Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds III PRAISE!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 21599 times)

danazoo

1Ds III PRAISE!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »

I Disagree Totally!!! I have had my 1ds Mark III for thre months. What started out okay went bad fast. And Canon's response to my problem has been lame, lame.

Firstly, I got one of the lovely new gems with the tilted image problem. While that was correcetd, my camera started producing noisy images. Very noisy. That means, even at the lowest ISO and fast shutter speeds I am getting images with 1000's of white specs.

I sent my camera to CPS and was told I "am no lonre a member" because my menbership expired. As ut  stands, you now have to seek to renew your own membership, yearly, or it is simplu cancelled.

My camera was returned to me with the same major noise problem. The issue was not fixed.

I understand that soem of the Mark III sensors are going bad. I am one of the chosen ones.

Currently, I am awaiting a rseolution to Canon. I can not use this camera for actual assignments.

Thus my experience, is bad, bad, bad thus far.

I've had my 1Ds3 since December and I will simply heap praise onto it! It's just great. It's fast (enough for what I do with it), accurate, snaps to attention and exposes well. More keepers than any other camera I've used - whether that's the camera or learning how to use it I'm not sure and simply don't care as it works for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184006\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 09:37:11 am »

Lucky you  - I am about to do a trip around Queenstown and Otago and was hoping to have it for then. My regular dealer has a D3 on the shelf at last so with any luck the 1ds3 is not far behind. I have seen a couple around  - including one at a local rental place. Nice to hear others at least are getting theirs.
 I can believe that about the lenses - they are already pushed on a 1ds2. I fortunately seem to have a  very good copy of the 16-35mm mk1 lens as it behaves  stopped down a little  and compares well to some of the primes I own - but it was the second copy of that lens I tried, the first was pretty bad.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I envy you guys in NZ - the place is absolutely gorgeous. I spent a week in the southern island back in 2003 with a Contax ND, which did a nice job for the time thanks to those Zeiss lenses, but I wish it had been my 1DS MkIII (which now has those same lenses ).
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

danazoo

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:16:42 pm »

As it turned out, the imagery in my Mark III had a problem. I sent my camera to Canon twice for the problem. On the second go round, I demanded they provide me with professional service. I also got my Dealer as well as his Canon Rep involved.

While it took a little over a week to sort this out, I received a brand new Mark III today. Thank you Canon.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 06:44:35 am »

As it turned out, the imagery in my Mark III had a problem. I sent my camera to Canon twice for the problem. On the second go round, I demanded they provide me with professional service. I also got my Dealer as well as his Canon Rep involved.

While it took a little over a week to sort this out, I received a brand new Mark III today. Thank you Canon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well 2000 frames and my MKIII just died.   It will not transfer a file to the computer when tethered and shuts down.  It is also creating corrupt images when shoot to the card

Wonderful quality control for an $8000 camera.
Craig Lamson Photo

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »

Well 2000 frames and my MKIII just died.   It will not transfer a file to the computer when tethered and shuts down.  It is also creating corrupt images when shoot to the card

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bummer yours has issues.

Your QC comment though doesn't necessarily follow... the law of large numbers dictates that there just will be SOME issues on SOME cameras.  If it's 1 in 50,000, still someone's going to have an issue.  Unfortunate that it's you.  Hopefully they'll take care of you.

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 10:39:21 pm »

I envy you guys in NZ - the place is absolutely gorgeous. I spent a week in the southern island back in 2003 with a Contax ND, which did a nice job for the time thanks to those Zeiss lenses, but I wish it had been my 1DS MkIII (which now has those same lenses ).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Back from the south  - a lot of pretty miles and a lot of frames shot and the 1ds3 is waiting to be picked
 up !

Typical - have to start planning the next trip.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 08:57:54 pm »

Good stuff! Autumn colours looking great down here at the moment. I was out with my 16-35L f2.8 ll last week down the Catlins. Great waterfall country. The lens performs rather well on the Mark III but perhaps not quite up to djgarcia's Zeiss !

The 14bit images certainly can be pulled and push more than the old 12bit images. I specially notice this in the shadows.

Back from the south  - a lot of pretty miles and a lot of frames shot and the 1ds3 is waiting to be picked
 up !

Typical - have to start planning the next trip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190308\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 04:03:19 am »

Here are 1Ds3 highlights (highlight prio. enabled) vs. 5D
Both shot in RAW, converted with DPP.
http://www.pbase.com/image/94450947/original
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 5D also looks like it has more magenta, which I've seen using mine also. I don't like that. The 1DS3 looks like it reproduces better flesh tones--but that may be something else here, and not camera related. I do see the the difference in the highlights, but both versions work for me--the 5D allows the highlights to better backlight the subject, with a nice glow on the edges. These comparisons also show me that the 5D still takes EXCELLENT images.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:03:42 am by dwdallam »

dwdallam

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 04:08:22 am »

Well 2000 frames and my MKIII just died.   It will not transfer a file to the computer when tethered and shuts down.  It is also creating corrupt images when shoot to the card

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You sure it's not the card?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 07:00:38 am »

You sure it's not the card?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191804\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh yes, I'm sure its not the card.
Craig Lamson Photo

dwdallam

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 04:09:49 pm »

Oh yes, I'm sure its not the card.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I figured, but you never know.

