from years ago and Theirry is also right that most of the conversation here is constructive rather than destructive.

The upside from a few years ago is we see much more maturity in digital backs and some better dealings on price.  There are now more in the market and this has given more options.

We also see much, much better software from the manufacturers both proprietary and 3rd party.

That's a huge leap from two years ago.

Also I think it should be clear that for the people that rely on this equipment to earn a living, it's a big decision and there is a lot of trepidation in deciding on which system would be best for them.

I do think more information on a website would be a good start.

I also understand that the dealers are relied upon for a lot of what you see on the Red site.  Storage, computers, monitors, and accessories and knowing Steve and Dave I can see where in most cases if you have questions or issues you would never have to call a manufacturer, as that is part of their service.

Still, my reason for showing the Red site was not to sell video cameras, but to get across how much easier it is to first go on a companies site, get all the information you need and then start making inquiries.

Yair, yes your are right again about the Red and the proof in the final product.  I've been interested in this camera for some time and though I am still a little ambivalent as to what you do with 4k moving digital files, I have already heard word that it's great, where the next person says it just looks like any digital video, so just as in the still world, the video world has a lot of personal opinion and cross information.

I think we all know that this forum is the only public forum that comes close to offering medium format and professional discussion so given that it's public, the positive will come with the negative.

Still, as a lot of this conversation is almost identical to the RG days, it does make me wonder as of why after 2 years, many people still have the same questions and concerns?

Let's take the AFI on Leaf's site for example and compare it to the RED site.

They are both new and  somewhat ground breaking cameras.  They both have a lot of options and they both require a huge money and time investment from their users, especially their new users coming from film.

On the Red site in about 15 minutes you can pretty much price out everything you need to mount the camera on a stand and start working and yes there are some hidden costs and yes, that $17,500 will quickly become $30,000 if your not careful, but there is still real information on what it takes to buy, use, and hopefully make art and commerce with the camera.

Looking at the Leaf AFI site at least I see real information about what new and legacy lenses work on the camera, but there is no real comprehensive area that shows how an AFI back works with an Alpa, (or any technical camera) and what rollei lenses will attach, what wider lenses are needed  and in other words how to interactively build your system on the web with a one button push to get prices, or even a dealer quote, much less real world availability.

I will stress this point again, there are some good dealers out there and Steve with PPR and Dave  with Capture Integration  I know personally so I know they will give you real world help, but I also know a whole list of photographers that attempt to buy from other sources, or have been turned off by dealers just because the calls weren't returned, the initial bid was over the top or the information was just flat wrong.

In fact I know photographers that know these two dealers personally, but still buy from others, just because the price is lowballed by some dealer that has an oversupply of stock, so I think this illustrates how important price is to most people.

In the last month I know I have had contact with 5 photographers that have cash in hand to buy a medium format system (or upgrade to one of the new cameras) and to a person only one has purchased a medium format back, though all have bought something new from Canon or Nikon.

Just because medium format relies on the dealer system, doesn't mean they shouldn't up their game on offering an easier way to price and buy.  How difficult is it to put a build your own section of the site with a click that goes to a dealer for a quote?  then again your making the leap of faith that the dealer will actually respond.

Last week I needed a new battery charger for my Phase and rather than call Dave and bug him on such a small item, I thought I would pick one up locally and called the largest Phase dealer in the country.  Rather than just give a credit card and have it delivered by messenger, they wanted credit information faxed, copy of my driver's license and included shipping costs to their store!

All for a bloody battery charger, which makes me wonder what the conversation would be if I just called out of the blue and asked what a complete system, (including lenses), would cost.

It also makes me wonder that if they don't have a battery charger, what happens if I need something even more substainial.

Don't think this doesn't run off a lot of customers.

If medium format continues to charge premium prices, then they need to insure they and their dealers offer premium service and information.

Yair, your right, these are the same discussions of the past, but the reason doesn't come from the buyer's or the people on this forum, just wanting to here themselves talk, i's because medium format still is  not giving all the answers in public.

JR

P.S.  I'd like to concure with Steve and add this is the place for open discourse.  Just because an issue is made public, doesn't make it any more or less valid and yes, the web has a lot of wrong information, but that's what an open forum can offer Yair, Theirry, Steve, Chris, etc. (and the rest of the professonals) a venue to get the record straight, or better yet address the issues.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:46:44 am by James R Russell »

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2008, 11:35:08 am »

... Give us the numbers.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://photal.nl/]http://photal.nl/[/url] and then click on Digitale camera's
Sinar/Jenoptic is a very little european firm, I agree with James' discussion but it should be forwarded first to the bigger companies  and Sinar for last.
I'm very satysfied with this combo and I can't go back to the 1Ds II even for a moment! 3D look, incredible DR with Brumbear, great lenses.
Yes it's expensive but once you jump into .. you forget the 40€ per day.

Ignatz_Mouse

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:51 am »

No idea what kind of work you do (but you mention velvia 50 so pehaps it is not fast moving?) of course but if you're looking for a square 66 mf body with film back and 80mm lens you really can pick up a v series for about £500.
Now of course if af, etc is essential for your art work the it would need to be the hy6 or an older rollei 6000 camera (ask fotoz about them for advice) but remember that any film based used medium format camera you by today you'll be able to sell for the same in a year or so you do not have to wory too much about future investment, digital ready etc.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, Marc.

