Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle's 310 gsm Photo Rag satin paper Good?  (Read 11344 times)

hassiman

Hahnemuhle's 310 gsm Photo Rag satin paper Good?
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:16 pm »

Hi,

Just wondering how users out there like Hahnemuhle's 310 gsm Photo Rag Satin paper for exhibition color and B&W printing ?

How accurate is Hahnemuhle's icc profile is for this paper using the Epson 3800 printer?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:15:03 pm »

Hi,

Just wondering how users out there like Hahnemuhle's 310 gsm Photo Rag Satin paper for exhibition color and B&W printing ?

How accurate is Hahnemuhle's icc profile is for this paper using the Epson 3800 printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I absolutely love this paper; it's the only cotton rag/matte-ish paper I currently use. Black & white prints display a subtle metallic sheen and slight gloss differential that seems to improve tonal separation in the shadows and 3/4 tones. Color prints also look great, especially blues and greens. Blue skies in particular take on a kind of crystalline appearance. The surface texture is the same as Hahnemuhle's "regular" photo rag, meaning a subtle eggshell surface, with the addition of a subtle sheen. It's not anywhere near as glossy as other "satin" papers, such as HP's pro satin.

That said, I'd add a few qualifications. I'm using an HP Z3100, and this paper really shines using the vivera inkset and quad-black capability. I've only used the profile I made with the built-in spectro. I was not very impressed with the quality of Hahnemuhle's profiles for my Epson 7600, so you'll probably want to make or obtain your own custom profile. The paper base is slightly warm; it looks very warm when held against one of the really bright white papers like Harman gloss FB AL. Like any rag paper, d-max and color gamut can't really compare to those on a luster/gloss paper. Images that depend on really deep black and/or neon colors for their impact won't be at their best on this paper.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:45:26 pm »

I also us this on a Z3100.  I love it for black and white, but think that it is an image specific paper for color work.  Saturated color looks great, and high key images work really well.  I printed a series of illustrations that were bright pastels on a very light background, and the effect of a satin, iridescent color on a matte background makes it quite unique and striking.  That said, I tried some sepia toned images on this stock, and more normal, less saturated color images that just looked weird with the intentional gloss differential this paper is designed to produce.  This is not a paper that you will be able to understand or appreciate from reading someone's description of it.  It is a unique beast.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:21:53 pm »

I have only been printing wide format photos less than 2 months on my HP Z3100. That said, Hanemuhle 310 Photo Rag Satin is my favorite paper. - (so far - only color work). I have tried samples of more than a dozen papers including the 'regular' surfaced Hanemuhle Photo Rag Bright White  - as well as a variety of glossy and semi- glossy papers, including the newer Bartya papers.

Why is the Hanemuhle Photo Rag Satin my favorite paper? ...  I really like that special surface sheen. That is the sole reason. (Unfortunately, once mounted under glass that surface sheen my not be quite so evident, however.)

On the down side, it is expensive (I buy the 24" rolls) and I probably have to pump up the saturation in Photoshop more than I would with some other papers I have tried - such as the glossy ones.

I make the custom profiles for the paper using the Z3100 internal profiling system. (Paper type Thick Fine Art >250.)

Howard

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »

This is an interesting paper.  It uses MK black and so the demax as not as good as some of the newer papers which use the PK black   It also has an interesting characteristic of changing the surface to a semi gloss "satin" finish where there is ink and leaving mat the areas not covered in ink.   I use this paper when I want this effect.

I perfer the Photo rag pearl.  It provides better color gamut and higher dmax.

In this same family my favorite is Crane Silver Rag.

All good papers.   John

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:19:36 pm »

Question....

I am using Hahnemuhle 310gsm fine art papers on the Canon ipf5000 using the Hahnemuhle profile. However the images are printing way too dark. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

hassiman

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »

Contact Christina at Hana...  she will fix you up!
christina@hahnemuhleusa.com  

Question....

I am using Hahnemuhle 310gsm fine art papers on the Canon ipf5000 using the Hahnemuhle profile. However the images are printing way too dark. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:13:40 pm »

Contact Christina at Hana...  she will fix you up!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wonderful! Thank You!

ILS
Ian L. Sitren

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:28 am »

Contact Christina at Hana...  she will fix you up!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well you were right about that! I sent Christina an e-mail and a little while later got an answer back that solved my problem.

So a big plus for customer service for at Hahnemuhle!!
Ian L. Sitren

ScreamLordByron

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:09 pm »

I've been very happy using the PR Satin with my Epson 2200. I've found the canned profile to be OK, but I get better results with a bit of mid-level curves bump.

Unlike hilljf, I use PK rather than MK. I use the PR Satin mostly for color work, but have hotten some nice balck and white, particularly when emulating certain toning effects, such as a warm lith look or a purple-bronze quadtone I'm fond of (looks better than it sounds).

For my taste, PR Satin doesn't work for every print, but for the right print its effect is quite lovely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up