Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Silkypix Software  (Read 2167 times)

mnoble

Advice on Silkypix Software
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:42:29 pm »

I'd like to know what your experience has been with the Silkypix software as a RAW converter. I see that some of you do use this product.

My questions would be as follows:

How does this compare with ACR?

How good are the noise reduction capabilities of Silkypix. (This is important to me.)

Do you use this in conjunction with Photoshop?

Any insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »

I'd like to know what your experience has been with the Silkypix software as a RAW converter. I see that some of you do use this product.

My questions would be as follows:

How does this compare with ACR?

How good are the noise reduction capabilities of Silkypix. (This is important to me.)

Do you use this in conjunction with Photoshop?

Any insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi

I can very much recommend SilkyPix. It gets you to results far and easy. Same time it is important to read its user manual and to re-read it after some time use. Many things in it takes some time to digest, yet controls in SilkyPix are easy and simple.

One thing that SilkyPix has that ACR does not are the "film type" presets. This helps you adjust. It also have a magenta slider for shadows under the white balance that helps you boost the look of shadows for slight more pop.

Above said I find that I am now learning CS3 in great detail and am propably stepping over to it, but this has to do with that I also have upgraded to digital back and that I further wish to advance in tools for adjustments. However this is not saying SilkyPix is in any way a basic program. I used SilkyPix for about two years. When I settled for it I tried out Bibbles (on license), CaptureOne and several others and SilkyPix beat them hands down to me. I can warmly recommend SilkyPix. If we speak of cost for licensed version, it is a no brainer: buy SilkyPix, CS3 costs way too much.

Regards
Anders

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:49:05 am »

I use it because I can do D3 and Sinar DNGs

I found CS2 horrible with the Sinar (which you probably dont have)

I like the colours and control

I havent found a way to 'export to HTML contact sheet' which is a big ommission to my workflow

(you can export low res jpgs)

Noisewise I am not convinced that with the D3 that nikons own software doesnt do better

It can chunk out the 128mb sinar files three times faster than the last version of Capture One I tried

Meaning SP was usable and CS not

Generally great - love the interface and speed and default colours

shame about the contact sheets

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up