Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me choose...  (Read 4491 times)

scott williams

Please help me choose...
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:48:27 am »

I'm looking to bring all my printing in house this year for a bunch of reasons:

-Save dramatically on album costs (20-25% if I do the prints & assembly). Printer would pay for itself in roughly a year.
-Improved customer service (1hour turnaround for emergency prints vs days with labs)
-Adding value to my packages by stressing that prints are fine art quality vs lab
-learning another aspect of digital photography.

The maximum size I'm looking for is a 17 inch printer, I don't really offer anything larger.

I've been scouring the internet (LL, Outback, photo.net, DWF) and am still cant decide which printer to get. I even attended the local pro shop's 'Meet the Epson Rep' but it didn't help.

As far as I can tell I've got 4 options available to me:

Epson 4000 (used)
Epson 4880
Epson 3800
Canon ipf5100

Epson 4000

Another photographer who I respect and trust has offered to sell me a used Epson 4000 along with the Imageprint RIP.

Pro's

Price-cheaper than everything, even the 3800. Gets me in the door.

Both black inks- Not sure how much switching I'll do, but pissing away $70 worth of ink with the 4800 is going to upset me even if I only do it once.

Imageprint RIP- From what I've been able to find out, this program is worth it even for the new printers.

Con's

No warranty. This is going to be a high volume production printer, so if it breaks I need it fixed ASAP.

Used- already wear and tear on printer, even if only a little.

No K3 inks- This can result in bronzing, gloss differential and B&W that aren't neutral. To a certain extent, all of these problems can be overcome with a combination of the Imageprint RIP, new papers (lustre & bartra) and the fact that I'm not much of a pigment peeper.

Epson 3800

Pro's

Cost- Initial outlay is reasonable

Inks- Has both K3 and both blacks on board, no waste in switching.

User friendly- Almost plug n' play....the biggest printer I've ever used is a R300, so this does matter.

Image quality- supposedly great.

Con's

Small ink tanks- the volume of printing I plan on doing, this will get costly.

No Roll Paper- Same thing, the bulk of my printing is going to be small odd sized prints for matted albums. With roll paper, I can nest these for optimum paper usage.

Build quaility- Seem's to be aimed at the advanced amateur. Not sure how long it will hold up.

Epson 4880

Pro's

-Build quality

-Ink cartridge size- 220ml equals savings

-Current print head and ink technology

-Roll paper support

-Ability to lease

-Warranty

Con's

-Ink swapping. Still not sure how much this affects me, but it's a big concern.

-Obsolescence. At the Epson seminar today, the guy was showing the 11800 model which has dual print heads and both inks. From what I've read, most people consider this a prototype of what the future, smaller Epson's are going to look like. Rumor's of new printers at Photokina are out there.

- Price. The second most expensive.

Canon ipf5100

The dark horse of the bunch.

Pro's

Both inks on board.

Current print technology.

New technology.

Warranty available.

Lease available.

Con's

Price. For some reason this printer cost's almost double ($2300 vs $1400) in Canada what it goes for in the US. This is pissing me off on principle alone. I'm not willing to take my chances with importing a US model.

Support. Terribly lacking. The fact that this printer has it's own Wiki is scary. The onsite repair is apparently a joke compared to Epson's.

Newbie Factor. From what I've read, this printer isn't the most user friendly (lack of profiles, odd menu's)

PS plugin. You get great results using this plugin, but from what I can tell, you can only print one image at a time, no support for nesting.

Conclusion

No idea.

Honestly, I'm flipping from model to model by the hour.

I'd really appreciate any fresh input, also if you disagree with any of my points.

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:22:42 pm »

a generic / non-brand specific recommendation =   buy a printer and just start using it.

you can go blind, bald, and crazy waiting/thinking about the technical aspects of printers (i.e. "the best...").
the admonition should be:  equipment is secondary to developing your eye /talent...
I still could be agonizing over my 4880 (which I bought) or some other model - but chose to just jump in - print /learn /develop techniques - and make prints.  Done more that 200 - and am learning more each day.

Sure Epson or some other vendor could come out with a new model tomorrow - but what I needed/desired was to print /develop my abilities now.  And after maxing out with that technology (learning the most that I could /creating prints that best match my minds eye) - I'll feel better understanding what I need /desire the next go-around.  But in the interim I'm learning /making prints / developing my abilities rather than debating  about switching carts /etc.    

Great photos are taken with cheap instamatic or 2-megapixel cameras - not just 39 megapix Haselblads.  Great prints (i.e. 'art' ) can be made with all sorts of printers short of the 11880.
encouraging the creative use of the ink jet printer as credible, imaginative, and accepted 'artistic' tool,rather than just a means for the accurate reproduction of bad and mediocre photographs and art.            artdigigraphie.com

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process.

