Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Umbagog Region - New Hampshire  (Read 4483 times)

Mary K

Lake Umbagog Region - New Hampshire
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:35:09 pm »

I have an opportunity do some photography in and around Lake Umbagog NWR in New Hampshire from mid-May to the end of June.  I would appreciate any information about photo opportunities in that area, and up to a radius of 50-75 miles surrounding Lake Umbagog.  My primary interests include all nature and wildlife, especially birds, wildflowers, and perhaps some landscapes.  Loons are high on my list.  I wll be staying near Errol, NH.

I would also be interested in knowing how serious the black fly and mosquito situation will be.  Information about protecting my self from black flies would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Mary
Mary Konchar

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:27:56 pm »

I would also be interested in knowing how serious the black fly and mosquito situation will be.  Information about protecting my self from black flies would also be appreciated.

Well...

I don't have any information on the local area, but I can tell you this.  Black flies lay their eggs in fast flowing streams.  That doesn't mean you will only find them around fast-flowing streams, but they do tend to be more pronounced there.  They're pretty tiny, so keep your socks over your pants to keep them from coming up your pant legs and wear tight fitting sleeves at your wrists.  Some people use bug headnets, but that creates its own problems, both with photography and sometimes with whiplash if you're walking through dense bush!  In general bugs are attracted more to dark clothing, so wear something light if you can.  Wear a hat, but remember that bugs are often attracted to the back of the ears.  Try to avoid working yourself up into a sweat, which depends somewhat on the weather and also on your attitude.  There are any number of bug sprays and liquids on the market - most of the commercial ones will eat paint and plastic, so wash your hands before picking up your camera.  There's also Avon's 'Skin So Soft' which some people claim works.  You can also increase your vitamin B6 and B12 content as this will make you taste bad.

Bottom line though, the best thing is simply to get used to them.  If you're around them constantly for a week or so, you begin to ignore them.  BTW, mosquitoes have a long proboscis (like a hypodermic needle)that they inject into you, but tabanids (black flies, deer flies, horse flies), actually have two biting mouth parts called palps.  Try this.  Curl your index and middle fingers toward your palm, and then open and close the space between your fingers around the middle joint.  Imagine those are rasping mouth parts and your skin is in between...  Both mosquitoes and tabanids will use an anti-coagulant to keep the blood flowing; generally that's what causes the itch.

Mike.
(who used to do environmental impact assessment around fast flowing streams)

P.S.  If you have one, bring a remote release and a tripod.  If you get into a bad bug situation you may have to move away from your camera in order to get the cloud of bugs to move with you!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:29:11 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Mary K

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:21:10 pm »

Well, those black flies sound just delightful  

Thanks for a very helpful response to my concerns.  I do a lot of volunteer work  for Blackwater NWR here in my neighborhood, so I have a bug shirt with hood, and I have also used several different types of bug repellent over the years.  The only one that seems to work for me is DEET, but, like you said, this stuff is hard on photo gear (and it will take your nail polish right off!).  I have a couple of cable releases, and do all of my photography with a tripod, but it is not encouraging to hear that the bugs might be so thick that I need to move away from the camera to make a photo.

My understanding is that the lake is largely surrounded by bogs and marsh, so the black fly problem might not be quite as bad as you had to deal with around running water -- I hope.

Thanks again,
Mary
Mary Konchar

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:22:50 am »

Oh, why didn't you say so?  Mosquitoes use small areas of standing water to lay their eggs...

Seriously, you'll be fine.  I don't know what the bugs will be like where you're going, but if it seems really bad, consider this.  A number of years ago a group of Canadian Wildlife Service biologists up on the tundra in the high arctic bared their arms and legs while someone ran around and counted.  The final tally was up to 9000 bites per minute.  Enough to cause total exsanguination (blood loss) in about four hours.

Wherever you are it will be easy!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Mary K

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their response.  I've decided to go for it, bugs and all!

Mary
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1]   Go Up