Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya-Phase One body announced  (Read 56957 times)

jimgolden

• http://
New Mamiya-Phase One body announced
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 02:07:34 am »

so no AF leaf shutter lenses (yet...) = manual focus only for high flash sync? or am I stoned?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:07:59 am by jimgolden »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2008, 02:39:26 am »

I just don't get the Pentacon/Hartblei business.

What is the point of this?  Who is asking for this?  

I have the 47 SR from Hartblei, but its strictly for a 'bit of fun'

It just so happens that when I bought it I immediately picked up a job where it paid for itself but that was more luck than judgement.

And it came with a Mamiya mount, so no need for an adapter.

If they could put some better quality glass in that mechanism it would be fantastic, its a lovely piece of engineering...
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:26 am »

Then dont upgrade.

I cant see it being worth it for a few minor upgrades

If however you have specific annoyance with your current setup (flash synch for example) then it will be worth it

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It looks like a decent first step, but once again just a variation of a present theme.  

I think the proof will be in the lens line and if there are new lenses coming online then they should get to market fast and they should be strong and robust, same with the build quality and elimation of the shutter lag.

One of the things I like about the phase back is the build quality and stability of the system and the new camera should reflect this.  The back feels upscale, so should the camera.

The previous afdII was not necessarilly a bad camera but never felt like real quality, even the autofocus of the few that I tried made a lot of noise, which I hope is addressed with this camera.

I still don't understand why all of these newer medium format camera do not have a right angle grip and shutter release.  Even a clip on accessory would be better than having to reach around all day on a long shoot.

Once again, the viability will be in the lenses.  If they are solid, fast and have good auto and manual focus then they will be accepted, but the feel and quality must be there.

Now if Phase can get this to market and make sure it is solid and long lasting, they should get it into rental houses with a full lens line as soon as possible.  

Since the price is very attractive if I was Phase/Mamiya, the next thing I would turn my attention to (like first thing in the morning)  is the RZwith the digital interface.  I would rework the finder so it had greater magnification and reposition the blades to fit the 645 (or smaller) crop so that the view is accurate.

I don't think you can over estimate how many working pros loved shooting with the RZ, especially beauty and portraits and how many RZ lenses are sitting on a shelf waiting for use or realize how strong a selling point it would be to bundle two cameras, one for studio, one for location at the same price as the compeitions one system.

At least the new camera is black.

JR

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2008, 03:23:21 am »

I still don't understand why all of these newer medium format camera do not have a right angle grip and shutter release.  Even a clip on accessory would be better than having to reach around all day on a long shoot.

james, i agree.
i cant understand why they dont make a accessory grip. a 5d has one?? if you hold a camera vertical on long days, this is a nice feature.
and its another way mamiya can make easy money, and it would make it look a lot cooler than the competition.
they should be learning off canon and contax.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2008, 03:33:54 am »

I still don't understand why all of these newer medium format camera do not have a right angle grip and shutter release.  Even a clip on accessory would be better than having to reach around all day on a long shoot.
james, i agree.
i cant understand why they dont make a accessory grip. a 5d has one?? if you hold a camera vertical on long days, this is a nice feature.
and its another way mamiya can make easy money, and it would make it look a lot cooler than the competition.

paul

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I love this.  Usability is one thing, impression is another.

Your design of this grip along with a big matte box and now you have one professional looking and working camera.

Add to it a useable right angle finder for low work, that 28mm lens, resurrect the 300mm 2.8 and throw in a few leaf shutters and for the price this could be a very good system.

JR

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2008, 03:46:33 am »

Hi
I have not posted much these days. I think this is great news for MFD. The new body has some improvements or you can wait for the new body coming in a year. They said a new body in March & they delivered. Nice new lenses 45-90, 150 2.8, & the 80 with the AF switch. Besides the H3D ,Mamiya have a 28mm lens. There are new leaf shutter lenses coming through Phase. It is not a closed system & through the MAC group in the US Leaf will support this camera. But I do think it is time that the MFD makers up the MP count. Canon is at 22 mp with a great lens lineup & Nikon are making moves with there D3. Too me it is good news & Mamiya has been very active in the past year.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

elitegroup

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2008, 03:49:31 am »

I still don't understand why all of these newer medium format camera do not have a right angle grip and shutter release.  Even a clip on accessory would be better than having to reach around all day on a long shoot.
paul

this is the SEX, LOL  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:49:58 am by elitegroup »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2008, 03:49:32 am »

james, i agree.

paul

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Great mock up & maybe Mamiya will listen & take note.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2008, 04:06:41 am »

Hi
Great mock up & maybe Mamiya will listen & take note.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

who here would pay 700- 1000(is that the amount the contax grip went for?) for and accessory grip like this that has all the buttons and holds a rechargable battery?

im sure this is a relatively simple peice of design, as long as there was the forethought of putting the contacts on the main body. im sure there would a hell of a lot better profit margin in it than selling lenses.

paul
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:19:53 am by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

jonstewart

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2008, 04:55:26 am »

its only $5,000 us with the 80mm lens.  This is a very reasonable price, and I can't see anyone shooting with a $20,000+ back not willing to make the upgrade from $2,000 used AFDII and 80mm lens (thats what I got mine for on ebay 6 months ago) to the $5,000 phase one camera.  I am just relieved that it is not in the 8,000 dollar range, which is what I was expecting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think your argument is completely self defeating. Your reasons above are exactly why I wouldn't consider upgrading my AFD2 right now. (I might change my mind after absorbing the relevance of the extra lenses available)

Lastly, UK pricing is likely to be way above US pricing levels. If it's $5000 with you it's likely to be (equivalent) $7000-8000 with us.

