Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D300 MLU-time release  (Read 7822 times)

Mike W

Nikon D300 MLU-time release
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:52 am »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any photographers out there who found a way to combine mirror lock-up and time release on the D300. It seems to be locked out because both the time release and mlu are on the same wheel.
Maybe via custom settings or something?

The reason I'm asking is I have access to a d300 (via school) but no cable release, and I don't plan on spending 80€ on it.

thanks,

Mike

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:03 am »

The reason I'm asking is I have access to a d300 (via school) but no cable release, and I don't plan on spending 80€ on it.

thanks,

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are aftermarket cable releases available in the Internet for far less than 80 Euros.  
Google "Phottix" for a wireless one for $30 or so.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:22:51 am »

My D200 is the same in that regard, and I also find it a source of minor annoyance.  I found a work-around that's OK if you're not in a big hurry:  If you put it in mirror-lockup mode, hit the shutter button once to activate mirror lockup and then wait, it will automatically trip the shutter after 30 seconds.  (At least that's the way it works on the D200, and I would be surprised if the D300 were any different in that regard.)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

duraace

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:55:24 am »

My D200 is the same in that regard, and I also find it a source of minor annoyance.  I found a work-around that's OK if you're not in a big hurry:  If you put it in mirror-lockup mode, hit the shutter button once to activate mirror lockup and then wait, it will automatically trip the shutter after 30 seconds.  (At least that's the way it works on the D200, and I would be surprised if the D300 were any different in that regard.)

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got a D300 and I didn't know that.  Thanks.  I'm going out today to buy a remote cord, because it's just too inconvenient not to have one.  I need to take some double exposure street shots and I *think* I need mirror lockup to minimize shake.  I've never used mirror lockup before, and I'm assuming that that's the only reason for using it.  Is that correct?

Mike W

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:10:45 pm »

I've got a D300 and I didn't know that.  Thanks.  I'm going out today to buy a remote cord, because it's just too inconvenient not to have one.  I need to take some double exposure street shots and I *think* I need mirror lockup to minimize shake.  I've never used mirror lockup before, and I'm assuming that that's the only reason for using it.  Is that correct?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MLU does reduce "mirror-shake". The slapping mirror makes the camera shake a bit. I have found no other uses for mlu, apart from cleaning the sensor.

Nniko, thanks for the help, I'll test it on the D300...see if it's the same. Waiting thirty seconds in no problem since I just need Mirror lock up this once while testing some lenses for a comparison.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:54 pm »

I originally got an expensive remote cord for my D200, but returned it because I found it too slow and annoying to use in non-studio conditions, that is when you're walking around outdoors and repeatedly setting up and packing away.  Getting the thing screwed in (and not losing the cap over the camera connector) was a pain; slower than setting up the tripod!  I was spoiled by the cheap little cordless IR remote I used to use with my D70, which didn't require any setup at all, and was very disappointed that it wouldn't work with the D200.

And in answer to why one uses mirror lockup:  The mirror's moving can introduce vibrations that affect the sharpness of the image over *some* shutter speeds.  I don't recall the exact values people tend to quote for where it matters, but it was somewhere around the 1/10 sec to 2 sec range (maybe someone who knows more accurately can chime in here???).  Mirror lockup gets the vibrations out of the way before the shutter trips.  Slower speeds and faster speeds than that range are not a problem.

Lisa
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:19:47 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

duraace

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:16:42 am »

I originally got an expensive remote cord for my D200, but returned it because I found it too slow and annoying to use in non-studio conditions, that is when you're walking around outdoors and repeatedly setting up and packing away.  Getting the thing screwed in (and not losing the cap over the camera connector) was a pain; slower than setting up the tripod!  I was spoiled by the cheap little cordless IR remote I used to use with my D70, which didn't require any setup at all, and was very disappointed that it wouldn't work with the D200.

And in answer to why one uses mirror lockup:  The mirror's moving can introduce vibrations that affect the sharpness of the image over *some* shutter speeds.  I don't recall the exact values people tend to quote for where it matters, but it was somewhere around the 1/10 sec to 2 sec range (maybe someone who knows more accurately can chime in here???).  Mirror lockup gets the vibrations out of the way before the shutter trips.  Slower speeds and faster speeds than that range are not a problem.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got some double exposure shots I need to take, some at fast shutter and some at slow shutter to induce some motion blur.  I suspect MLU might be a good thing to do, if for nothing else but to insure highest quality.  There'll be a static image behind the motion that needs perfect sharpness.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:07:22 am »

Ah from the mind of Minolta!

I have MLU as standard on even some film bodies, just select the 2 sec timer and its there. No menus..just happens. Pentax also have this.

I have never worked out why Canon and Nikon cannot do the same, crushingly easy really. Olympus also require you to menu dive..for some reason.

The only minor grumble is that some complain that you cannot define the MLU time..aka how long it goes up before the shutter is fired...but I never found that a problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up