Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I must be really dumb  (Read 4421 times)

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:19:42 am »

I must be really dumb.

I can get my photos to CS3 for editing

I can edit them in CS3

I can see the saved file as ****-Edit.psd in lightroom but I'll be damned if the edits show up.

I also played around with the settings and now have a picture with a box that says 'The file uses an unsupported color mode'

HELP!

santa

I must be really dumb
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:28:15 am »

So...you can, from within LR, have LR open a file in Photoshop. And you can edit them in Photoshop. Then, after saving a   ******-Edit.psd, you can see the file in Lightroom but any changes that you made in Photoshop are not visible.

I'll be watching for a definitive answer here because I could find no Preference or Catalog Setting that would seemingly be involved. I thought perhaps the Compatabilty setting in Photoshop had to be set but testing that showed that to be of no consequence. Nothing I could find prevented LR from showing my recent Photoshop changes to a file once the file has been saved. I'm assuming you are saving the file and still not seeing the image updated properly in LR.
     I'd be tempted to rebuild the catalog and/or reinstall LR, but hopefully somebody  will comment with something less drastic like a setting of some kind.

I must be really dumb.

I can get my photos to CS3 for editing

I can edit them in CS3

I can see the saved file as ****-Edit.psd in lightroom but I'll be damned if the edits show up.

I also played around with the settings and now have a picture with a box that says 'The file uses an unsupported color mode'

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
I must be really dumb
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:36:59 am »

... I can see the saved file as ****-Edit.psd in lightroom but I'll be damned if the edits show up...
Not sure, but since nobody else has volunteered to help yet, let me try: I think you have to first save the file in Photoshop before it shows in LR's  as -Edit file. Again, if I am not mistaken, LR creates the -Edit file the moment you transfer it to Photoshop, and if you close the file without saving it first, the -Edit file will stay in LR as an identical copy of the original file.

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:35 pm »

Thanks Santa & Slobodan56

I did downgrade to 1.4 but have just upgraded to 1.3.1 - who knows, maybe it was another glitch?

Just to clarify though,  when I click close in PS after making the changes it brings up a dialogue box as you would get to save a document and choose its location.  This is to save the changes to the photo file.  When I scroll through the existing files the ****-EDIT.tif is already showing but my doc is a ****-EDIT.psd.  I click yes (I assume this is correct to save the changes)

Do  save the file where PS points to in my LR catalogue?  Is this where my problems lie?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:09:27 pm by JRKO »

Ian Lyons

I must be really dumb
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:35:54 pm »

If you end up with -Edit.TIFF and -Edit.PSD files you almost certainly used the wrong command in Photoshop. You need to use the Photoshop SAVE command, not Save As. Using the correct command will save the edits back to the original -Edit.PSD file.

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:36:18 pm »

Ok, Here is what I am doing - exactly

I select my photo in LR and from the photo menu I select Edit in PS.

I then get a dialogue box and select Edit a copy with LR adj. (this is the only option not greyed out)  

I choose file format TIFF (as PSD brings up 'The file uses an unsupported color mode' when back in LR)  I am using either AdobeRgb 98 or ProPhoto and 8bit depth with no compression and choose not to stack the photo with original.

Within PS I go Image, mode, greyscale and then discard color info.

Then Image, mode, duotone and select a quadtone.

From here I may sharpen (unsharp mask) the image a bit or lighten it up using Image, adj levels.

Then I want to save it back to use in LR.

What SHOULD I be doing next?

EDIT - OK I just did it without the quadtone and it worked fine!  What gives?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:40:55 pm by JRKO »

Richowens

I must be really dumb
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:48:02 pm »

JRKO,

Perhaps I can help by telling you my workflow.

After I apply develop settings to a raw file, I use control-E to bring up the export dialogue. Export a copy to PS as a Tiff, Prophoto, 16 bit, and stack with origonal. LR creates a new file in the same folder as the origonal with the same name but as a Tiff, then opens tis file in PS.

When I am done with the file in PS I SAVE the changes {control-S} . This writes the changes back to the file, which remains a Tiff. It will even include any layers.

If you wish to use the file for another purpose or to save it in another file format you can then do a Save As, but always do a Save first.

When I go back into LR, there is is my -edit.tif with the PS changes applied.

This is with LR 1.4, no changes from any of the earlier versions.

If I may respectfully suggest, don't use the PSD format. Keep everything in Tiff, Prophoto, 16 bit. I think the problem arrises by changing horses in midstream, so to speak. Keep it simple by sticking to one file format instead of doing a mix and match thing. Jeff Shewe has explained in other threads on this forum why Tiff is preferable over PSD.

HTH

Rich

Edit- LR does not support the Quadtone mode. After you apply your Quadtone, change the mode back to RGB.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:53:24 pm by Richowens »

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:58:19 pm »

Thanks Rich,

For some reason I can't get the duotones when working in 16bit.  I have to make the file 8bit.

And here is another weird thing - once i have changed used the quadtoning even if i use save or save as I still get the save as dialogue box appear - aww hell this is getting annoying.

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:00:18 pm »

just saw your edit Rich!  At least that explains things - although its pretty dumb (yes i'm sure there is some wonderful technical reason but for goodness sake thats awful!!!)

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »

Now that that is sorted is there any reason why I can't use duotones in 16bit?

Richowens

I must be really dumb
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:30 pm »

Yes, this can all be quite frustrating at times.

Let me run something through your workflow and see if I can come up with any suggestions. Back in a bit.

Rich

JRKO

I must be really dumb
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 02:34:10 pm »

And another one I'm afraid.  Why do some images allow me to export a copy and others only allow me to edit with LR changes (even though i have not made any)?

Richowens

I must be really dumb
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 02:46:48 pm »

JRKO,

I Just tried your workflow. Quadtone is indeed 8 bit only, so you're not going looney and seeing things.
 I think the reasoning behind this is that you are using just four colors, not the thousand or millions available in a RGB mode, so the engineers saw no need to make it 16 bit. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can enlighten us.
 As to the why LR does not support Quadtones, LR was conceived and designed as a photographer's tool. Since Quadtone is more of a graphic and press tool, they didn't see it as needed in LR. I think the LR engineers were and still are trying to keep LR as lean as possible and fill the wants and needs of a many people as it can.

HTH

Rich

Richowens

I must be really dumb
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:33 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong, the edit a copy with LR changes are the origonal and those that allow just a copy are *-edit.*** files.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up