Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atlanta Tornado  (Read 4043 times)

daethon

Atlanta Tornado
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:13:47 am »

I'm always trying to improve, and would love to get y'alls opinion on how I can make this better.  

Thanks in advance for your input...

This is a shot of one of the worst hit buildings by a tornado last friday.

popnfresh

Atlanta Tornado
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:01 pm »

It would benefit from a different point of view. There's too much extraneous stuff on the left half of the picture that does nothing for the overall composition. The image might be fine as a newspaper image to go along with a story about the tornado, but as an artistic urban landscape the composition is weak.

For me, the man in the foreground is also distracting and in bad lighting. What I find more interesting are the people in the background who appear to be photographing the building. I would prefer if you had gone in tighter on the building and maybe have one or two of those gawkers in the foreground instead. It would have made for a more interesting composition with a little social commentary thrown in for good measure.

daethon

Atlanta Tornado
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »

It would benefit from a different point of view. There's too much extraneous stuff on the left half of the picture that does nothing for the overall composition. The image might be fine as a newspaper image to go along with a story about the tornado, but as an artistic urban landscape the composition is weak.

For me, the man in the foreground is also distracting and in bad lighting. What I find more interesting are the people in the background who appear to be photographing the building. I would prefer if you had gone in tighter on the building and maybe have one or two of those gawkers in the foreground instead. It would have made for a more interesting composition with a little social commentary thrown in for good measure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the comments.  I had included the tree on the left as it had been knocked over by the storm, but found it incredibly difficult to keep its context with the building behind it.  I focused on the man in the foreground because he had walked by all this destruction, and didn't pause for a moment.  I appreciate the feedback.  

What do you think about these two?  

Thanks again

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Atlanta Tornado
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:10:07 am »

I'm struggling to find something to focus on.  My eyes are all over the place searching for something... anything.  The last photo my eyes do focus on something, unfortunately it's the piece of plastic on the hood of the car.  

Maybe making the composition simpler would help, less elements in the photos.

daethon

Atlanta Tornado
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:32:52 am »

I'm struggling to find something to focus on.  My eyes are all over the place searching for something... anything.  The last photo my eyes do focus on something, unfortunately it's the piece of plastic on the hood of the car. 

Maybe making the composition simpler would help, less elements in the photos.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So, basically, keep it simple.  Instead of trying to pull in as many subjects as possible to show the extent of the damage pick one actor or object to be the focus of the image.  

Something more like:  

Pages: [1]   Go Up