Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market  (Read 5604 times)

I Simonius

April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

Thoughts, review links, expereiences much appreciated, thanks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:45:26 pm by I Simonius »

mfunnell

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:22:05 pm »

I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have no idea whether its "the best" or not, but I get very pleasing results from my Canon Pro 9500.

Biggest upside: no need to change between matte and photo black (a convenience and cost issue).

Biggest downside: can't print borderless on matte fine art paper.  (Well, you can force the issue but that's probably not a good idea.)

Other problem: 3rd-party paper suppliers tend to provide profiles only for Epson printers (however, Ilford is exemplary in this regard and should be an example to others).

Bottom line: high quality output.

...Mike
Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.

Day-to-day photos on [span style='color:quot']flick[/span][span style='color:quot']r[/span], some of my better ones at [span style='color:quot']d[/span][span style='color:quot']A[/span].

Pete Berry

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:25:08 am »

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Best" is what is best for your specific needs. Here's a link to an interactive review of three A3+ printers that should help you with your choice - Canon Pro 9500, HP B9180, and Epson R2400:

[a href=\"http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html]http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html[/url]

Pete

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:57 am »

I have no idea whether its "the best" or not, but I get very pleasing results from my Canon Pro 9500.

Biggest upside: no need to change between matte and photo black (a convenience and cost issue).

Biggest downside: can't print borderless on matte fine art paper.  (Well, you can force the issue but that's probably not a good idea.)

Other problem: 3rd-party paper suppliers tend to provide profiles only for Epson printers (however, Ilford is exemplary in this regard and should be an example to others).

Bottom line: high quality output.

...Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto - another vote for the 9500 here. Outstanding prrinter.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

I Simonius

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:47:30 am »

Ditto - another vote for the 9500 here. Outstanding prrinter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes of course 'best' is very subjective  

Thank you for your input everyone

I waqs ratheer hoping someone might have soe m'inside' info on whether there was an Epson update in the offing
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:15:18 am by I Simonius »

duraace

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:37:58 am »

Yes of course 'best' is very subjective  

Thank you for your input everyone

I waqs ratheer hoping someone might have soe m'inside' info on whether there was an Epson update in the offing
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Epson 3800 is up there with the best and doesn't get delivered on a pallet.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:41:24 am by duraace »

tomm101

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:21:14 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As you said this is a very subjective question, You have the Epson 2400, HP B9180, and the Canon 9500. My answer is none of the above. Other than the B9180 (about $600) the 13 inch printers are just too close in price to the 17 inch printers. Better build, heads, and larger ink reservoirs, just make the 17 inch printers a better deal. Depending on how you look at it being delivered on a pallette can be a good thing.
With both the Epson 3800 and the Canon iPF5100, both do very good b&w, below $1500, it is a good time to buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up