My nightmare is to get teh 1DS3 that you got and have problems getting it replaced. For 8, 000US there should be NO PROBLEM getting a fast replacement when this sort of thing happens. It's just unacceptable. That camera cost as much as some nearly new cars.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:12:07 pm by dwdallam »

lovell

• http://
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »

1Ds Mk II and 5D both have 12 bit RAW.  I'd expect them to be reasonably close.  Well, not close enough to prevent a good spirited Internet fight, but reasonably close for a sane person to not really notice a difference 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bit depth has LITTLE to do with Dynamic Range!  The DR is defined by the analog sensor's capabilities and NOT the A/D converter.  Why people equate DR to bit depth is beyond me, to be sure.
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

Craig Lamson

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:54 pm »

I figured, but you never know.

My nightmare is to get teh 1DS3 that you got and have problems getting it replaced. For 8, 000US there should be NO PROBLEM getting a fast replacement when this sort of thing happens. It's just unacceptable. That camera cost as much as some nearly new cars.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191910\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I called my retailer about an exchange and was told it had to go back to Canon.  BTW, the retailer was KEH Camera.  BTW, hte camera was less than a month old when I called.

I'm none too happy that my 8k camera is, in the words of the folks at Canon repair, that my new camera "was in pieces on the bench".

I'm going to give Canon a fair shot at fixing the thing.  ONE fair shot.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »

I called my retailer about an exchange and was told it had to go back to Canon.  BTW, the retailer was KEH Camera.  BTW, hte camera was less than a month old when I called.

I'm none too happy that my 8k camera is, in the words of the folks at Canon repair, that my new camera "was in pieces on the bench".

I'm going to give Canon a fair shot at fixing the thing.  ONE fair shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, my camera came back today, and according to Canon they don't know what was causing the problems, but they did see the corruption in the files.   So they replaced the "D" pcb assembly, replaced the focus sceen, cleaned and did other electrical adjustments and updated the firmware.

I've shot a few frames, and now liveview tethered works and no sign of corrupt files yet.  My problem is that I'm just not sure I can trust this camera yet..maybe not ever.  We will see.

BTW does anyone know which board is the "D" pcb?
Craig Lamson Photo

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:43 pm »

BTW does anyone know which board is the "D" pcb?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the one between the "C" and the "E" one.

sorry .. couldn't resist.

At least they replaced stuff until it worked.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 08:52:32 pm »

It's the one between the "C" and the "E" one.

sorry .. couldn't resist.

At least they replaced stuff until it worked.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was a good one Wayne.

I called and found out that the "d" board is the main board.

And looking I see that despite the notation on the work order, the firmware was not upgraded.

I used the camera all afternoon on a studio setup and it worked fine.  I'll get to checking it out in depth this weekend.  I've got my fingers crossed.
Craig Lamson Photo

dwdallam

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »

Well, I got my DS3 a few days ago, and as i've stated in another thread i started, it won't--can't--balance plain old household socket type fluorescent lights. It continues to have a very yellow cast in both fluorescent WB mode and AWB. I shot the same scene with the same lens on my 5D and the 5D did a spectacular job with WB in AWB mode.

I've also noticed what I believe is a problem in it's evaluative (main) metering mode--it seems to be blowing highlights that my 5D never does.

I'm going to try and dial in the fluorescent mode manually using manual WB adjustment. If that doesn't work--back it goes because I can't trust it to be correct in other areas either. Not only that, but it would be quite an argument to say that the WB on the 5D outperforms the WB of the DS3 when in AWB or fluorescent when correcting for fluorescent light.

also, when you buy cameras, many stores only give you a 15 day return, such as B&H. However, I'm not sure what the return policy is on the 1DS3. I suppose if I get it back before two weeks, I'll get a replacement from B&H.

But I agree that the warranty for an 8, 000US camera should come with a replacement in the first year--not tear it apart and send it back repaired, when it's something as serious as the entire board being bad. If it just needs an adjustment, I can see that I suppose. Then again, when I build my own computers, if the main board goes bad, I just get a new MB, so I guess that's in line with all things digital these days.

dwdallam

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 04:01:28 am »

I posted an update to the problems I thought I was having above. Everything is spot on now.

What I like (love) about the 1DS3:

1. Shooting functions option on the BACK LCD screen. Very nice!
2. ISO in viewfinder.
3. Expanded manual focus point by one point either vertical or horizontal, or both.
4. 5FPS RAW, very cool.
5. Exposure safety by increasing ISO.

And everything else. Very nice camera.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 12:10:41 am »

oops, meant to post this in another thread...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 07:59:56 am by 203 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up