Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1D MK II Autofocus problem  (Read 12269 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Canon 1D MK II Autofocus problem
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:40:05 pm »

It's by far the exception rather than the rule, and only happens in low light conditions where most other cameras couldn't even get close.
Manuel,

If accuracy and reliability of focus in very low light situation is important for you, you migth want to consider the Nikon D2 series.

They appear to be best in class here.

Regards,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 06:26:46 am »

I've been using a 1D Mk2 for over one year now and frankly I can say that auto-focus issues are limited to low light conditions. In fact, for me it's a non-issue. Using fast lenses helps a lot in similar conditions...
Alongside my Canon, I've been shooting for 4 months with a Nikon D2H (with equivalent lenses to my Canon's L) and I've not seen a big difference in AF performance.

Visit your camera store and try to compare your current camera with a 1D Mk 2, this is the only way to see if AF suits your needs.

Francois
Francois

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 05:55:01 pm »

And while I think it's fair to say Bernard is a Nikon enthusiast, "bigot" is a bit more than the facts support.
There you go! :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

Manolo

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:21:40 am »

I've read from more than a review that the Canon 1D MK II experiences some focus problem. In same case I read that even when the autofocus had plenty of time to lock on it didn't properly lock on. It was close but not perfect, and taking the finger off the shutter speed briefly and back on again seemed to wake up the autofocus and it snaped straight on!!! Did anyone experience the same problem ??? Is it a one off problem or something which happens regularly....so it could become quite annoying !!!

Cheers
Manuel

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 07:23:20 pm »

Is it a one off problem or something which happens regularly....so it could become quite annoying !!!

Cheers
Manuel
It's by far the exception rather than the rule, and only happens in low light conditions where most other cameras couldn't even get close.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 12:21:12 am »

If there is a Bernard posting, we already know it will be anti Canon. Perhaps if you have nothing really useful to say you can hold on to your comments. Like this guy is going to dump his Canon gear every time one other camera has an edge in one area for one point in time. This Nikon vs Canon war may have been interesting at first but it is getting a bit old. Any one with a top Nikon or Canon arsenal will be a happy camper and no one gets consistently great shots while switching systems back and forth. And hey, if the Nikon was so great, why do all the sports events have 15 white tele lenses for every black one?
Dr D White DDS BSc

Manolo

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 04:13:47 am »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments!!!

I actually own already a canon...I’ve at the moment a 10D.....and I'm experiencing focus problem both in low light and in normal light condition!!!!

and because I normally shoot in low light for me the accuracy of the focus is vital for me !!!!

so it seems that the 1D MKII has got this problem !!!! really annoying for such a good camera !!!!!

consider the Nikon D2 series…could be a good idea but all the rest of the gear that I’ve got is canon…..and would be too expansive change everything even if  I could consider to do it if I don’t find any other solution !!!!

ciao
Manuel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 06:48:56 am »

I actually own already a canon...I’ve at the moment a 10D.....and I'm experiencing focus problem both in low light and in normal light condition!!!!
Hi Manolo,

Then it would perhaps indeed be expensive to switch to Nikon.

I guess that it all depends on how important this issue is for you.

Either way, I would not invest such a big chunck of money before trying out all the options in your actual shooting conditions (through rental for instance).

Regards,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 07:04:32 am »

...Visit your camera store and try to compare your current camera with a 1D Mk 2, this is the only way to see if AF suits your needs...
I meant Canon 1D Mk 2 or a Nikon D2Hs, D2X or whatever camera you have your eyes on!

Francois
Francois

Paul Sumi

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 05:05:55 pm »

Visit your camera store and try to compare your current camera with a 1D Mk 2, this is the only way to see if AF suits your needs.
I have to echo Francois' recommendation.  See if you can borrow or rent a 1D2 to see how it works for you, under the conditions you normally work.  Then you'll know for sure.

Ray

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 11:36:02 pm »

One should bear in mind that apparent autofocus problems can sometimes be the fault of the lens. Why assume it's always the fault of the camera body  ???

Paul Sumi

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 12:05:47 pm »

I've used a 1D2 for everything from landscape to sports and have not experienced significant focusing issues.  The only time it has been slow to focus is in low light with flash (although there are work-arounds).

In tricky situations I do select the focusing point rather than let the camera choose.

Naturally, YMMV and others may have different experiences.

Best,

Paul

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 03:41:07 am »

Hi there,

A very interesting post of yours... :-)

- Manuel doesn't say whether he owns a Canon or not. If anything, him referering to reviews about the 1DMKII makes me think that he doesn't own one. I would not have posted the comment above had he started his message by "my Canon 1DMKII has focussing issues". I am deeply sorry for the misunderstanding if he does own one,
- I don't see how mentioning that the Nikon D2 series is best in class in low light auto-focussing is anti-Canon. This is pure fact,
- I don't remember posting anti-Canon comments here or elsewhere. Only those crazy Canon fanatics would consider a post giving positive comments about Nikon as being anti-Canon. I hope that you are not one of those,
- I couldn't care less about Nikon/Canon wars. Canon makes great cameras and tons of amazing pics are taken with them as we speak.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 10:24:18 am »

I've got over 50,000 frames on my 1D-MkII, most shot in low-light conditions at concerts and weddings and such, and there really is no comparison between the performance of the 1D-MkII and the 10D. THe 1D-MkII is far better.

And while I think it's fair to say Bernard is a Nikon enthusiast, "bigot" is a bit more than the facts support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up