Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: G9 competition ?  (Read 28871 times)

Tapeman

• http://
G9 competition ?
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »

I am considering getting a small P&S.  I have a DSLR and a Leica  Digilux 1 (4mp)

Is there an other comprable P&S?  I probably only want the raw files for the exceptional/ lucky shot.
Tapeman.  Canon shooter. Acquiring gear

sojournerphoto

G9 competition ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:00:39 pm »

I am considering getting a small P&S.  I have a DSLR and a Leica  Digilux 1 (4mp)

Is there an other comprable P&S?  I probably only want the raw files for the exceptional/ lucky shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ricoh GX100 - see Michael's review. I like mine:)

Mike

JohnKoerner

G9 competition ?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:10:38 pm »

I like my G9

I just found a little blind snake today and took some fun macro shots with it:

Jack

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
G9 competition ?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:23:23 pm »

Nice find of the blind snake. I've never had a chance to capture one. I like my G9 also, BTW. Not perfect, but fine. It'll be the only camera I bring to Norway on a two week trip this year.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

mrleonard

G9 competition ?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:39:18 pm »

LUMIX LX2
Ive used this (and LX1) since they came out. Solid, dependable and small. The ricoh is delicate i've heard.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
G9 competition ?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:50:43 pm »

LUMIX LX2
Ive used this (and LX1) since they came out. Solid, dependable and small. The ricoh is delicate i've heard.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the past, I have used the GX100, and the G9. The GX100 is a very useful camera, well thought out, and dependable. The fact that it shoots DNG RAW makes life easier too. However, there was thing that annoyed me very much with the camera: when zooming in or out, in aperture priority mode, the set value for aperture would change!

For instance, lets say that I am shooting at f/6.3 at 24mm; then I zoom to 50mm, or 70mm, and the camera would change the aperture to something like f/8. If I choose one aperture (and one that is above the minimum value for aperture at telezoom), I want the camera to stick to it, not change it due to some sort of black-box calculation that is going on. So, aperture priority a la Ricoh GX100 did not suit me. Of course you can use manual mode, but aperture priority is my prefered mode of shooting. It was mistifying, but I got tired of having to waste time returning to my chosen set aperture, after zooming in or out.

As for the G9, it is a typical, solid Canon camera, what the G7 should have been in the first place, with RAW. One can see that Canon is in the edge, undecided as to whether or not to keep RAW in its top tier compact cameras. Of the big names out there (Nikon, Pentax, Sony) it is the only one that still offers RAW. Ricoh, and Panasonic/Leica are fringe brands, but offer RAW, perhaps to attract disenchanted users of the other brands. In the end, the G9 lens stops at 35mm, and I missed the wide-angle.

Which leads me to the LX2/DLux3 camera, from Panasonic (both cameras are made in Japan, even the Leica one, not that it matters for me, but could matter for somebody else perhaps). I have recently bought the DLux 3, just because I prefer its more subdued styling (personal preference). This is a camera that is now more than 1 year old, but it has everything I need for my travel/reportage photography, so I am quite happy with it.

Ghibby

G9 competition ?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:07:07 am »

I've been using a G9 for a few months now and have been very impressed overall. Sure the 35mm lens is a little limiting but I find it just makes me think a little more when composing images.  I carry it around everywhere with a POD beanbag, combine this with the excellent Image stabilisation and you can shoot at ISO400 and below in urban areas long after the sun has gone down.

Image quality with RAW and especially at ISO80 and 100 is superb and the detail it can pick up surprises me every time.  Chromatic abberations are not that severe and very easy to correct in ACR 4.xx

I've not used the GX100 but have handled them in shops. Build quality wise the Canon is the best of the bunch in my opinion, it feels as solid as a Leica!!

Ben

sojournerphoto

G9 competition ?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:36 pm »

I've been using a G9 for a few months now and have been very impressed overall. Sure the 35mm lens is a little limiting but I find it just makes me think a little more when composing images.  I carry it around everywhere with a POD beanbag, combine this with the excellent Image stabilisation and you can shoot at ISO400 and below in urban areas long after the sun has gone down.

Image quality with RAW and especially at ISO80 and 100 is superb and the detail it can pick up surprises me every time.  Chromatic abberations are not that severe and very easy to correct in ACR 4.xx

I've not used the GX100 but have handled them in shops. Build quality wise the Canon is the best of the bunch in my opinion, it feels as solid as a Leica!!

Ben
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

GX100 and G9 are quite different to handle. If you want a long tele on your P&S then the G9 is probably the best option. If you want a 24mm equivalent then you need the GX100.

My personal choice for the GX100 was because I liked the step zoom, the wider angle and much p[referred the interfcae. Also the GX100 fits in my pocket comfortably and the G9 is a bit more bricklike.

I just bought my daughter a G7 and have been impressed with the jpegs so far as well!

Mike

stiksandstones

• http://www.craigglaspell.com
G9 competition ?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 01:39:20 am »

I think I am the only one on earth that did not like the G9...owned it for 3 months and I just sold it at a loss. The images were same quality as much smaller cameras (the thing is not a nice pocket cam) and if came to the conclusion if I was shooting RAW or using hotshoe, might as well break out the 5D.
Now looking for a replacement, yet smaller-lighter camera to replace my sold G9.