-Edward Weston

titusbear
contemplativeeye.com

scott williams

Please help me choose...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

Thanks.

My biggest concern with the epsons is the clogging.

Have you had any problems yet with your 4880?

I don't plan on switching inks, so clogging is the only thing worrying me.

Scott.

mmurph

• http://
Please help me choose...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:44 pm »

1) You don't want the 4000.  

I still use an Epson 7600 for proofs. But compatred to modern inks, the 4000/7600 are mostly good for printing on matte papers - fine art papers - only. The gloss differenetial/bronzing and metamerism are an issue with glossy/photo appers.

I think you are going to be doing mostly Luster, Semi-matte, and Glossy for albums.

2) If you want to save money, you are going to want to go to rolls.  That leaves the 3800 out. I run all rolls, very few cut sheets.  The 220ml carts are the cheapest too, about the same cost ($82 shipped) as the 3800 carts.  Calculate the cost per mlfor ink and the cost per square foot for paper.

3) The 4880 is avalable at a good price right now with free media that brinsg the effective cost down.

Also a rebate for owners of previous Epson printers.  Maybe your friend can buy it to get the rebate? Or buy the 4000 for $300 and get the extra rebate on the 4880 by using the number on the 4000, and use the 4000 for matte only?

Or wait 6 months for a replacement - October at the earliest to ship.

I used my 7600 for 3+ years with photo papers only. Never switched inks.  

It really is not a big deal. You make a commitment to one type of paper that you use the most. I never had a need for matte papers. With the new fiber papers for fine art printing it is possible to stay all photo black.

4) Can't comment on the Canon.

Good luck.

Best,
Michael

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:09 pm »

Have you had any problems yet with your 4880?

It's a fine, well designed machine. I did have a significant problem with paper loading -
until I bit the bullet and read the directions - and realized that you have to set the small guide in the paper tray to match the width of the paper (when you're left handed and a Yale person - things like that are easily overlooked).  Even since realizing that - and posting a BIG note on the machine to remind me to set the guide - it works like the true professional machine that it is.  I only use matte black - so, like you, changing carts is not an issue.   I keep detailed info re: ink usage - and find I can print a full 17X22" page using between 1 and 5 ml of ink total (more often than not - between 2 and 4 ml per sheet - depending on the complexity of the image). Using 220 ml carts brings the ink cost down dramatically.  Even my most complex image(s) never use more than 5ml per sheet.
 I use QImage for printing, and that software - with the 4880 - lets me think about being creative vs. going back to my geek days and obsessing over technical details.  Collectors of my images in the US and Europe, have had only good things to say about the quality of the prints.

titusbear
contemplativeeye.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Please help me choose...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:11:40 pm »

Avoid the 4000. Many are ok, but when/if the start to clog they really clog.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

John Hollenberg

Please help me choose...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:10:20 pm »

I wouldn't consider it "scary" that the Canon printers have their own Wiki... just a good place to get information, since they don't have as long a history as the Epson printers.

Still, since you live in Canada, I would probably avoid the Canon.  Higher cost, and warranty support there may not be as good.  The warranty support in U.S. is actually quite good at this point.

My take:  go for the Epson 4880.

--John (Creator of Canon iPF Printer Wiki)

jpgentry

Please help me choose...
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:43:28 pm »

The only two I would even consider are the ipf5100 or Epson 4880.

Regarding the Canon... wrong, wrong, wrong.  All except the price which in Canada I know nothing about.

The Canon line would not be my dark horse but certainly at the top of your list.  Canon now has the best support in the industry and the printer is certainly the best of what you have mentioned.  The Epson even with 220ml inks will probably cost you more over the life of the printer (for ink) than the Canon.  While the Epson's build quality may be a bit better there are no chinks in the Canon's armor which I can't say for the Epson.

Best part of the Canon are: No clogs, No swaps, excellent roll feed and paper tray (good paper handling), MUCH faster than Epson (not the 11880 however), excellent support and service (in the US, but don't know about Canada.)

People are still regurgitating false information from Canon's early months in the business.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:53:12 pm by jpgentry »

scott williams

Please help me choose...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:16:46 am »

Thanks everyone.

John, I meant no offense about the wiki.  For someone like me, who has no experience with printing, it just seemed that if a printer needed a support group, it probably wasn't exactly plug n play.

I've actually been looking at the Canon ipf5100 and purchasing it from one of the discount places in the US. I've checked with Canon Canada, and they say they will honour the warranty.

Still so confused....

