Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life is good.  (Read 5791 times)

Tapeman

• http://
Life is good.
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:51:37 pm »

After spending a lot of time on gear forums, I am glad to say I am about done with buying new photo gear.

I am done with the "gotta have the latest & my DSLR will smoke yours at ISO one million".

Sure I am going to add a few items to my kit, but overall I am happy with the capability of my present gear.

I have so much to learn about photography especially photoshop and printing that new stuff will distract me from what I need to work on.

I feel that I switched from to film digital at a good time, and forums like this are very helpfull for amatures like my self.

Just a silly rant about a fun hobby.
Tapeman.  Canon shooter. Acquiring gear

Petrjay

Life is good.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:40:08 am »

Tapeman, I like your attitude. I made a similar decision back in 1981; to forget about buying more gear, to limit myself to my Pentax 6X7 and a normal lens and to concentrate on making images. For me it worked, at least until last year, when I picked up a 5D. By the way, I'm a substance abuse counselor with extensive experience in dealing with addiction. Should you stumble onto a B&H advertisement and withdrawal symptoms appear, (tremors, hallucinations, excessive drooling) it probably means that a relapse is imminent. Please feel free to give me a shout and we'll see about getting you into a 12-step program. All addictions are tough to deal with and Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) is one of the worst. Remember, one day at a time. Of course I'm still in denial concerning my fly fishing GAS, but I haven't bottomed out yet, so we'll let that one go for the time being.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:58:27 pm by Petrjay »

Geoff Wittig

Life is good.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:18:59 pm »

Tapeman, I like your attitude. I made a similar decision back in 1981; to forget about buying more gear, to limit myself to my Pentax 6X7 and a normal lens and to concentrate on making images. For me it worked, at least until last year, when I picked up a 5D. By the way, I'm a substance abuse counselor with extensive experience in dealing with addiction. Should you stumble onto a B&H advertisement and withdrawal symptoms appear, (tremors, hallucinations, excessive drooling) it probably means that a relapse is imminent. Please feel free to give me a shout and we'll see about getting you into a 12-step program. All addictions are tough to deal with and Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) is one of the worst. Remember, one day a a time. Of course I'm still in denial concerning my fly fishing GAS, but I haven't bottomed out yet, so we'll let that one go for the time being.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is perfect!  
Most of us are potential gearheads, always lusting after the next big thing, victims of what Mike Johnston calls the 'silver bullet syndrome', hoping that the pefect lens, or printer, or new camera will miraculously turn our pedestrian photos into pure beauty. Except it always makes sense to really learn the quirks of the gear you already have, and work it to its absolute limit, before you honestly recognize a genuine need (as opposed to lust) for something better.

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
Life is good.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:31:12 pm »

are you really an addiction counselor? I'd love to talk!

I inherited my GAS from my father.... and to make things worse, I literally inherited his cameras when he passed away a few years ago as well!

I'm crafty enough to justify my purchases as tax right offs.... and cycle through them as my schedule "C" permits. I also use mores law as an excuse to purchase new Macs.

But.... at least I'm not addicted to drugs, sex, gambling or sports! ( my comeback to my wife every time she sees the CC bill )

Just the other day I had a thought/idea of a therapist that charges 99¢ per text message. You might be the perfect host!

Petrjay

Life is good.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:49:12 pm »

Witzke, I'm afraid I don't like the sound of this. Let's see: a genetic GAS predisposition inherited from your dad, rationalization, justification, deception, illegal activities, marital discord. I don't need a crystal ball to visualize your future, which will almost certainly consist of a long period of residence in a cardboard refrigerator carton under a bridge, where you'll while away cold dreary evenings scratching cootie bites, sipping from the communal Ripple jug and waving torn-out advertisement pages from a ten-year-old copy of Popular Photography at any terrified passerby who can't outrun you, all the while screaming at the top of your lungs: "SEE THAT!!!! SEE THAT!!!!!  I USED TO HAVE ALL THAT STUFF!!!!! I HAD IT ALL!!!! ALL OF IT!!!! IT WAS MINE, ALL MINE!!!! MUHUHUHUAAAAHAAAA!!!!!!!"

Of course what I conveniently failed to mention in my previous post was that since forsaking the venerable 6X7 last year and acquiring the 5D and a 24-105mm zoom, my partially completed shopping list has consisted of a 70-200 f2.8, a 100mm macro, a 50mm f1.4, a 24" iMac, Photoshop CS3, an HP Z3100 24" printer and enough "necessities" to fill a Chevrolet Suburban. I suppose you could call it a case of "physician heal thyself," although like any relapsing addict, I believe that my 26 or so years of relative sanity have entitled me to a little extravagance in my not-quite-old age. Now Witzke, where did you say you got that refrigerator carton? I'll need at least an 8-footer, so I'll have room for the stray dog who'll be keeping my feet warm.

Cheers,

Peter Jacobson

TaoMaas

Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:41:31 am »

Tapeman, I like your attitude. I made a similar decision back in 1981; to forget about buying more gear, to limit myself to my Pentax 6X7 and a normal lens and to concentrate on making images. For me it worked... 

Hmmm...interesting concept....concentrating less on equipment and more on making better images.  Somebody ought to write an article about that.  

witz

Life is good.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:47:55 am »

Did I say I was doing anything illegal? I live a clean life.

Also.... my gear allows me to make a great living that allows my family to have a great lifestyle.
and I think I actually spend less per year now with a digital workflow then I did shooting film... and I'm not filling the dumps with 8X10 polaroid junk anymore!

good read though.

witz

Life is good.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:55:45 am »

Hmmm...interesting concept....concentrating less on equipment and more on making better images.  Somebody ought to write an article about that.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well......

I think I do spend more time shooting now then....

• back and forth to the lab ( not wasting fuel )
• waiting for film/roids to process
• hanging out in camera stores ( most things ordered on line now )
• filling landfills and streams with film/roid waste
• delivering proofs ( all ftp server delivery now )

hell, I have clients I've never even met in person half way round the world!

all because of the incredible advances in camera technology.

it allows me to be more of a misanthrope then a ludite!

Tapeman

• http://
Life is good.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:15:53 am »

OK, I'm outted. That was an incincere post.
The guise of wanting to improve my skill with my present equipment was due to lack of funds,(tax time) and in fact a cry for help.
I have GAS.
My wish list is test of my typing skills.
I have camera bags that match my shoes.
I wear my camera backpack on my treadmill.
All my travel plans revolve around photgraphy.
I spend hours every day on photgraphy web sites.
I have no less than 6 photo dealers in my list of favorites.  
Unfortunatly my wife is an enabler, so there is little hope for me.

Counciling may be in order, but only if lets me spend more with less guilt.
Tapeman.  Canon shooter. Acquiring gear

Colorado David

Life is good.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:51:35 am »

I carry 30 pounds of lead shot stage weights in my backpack on the walking/running track at the YMCA.

sojournerphoto

Life is good.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:40:02 pm »

Hmmm...interesting concept....concentrating less on equipment and more on making better images.  Somebody ought to write an article about that.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No no no - it's the camera.....

anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Up