My work is mainly landscape and still subjects and, of course, AF is not essentialy needed here but due to some recent health problems my eyesight is not as good as I would like and sometimes it's hard for me to get proper manual focus, so I prefer to use an AF camera if I can. The Rolleiflex 6008 is a camera that I really like and I can get one now with 80mm lens and film back, all new, for 3.000 euros. I seriously consider this option if finally I decide not to go after the Hy6.

I know that photographers like Jeff Wall, Gregory Crewdson and others usually work with large format cameras but I prefer to use something lighter and more portable. I don't need very big final prints.

The price I've got from the dealers here in Sweden is ~6500 € + taxes (25% here in Sweden).
This includes:
- Camera body with wlf: ~3.200 € (plus taxes)
- 80mm lens: ~2000 € (plus taxes)
- Film mag adapter plate.
- Film mag 645 (6x6 not available yet)
/Salu2

Hola, Samuel.

That's the price I imagine or suppose the Hy6 with 80mm lenses and film back is going to be. Maybe a bit cheaper here in Spain (16% VAT taxes).

Of course, I like the 503CW and the Zeiss glass but, as I've said before, I prefer an AF camera. The P20 back looks like an interesting option but I'm not sure if I could live with its crop factor... What's your experience with this issue? Do you usually need to go wide? What about the integration of the 503CW with the P20 (is it the P20 or the P20+)?

Salu2

snickgrr

• http://
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2008, 11:59:14 am »

Take as an example, this:

- support for tethering
- histogram
- focus check
- highlight recovery
- TIFF export

And even seconded by some. Do you know how much heat any of these guys would catch if this is all they offered? This might satisfy some, but it would incense many. And even the task of deciding what to offer (which is then impacted by the ability to offer it, and at a reasonable R&D/production cost, and in appropriate time frame) is incredibly difficult, complicated and fraught with peril.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are very correct in this.  There are those that would be content with a minimal tethered software, others would want it all.  There is still talk every now and then on the Leaf forum asking when this or that feature of the software will be available.

If all they offered was a software to get the file correctly into the computer, people would be waving their arms pointing to the next person's software and saying "Look what they have, why can't we have that".

And trying to give the moon, the sun and stars also has it's drawbacks of bugs and whatnot.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:00:07 pm by snickgrr »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2008, 12:05:59 pm »

I would be very content with that list but indeed would like to add a bit more;

Moire removal
Hot folders (eg. invoke PS actions or droplets)
CA/Lens correction

For that you can leave out;

Highlight recovery
Tiff Export

But in exchange I would like to have the best raw conversion from ACR (PS/Lightroom). If that means prices can come down or I can get really back specific extra functionality (like 3" 900K dots live view) I am all for it.

Graham Mitchell

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2008, 12:20:54 pm »

I would be very content with that list but indeed would like to add a bit more;

Moire removal
CA/Lens correction
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...but these are exactly the kind of features which are already available in PS. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel and make the software more expensive?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:21:55 pm by foto-z »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2008, 12:28:16 pm »

...but these are exactly the kind of features which are already available in PS. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel and make the software more expensive?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think while there's definitely pluses to relying on 3rd party software, there are definite minuses.

For a hardware manufacturer to rely on a company like Adobe or Apple to provide specific tools important to their (relatively tiny) user base is a very slippery slope. Photographers who use medium format products have very different needs and hoping a company the size of Adobe or Apple will accomodate those needs for that small group (and with promptness, of course) is a big hedge to bet your company's success on.

Cooperation with these large market companies is important but dependence is risky.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:28:43 pm by pprdigital »
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2008, 12:38:35 pm »

If 1000 pros need special software, they can get together and eg. pay $500 to a guy like Bryan to write it - I'm sure that $500 000 will buy you any software you can name these days, open-sourced so it can be maintained.

Of course, if you have to pay a company to make the software then the dealer needs his cut, the manager needs his cut, the sales guy needs his cut, and the poor software guy gets ... fired because nobody can remember what he is actually there for.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:55 pm »

Of course, if you have to pay a company to make the software then the dealer needs his cut, the manager needs his cut, the sales guy needs his cut, and the poor software guy gets ... fired because nobody can remember what he is actually there for.
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Isn't that the truth?      

amsp

Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:13 pm »

I think while there's definitely pluses to relying on 3rd party software, there are definite minuses.

For a hardware manufacturer to rely on a company like Adobe or Apple to provide specific tools important to their (relatively tiny) user base is a very slippery slope. Photographers who use medium format products have very different needs and hoping a company the size of Adobe or Apple will accomodate those needs for that small group (and with promptness, of course) is a big hedge to bet your company's success on.

Cooperation with these large market companies is important but dependence is risky.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't really agree, for me ACR surpassed C1 over a year ago in both quality and functionality. Since then I only use C1 for tethered shooting into LR or Bridge. Adobe would never abandon the pro market since it's both good PR and revenue. And lets face it, trying to compete with giants like Adobe and Apple is a loosing battle, not to mention costly. So, if the DB manufacturers could strip down their respective software to bare minimum or eliminate it completely and use that saving to lower the prices of the backs instead I'm all for it.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hy6 Users here?
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 02:18:28 pm »

I find the moire removal that is in the Leaf software superior than what can be achieved in PS, also the moire removal in Phocus seems (have not been able to test that myself) to be a lot better. CA and lens correction (DAC) in Flexcolor is far more accurate than anything I can achieve in PS. Naturally these corrections do need to take place within the Raw file and not during processing. Maybe these things should be specified carefully and handed over to Adobe so they can be incorporated in ACR

Anyway if PS can do better, fine. Point is that the more generic stuff that can be done via/by PS the more manufacturers can concentrate on really adding value.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:24:29 pm by Dustbak »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up