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:32 am »

John, I meant no offense about the wiki.  For someone like me, who has no experience with printing, it just seemed that if a printer needed a support group, it probably wasn't exactly plug n play.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
John can correct me on this, but my impression from following the posts on Canon printers is that when the ipf5000 first appeared, it had horrible documentation, and that fact spurred the creation of John's wiki. My impression is that the next printer, the 5100, made enormous improvement in this (and other) areas, and John expanded the scope of the wiki to accomodate users of all Canon printers.

I would consider the existence of the wiki a good thing and a valuable resource.

I would agree with the others that your best choices are between the ipf5100 and the Epson 4880.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John Hollenberg

Please help me choose...
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:50 pm »

John, I meant no offense about the wiki.  For someone like me, who has no experience with printing, it just seemed that if a printer needed a support group, it probably wasn't exactly plug n play.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No offense taken.  Feel free to join the Wiki and ask questions of other owners if it will help with your decision.

--John

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:33 pm »

A fellow photographer in town has the 4000. While she has made many nice prints with it, her clogging problems have been endless (and expensive).

I have a 3800. It is a very nice printer, and I have had no clogging problems, even with intermittent use. However, I am in the middle of trying to print a large portfolio of images from a project, and it's taking forever using sheet paper. I would hate to have to use this as a production printer, not to mention the long-term ink costs of the small carts.

Based on my own Epson experience, I would choose the 4880 in your position. I have no personal experience with the Canon.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

tomm101

Please help me choose...
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 02:43:54 pm »

I have a Canon iPF5000, I have had it for 13 months, no problems other than the roll feed early on, not an issue with the 5100. Canon found that LF printers are more demanding than the office copier folk. They have risen to the occasion. For the service firm they are hiring they are the same, in New England anyway, as Epson uses. When the service tech came to fix my roll paper holder, he had the parts, spent 1/2 hour going over the paper holder, pet my dog and was gone before an hour was up. The printer has worked flawlessly since, well one bad color cart replaced overnight. Don't understand why we get a fire sale in the US and across the border you get US list price +, especially with ehre the US dollar stands.

Good luck

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 06:41:02 pm »

I'm looking to bring all my printing in house this year for a bunch of reasons:

-Save dramatically on album costs (20-25% if I do the prints & assembly). Printer would pay for itself in roughly a year.
-Improved customer service (1hour turnaround for emergency prints vs days with labs)
-Adding value to my packages by stressing that prints are fine art quality vs lab
-learning another aspect of digital photography.

The maximum size I'm looking for is a 17 inch printer, I don't really offer anything larger.

I've been scouring the internet (LL, Outback, photo.net, DWF) and am still cant decide which printer to get. I even attended the local pro shop's 'Meet the Epson Rep' but it didn't help.

As far as I can tell I've got 4 options available to me:

Epson 4000 (used)
Epson 4880
Epson 3800
Canon ipf5100

Epson 4000

Another photographer who I respect and trust has offered to sell me a used Epson 4000 along with the Imageprint RIP.

Pro's

Price-cheaper than everything, even the 3800. Gets me in the door.

Both black inks- Not sure how much switching I'll do, but pissing away $70 worth of ink with the 4800 is going to upset me even if I only do it once.

Imageprint RIP- From what I've been able to find out, this program is worth it even for the new printers.

Con's

No warranty. This is going to be a high volume production printer, so if it breaks I need it fixed ASAP.

Used- already wear and tear on printer, even if only a little.

No K3 inks- This can result in bronzing, gloss differential and B&W that aren't neutral. To a certain extent, all of these problems can be overcome with a combination of the Imageprint RIP, new papers (lustre & bartra) and the fact that I'm not much of a pigment peeper.
Epson 3800
Pro's

Cost- Initial outlay is reasonable

Inks- Has both K3 and both blacks on board, no waste in switching.

User friendly- Almost plug n' play....the biggest printer I've ever used is a R300, so this does matter.

Image quality- supposedly great.

Con's

Small ink tanks- the volume of printing I plan on doing, this will get costly.

No Roll Paper- Same thing, the bulk of my printing is going to be small odd sized prints for matted albums. With roll paper, I can nest these for optimum paper usage.

Build quaility- Seem's to be aimed at the advanced amateur. Not sure how long it will hold up.
Epson 4880

Pro's

-Build quality

-Ink cartridge size- 220ml equals savings

-Current print head and ink technology

-Roll paper support

-Ability to lease

-Warranty
Con's

-Ink swapping. Still not sure how much this affects me, but it's a big concern.

-Obsolescence. At the Epson seminar today, the guy was showing the 11800 model which has dual print heads and both inks. From what I've read, most people consider this a prototype of what the future, smaller Epson's are going to look like. Rumor's of new printers at Photokina are out there.

