Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Tints on images produced by Hasselblad CFV  (Read 3026 times)

jillsw

Yellow Tints on images produced by Hasselblad CFV
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:43:11 am »

Has anyone else had trouble with Hasselblad CFV backs producing very yellow images.  Even the fully digital H3D has a definite yellow bias.  I cannot believe I am the only one to notice this.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50:45 am »

Has anyone else had trouble with Hasselblad CFV backs producing very yellow images.  Even the fully digital H3D has a definite yellow bias.  I cannot believe I am the only one to notice this.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no issue of "yellow bias" with either of these products. If you have a yellow bias in your images, that is an issue specific to the unit in your possession.

There's many questions that could be asked to determine where the issue originates from.

- do you see it on all images?
 - what white balance are you using?
 - are you grey balancing in-camera?
 - are you grey balancing in Flexcolor?
 - do you see it on the LCD?
 - do you see it in the software?
 - what version of Flexcolor are you using?
 - do you see it with more than one lens?

Any other information would be helpful.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:57 pm »

There is no issue of "yellow bias" with either of these products. If you have a yellow bias in your images, that is an issue specific to the unit in your possession.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's right Steve. It's a red bias not a yellow one and it certainly occurred on the early H3Ds. Mine still has it, but you don't want to go there.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

jillsw

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:17:30 am »

There's many questions that could be asked to determine where the issue originates from.

- do you see it on all images?
 - what white balance are you using?
 - are you grey balancing in-camera?
 - are you grey balancing in Flexcolor?
 - do you see it on the LCD?
 - do you see it in the software?
 - what version of Flexcolor are you using?
 - do you see it with more than one lens?

Any other information would be helpful.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you.  In fact there is a major issue here and all those questions have been asked and answered with no satisfactory conclusions.  We do see it on all images; there is no automatic white balance - the temperature is usually around 4650; we've tried grey balancing in the camera and in Flexcolor; it is not obvious either in the software or on the LCD, but is most obvious in prints - whichever printer is used (these have all been thoroughly checked and tested with other backs, lenses, cameras; the very latest version of Flexcolor is used; it is seen in every lenses used.  Hasselblad are at present investigating the matter, but have come up with no solution as yet.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:10:31 am »

Have you profiled your monitor and printer? If so have you tried viewing and printing known good images from other sources to verify you do not have a bad profile or color management setting somewhere? Can you post a sample image so the rest of us can see what you're talking about? That will be very helpful for anyone trying to assist you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:12:41 am by Jonathan Wienke »

jillsw

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »

Have you profiled your monitor and printer? If so have you tried viewing and printing known good images from other sources to verify you do not have a bad profile or color management setting somewhere? Can you post a sample image so the rest of us can see what you're talking about? That will be very helpful for anyone trying to assist you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you.  Yes, yes and yes.  Thank you too for your offer of assistance.  I have actually returned my back to Hasselblad.  They have refunded me in full and been extremely helpful throughout our 18-month struggle with this issue.  As I said, there is a problem, which they are presently investigating.  I have been a Hasselblad user for the past 15 years and it was with reluctance that I've had to go elsewhere, but it was affecting my business - I'm a freelance travel photographer.  I have changed to a Phase One P45 back and am extremely satisfied with it. Thank you again.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »

I own no MFDB but most CFV samples I've seen on the web have a yellow bias to my eyes.
Actually, I think some good photographers take advantage of this for sunset lit landscapes and portraits. They look "golden". For the rest of images it bothers me a bit.

(Profiled Dell Ultrasharp on Safari)

Eduardo
Pages: [1]   Go Up