Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Between San Francisco and Gold Beach, OR  (Read 15989 times)

trops

• http://www.giatropoulos.com
Between San Francisco and Gold Beach, OR
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 11:31:10 pm »

Check out www.photographamerica.com

Regards,

John

Plekto

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »

Day 3:

While Point Reyes is nice and all, I think better pictures can be had along the coast between there and Fort Ross - specifically the area around Dillon beach and Bodega.

I'd start out in Santa Rosa, head out towards the Russian River area out to Bodega.  Go down the coast to Dillon Beach.  Then back to Grayton and then Sebastopol.  Then down  towards Cotati and the 101.  2-3 hours and tons of amazing scenery.

Sonoma County is full of amazing areas once you get off of 101 and drive even a few miles.

Oh, and ditch Oregon and anything farther north than Ukiah.  Shasta is nice to view for about 30 minutes as well, but it's a long drive up there.    I'd stick to Sonoma County and San Fransisco and maybe reverse the itinerary:

Day 1: Head south along route 1 towards Santa Cruz and Monterey area.  Stop by Carmel as well and eat lunch there.  Drive from there down route 1 towards San Luis Obispo(don't take 101).

*the Monterey Bay Aquarium is of note - you might want to adjust your schedule to visit it*

Day 2: Head up to San Fransisco(~3 hours) and bypass it.  Head up to Napa valley and do wine tasting and shopping.  Drive over to Santa Rosa to stay the night.

Day3: To the beach trip and head into San Fransisco in the evening.  Or find a place to stay somewhere quaint like Cotati.  Btw - the best Mexican food in the N. Cal. area is in Cotati (one street, town) and is called Rafa's.  Well worth the stop.   There's a place that buys and sells classic cars in Petaluma as well - and it's also a great old city to hang around in for dinner.  Sonoma State University is also there if you're into that.  Small and probably the most picturesque university in the Cal State system.

( I used to live in Sonoma County as you might have guessed - heh)

Day 4: More San Fransisco and the surrounding areas.  Alcatraz takes a good 4-5 hours with waiting and the boat ride if you want to go.  Make sure to hit the Exploritorium.  A one of a kind hands-on science and technology museum.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:05:07 pm by Plekto »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »

Here are a couple of wineries to possibly hit if you go to Napa:

1- Regussi

2- Venge (you'll need a reservation)

3- Hope & Grace (great Pinot)

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

DonWeston

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 01:08:02 pm »

also try Peju Province winery, was there about a week ago and had a good experience, good deal with tasting fee being credited back with a purchase also. also a great place for  images, very picturesque buildings and grounds...

would second the notion of trying NOT to see and travel too much in area of California or anywhere, lots to do and see within 50 miles of SF

Plekto

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:08 pm »

also try Peju Province winery, was there about a week ago and had a good experience, good deal with tasting fee being credited back with a purchase also. also a great place for  images, very picturesque buildings and grounds...

would second the notion of trying NOT to see and travel too much in area of California or anywhere, lots to do and see within 50 miles of SF
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186797\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ran a few things through mapquest and skip the trip down the coast from Carmel/Monterey.  Call it a day there and head back up.  That gives you the ability to leave at 6am and get to Napa by 9-10am and have plenty of time to take things slow(I had to figure you'd stop and take pictures, so San Luis Obispo is out).

So the quick run through:
1  - down route 1 towards Santa Cruz and Carmel.  Enjoy the food, the sights, and so on.  Leave at 5-6am.(early)  You want to reach Santa Cruz at about 9-10am.
2 - back up 2-3 hours on 101 and blow by the area and go to Napa.  Yes, traffic will suck, but it's easily manageable to get to Napa before noon if you start early.  Route 1 looks quicker, but it's not as there's no quick way to get from the 101 to Napa if you cross the Golden Gate Bridge and fighting downtown San Fransisco in the morning is insanity.  Just head up towards San Jose and go towards Berkeley, then up towards Napa.   Leave at 6am as well.  You should hit heavy traffic at about 7am and be through it and in Napa by 8-9.  Leaving at 8am means you get there at noon.
3 - Sonoma and Marin county.  
4 - Downtown San Fransisco.  Car optional on this one.

Don is right - within about 50-100 miles of San Fransisco, there's probably the best scenery in all of California in terms of easy access and speed of movement from place to place.  You'll easily fill up your memory cards or have to buy more film

resumner

• http://www.reneesumner.com
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:16 pm »

Wow, is all I can say.  You guys are a fantastic resource!  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm seeing between Monterey/Carmel and Bodega Bay.  Thanks so much for your input!

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 11:08:11 am »

Definitely find yourself a good redwood forest somewhere, though.  The best in or near the Bay Area that I know of are Muir Woods (north of the Golden Gate) and Big Basin (Santa Cruz mountains).

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up