- Price. The second most expensive.

Canon ipf5100

The dark horse of the bunch.

Pro's

Both inks on board.

Current print technology.

New technology.

Warranty available.

Lease available.
Con's

Price. For some reason this printer cost's almost double ($2300 vs $1400) in Canada what it goes for in the US. This is pissing me off on principle alone. I'm not willing to take my chances with importing a US model.

Support. Terribly lacking. The fact that this printer has it's own Wiki is scary. The onsite repair is apparently a joke compared to Epson's.

Newbie Factor. From what I've read, this printer isn't the most user friendly (lack of profiles, odd menu's)

PS plugin. You get great results using this plugin, but from what I can tell, you can only print one image at a time, no support for nesting.
Conclusion

No idea.

Honestly, I'm flipping from model to model by the hour.

I'd really appreciate any fresh input, also if you disagree with any of my points.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Scott,

If you were at Vistek in Toronto to meet Andrew Patrick - I was there too.

You've done quite a neat inventory of what you'vce read about these models, so your research is about 75% done I would say. The remaining issues are judgmental and economics.

First, from what I've see, all these printers produce very high quality prints. Output differences between printers from the same image on the same kind of paper are a quibble. Speaks well for the technologies and the state of colour management.

What's left is ease of use, machine size, your needs and economy. You didn't say how much you are printing or how muich media switching you may wish to do. There is a trade-off between the price of the printer and the cost of the ink - at least in the Epson line. You'll pay more for a 4880 than a 3800, but the 4880 gives you roll feed and the ability to use 220ml tanks (compared with no roll feed and 80ml tanks for the 3800); hence the 4880 results in a much lower cost per ml of ink - and some say for paper, rolls work out cheaper per print than sheets. However, the 4880 has an ink-swapping penalty which the 3800 largely does not. So IF you think you will be switching between matte and non-matte, the 3800 is economic freedom by comparison. Andrew Patrick did say you can use Photo Black ink on matte paper (not the other way around), but there will be a slight quality hit.

If you buy a used 4000 which comes equipped with ImagePrint you will avoid the metamerism and bronzing issues associated with B&W prints from that printer - this was one of the very key reasons for using a RIP with that particular model. You should check whether the ImagePrint license would be transferable. If I were doing this and I wanted that 4000, I would check out its operating condition and extent of use carefully before buying. It is a cloggy kind of printer. If you were to find it gets clogged to the extent that power cleaning cycles, which use a lot of ink, don't help much, you will need to carry it to Mondrian-Hall at Dufferin and Steeles, where they will charge you roughly 325 dollars to replace the cleaning station (pump, cap and wiper assembly). All told, I would probably shy away from a 4000. It is cloggy in my experience and it is already third generation back in terms of Epson technology.

I wouldn't pay a premium "made-in-Canada" price for a Canon printer - period. But the newer models appear to have dealt with the IPF5000 issues. I have no first hand experience with them.

I'm using an Epson 3800 since the end of last October and I like it - great print quality, reliable, quiet, easy to use, small foot-print, ink switching only uses about 5 ml round-trip, excellent documentation and very good support from Epson. Their Canadian pricing is reasonable. Note that serving a market 10% the size of the US market is going to result in higher unit cost no matter what - the only issue is how much, and with Epson it's not bad.

For the Epson printers, I find them using about .65ml of ink per 54 sq.in. of coverage (i.e. a 6*9 inch image size). This does not include ink usage for cleaning the print heads. It varies from machine to machine and is not measurable in the 3800 - Epson changed the firmware so this data no longer shows for that printer.

In sum, you need to sharpen your pencil on the math and work out the economics of the various options relative to the usage you would make of them - that will point you to the correct choice.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Please help me choose...
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:40:39 am »

Scott, I should have mentioned - the "what's coming next" factor. This is a tough judgment call. At that seminar I asked about the timing of the next generation (incorporating the 11880 technology in smaller size printers) and he replied that it's too early in the 4880 cycle to nail down the timing of new releases in that size range, but not any time soon. We've heard different rumours on this website.

Apart from the timing uncertainty, we just have no idea about what the exact feature set or the pricing will be. That makes it more difficult to judge whether to wait or buy now. My general rule of thumb for dealing with this unrelenting obsolescence factor is to buy what suits me best when I think I really "need" it - i.e. I see clear advantage. There's less invested capital with a 3800 than a 4880, so unless there's a real advantage to the scale economies of roll paper and 220ML ink tanks, the 3800 may be the less risky approach, because the investment cost is lower, therefore would be more amortized by the time it turns "obsolete", whenever that will be.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up