Panorama

G9 competition ?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:16:15 am »

I think I am the only one on earth that did not like the G9...owned it for 3 months and I just sold it at a loss. The images were same quality as much smaller cameras (the thing is not a nice pocket cam) and if came to the conclusion if I was shooting RAW or using hotshoe, might as well break out the 5D.
Now looking for a replacement, yet smaller-lighter camera to replace my sold G9.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

perhaps you should look at the DP-1. I purchased a G9 and then returned it unused. It's simply another P&S with a small sensor, but the DP-1 uses a much larger APS-C sensor, something I think makes sense for small compacts.

sojournerphoto

G9 competition ?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:41:28 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not quite - I didn't buy one after trying it in the shop. I later bought the GX100 as it worked so much better for me. The image is still a small sensor image though - so if I want a large sensor image from a walk around (ish) camera or need to shoot in low light then I take the 5D. But the GX100 has been a useful companion at times when I didn't want to carry an slr or preferred the sketchy image quality.

Also, I was able to shoot video of my little girl riding her bike without stabilisers for the first time:)

When I tried the G9 I didn't even get as far as image quality - basically I couldn't get on with the menu driven interface and it doesn't really fit in a pocket.

Mike

SeanBK

G9 competition ?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 08:39:40 am »

I bought my wife G9 & she is not happy with it, when shooting in daylight. With flash in hotshoe it is not bad. She liked her old Kodak P&S 4mp better, better result. The G9 menu is not bad though. Overall not worth it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:41:25 am by SeanBK »

andylaiphoto

G9 competition ?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 11:48:26 am »

I've had mine for months now.  I don't use it anymore.  The images weren't any better than my SD850.  I too was happy with the option of RAW, but to tell you the truth it doesn't matter when the images still look like something from a PS.  I think that I'll soon replace it with a D40x or rebel XTI.

mrleonard

G9 competition ?
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 12:13:36 pm »

I seriously think you should get a Panasonic LX2...It is cheaper than the EXACT same camera branded under the Leica name, it is durable,FULL manual controls,28mm wide angle,16;:9 ratio. It comes up on craigslist and ebay for cheap too...
All the small sensor P&S that shoot raw have some noise issue...so be it...Therefore dont spend so much. The verdict isnt back on Sigma's DP1 yet...and it is expensive. I personally don't see the point of a super expensive P&S unless it can what a SLR can do..and that it give you a nice shallow depth of field for portraits etc. At 28mm and 4.5( I think) the DP1 will not do it...

mrleonard

G9 competition ?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:15:10 pm »

[attachment=6038:attachment]Here's a shot I took with it that was TERRIBLY noisy as it was backlit with NO flash.

sojournerphoto

G9 competition ?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »

I seriously think you should get a Panasonic LX2...It is cheaper than the EXACT same camera branded under the Leica name, it is durable,FULL manual controls,28mm wide angle,16;:9 ratio. It comes up on craigslist and ebay for cheap too...
All the small sensor P&S that shoot raw have some noise issue...so be it...Therefore dont spend so much. The verdict isnt back on Sigma's DP1 yet...and it is expensive. I personally don't see the point of a super expensive P&S unless it can what a SLR can do..and that it give you a nice shallow depth of field for portraits etc. At 28mm and 4.5( I think) the DP1 will not do it...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that an LX2 is also a nice camera...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
G9 competition ?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:12:17 am »

Indeed the DP1 seems to be a step in the right direction. Reports from early users are highly favourable with regards to image quality from the big sensor. Also, I read somewhere that Sigma is in the works to release other DP1 type cameras with different focal lenghts, including one with a zoom.

JohnKoerner

G9 competition ?
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:39 pm »

Nice find of the blind snake. I've never had a chance to capture one. I like my G9 also, BTW. Not perfect, but fine. It'll be the only camera I bring to Norway on a two week trip this year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks ... here are some more fun lil' pics I took this evening with my trusty G9

Jack

mzsupa5

G9 competition ?
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 03:22:31 am »

Has familiarity with 100% views of DSLR files made us lose sight of what a snapshot from a film compact would look like at the same magnification? How many colour films above 200 ISO did we really shoot in our compacts

Blipfoto

iso 400

I'm happy with the G9 for what it is

JohnKoerner

G9 competition ?
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 08:46:06 am »

Has familiarity with 100% views of DSLR files made us lose sight of what a snapshot from a film compact would look like at the same magnification? How many colour films above 200 ISO did we really shoot in our compacts

Blipfoto

iso 400

I'm happy with the G9 for what it is
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Heh-heh, that's exactly what I was thinking

Heck, even the Canon 1Ds (which costs several thousand) can't rival a Hasselblad or a Mamiya, but yet they still take amazing photos. A point-n-shoot isn't designed to rival a Hasselblad (or even a 1Ds) for image quality either, it is designed to be versatile, handy, and enjoyable ... while still providing a decent image to share with your friends and family.

One fellow said he didn't like the G9 because "it still produced images like a P&S." LOL, this is insane, to berate a camera for performing at the level it is. Of course a G9 produces images like a P&S, because that is what an G9 is!  They were never designed to produce images that would win resolution contests against the finest cameras $40,000 would buy; they were simply designed to produce reasonably-clear images, easily and handily, without having to lug a bunch of equipment around.

In short, the G9 was designed to produce images good enough to share with others, while still being handy enough to allow you the freedom to have fun!

Try it sometime

Jack
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:02:59 am by JohnKoerner »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up