I consider that good advice would be to step aside from all the marketing BS from Phase One, and ask yourself seriously, what is it going to do that my current one can't do, and is that extra function or non-functional advantage worth the investment? Especially in the light of a new camera coming next year.

(Remember the way that a certain large software company sha@fted everybody for years, bringing out an new OS which was just a small increment on the last one? They made a fortune from people upgrading every time)

This 'new' camera, I think, is just 'carrot dangling' to keep people interested in this line of cameras, while they develop their next major step up next year. It's a valid marketing
strategy, as far as the shareholders are concerned, but plays on a range wants / needs of potential buyers, not really related to it's improvement over the current model.

Each to his own! Maybe 1/4000 with still significant shutter lag and slower (if accurate) AF is valuable to some.

Now, where can I get a back that does 120 frames a minute?

Jon

EDIT: I hope the way I've put some things here doesn't give offence. I'm just to trying to put points fairly bluntly as I see it, from my perception. No disrespect is intended to the opinion of others. (I guess I'm not terribly happy with Phase One atm, after the way they treated me at a recent photographic trade show I was at.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:15:22 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

jonstewart

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:16 am »

Very little maybe but very little can make all the difference.

If they get some nice leaf lenses out it will be a fantastic system IMO

with lenses avaiable from maunually 24 Fish, 28, 55 rise fall through to 500 odd

many at stupid low used prices for now

And leaf lenses and multpoint AF

Lensewise

The 28 makes it 'beat' the hy6 system

The rise/fall, fish and longs make it 'beat' the H system

Multipoint AF makes it beat all systems (if it is any good)

(and backup bodies also for stupid low prices)

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps you're right, Sam, but (rightly) there are a lot of 'if's' there.
Jon
Jon Stewart

Shedaoshai

• http://
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2008, 06:33:10 am »

does anyone know the x-sync speed of the AFDIII?

lance_schad

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2008, 07:38:58 am »

Not sure if everyone has seen the new Value Added Case. It is pretty slick!
[attachment=5663:attachment]

Also wanted to give everyone a heads up that the PhaseOne promos that are running right now with the Free Mamiya Cameras and Lenses is definitely ending at the end of March (more info clickhere).
We have not received all the pricing yet, but from what I can see is the bundle of the P45+,Mamiya 645AFDII,80mm and 28mm lens that is priced at $29990 (classic) and $32,990 (value add) + $2500 new camera platform swap out price, is still going to be considerably less than if you wait until after March 31, because of the Free 28mm lens that has a value of $5300.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer of the Year
lance@captureintegration.com
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:55:13 am by lance_schad »
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

jonstewart

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:45 am »

Not sure if everyone has seen the new Value Added Case. It is pretty slick!
[attachment=5663:attachment]

Also wanted to give everyone a heads up that the PhaseOne promos that are running right now with the Free Mamiya Cameras and Lenses is definitely ending at the end of March (more info clickhere).
We have not received all the pricing yet, but from what I can see is the bundle of the P45+,Mamiya 645AFDII,80mm and 28mm lens that is priced at $29990 (classic) and $32,990 (value add) + $2500 new camera platform swap out price, is still going to be considerably less than if you wait until after March 31, because of the Free 28mm lens that has a value of $5300.
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer of the Year
lance@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So, everything to suck people into buying now, for the small upgrade. Do you not think it inappropriate to use this forum as a blatant selling platform for your products?

The 'for sale' forum would be a better place to put this, wouldn't it?

I note that Capture Integration (while being a great dealer) treat this forum completely differently from other people who have associations with particular equipment makes (no names mentioned). Others talk much more about the strengths (and sometime weaknesses) of that equipment, without trying on all this hard sell stuff. They let the products, and those who use them, sell the product.

Frankly, for one, I'm delighted when Capture Integration provide testing results, or links to informational articles (which is mostly what Chris does) but I'm beginning to find all the marketing by other members of the crew a bit distasteful and inappropriate.

There; got that off my chest.
Jon
Jon Stewart

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2008, 08:51:31 am »

Jon,
 Give the guy a break, he's just being ever so slightly over-enthusiastic ....
 And he is being very informative re. pricing.
 The dealers tend to be refreshingly factual compared with the marketing guys who push out the press releases -

Edmund

So, everything to suck people into buying now, for the small upgrade. Do you not think it inappropriate to use this forum as a blatant selling platform for your products?

I note that Capture Integration (while being a great dealer) treat this forum completely differently from other people who have associations with particular equipment makes (no names mentioned). Others talk much more about the strengths (and sometime weaknesses) of that equipment, without trying on all this hard sell stuff. They let the products, and those who use them, sell the product.

Frankly, for one, I'm delighted when Capture Integration provide testing results, or links to informational articles (which is mostly what Chris does) but I'm beginning to find all the marketing by other members of the crew a bit distasteful and inappropriate.

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:52:50 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2008, 09:17:55 am »

Please hold the horses on tha vertical grip... It would add weight and bulk in my camera pack and I think is not good thing. AFD with lens and back is already heavy... wish they would reduce weight instead!

AFDIII / PhaseOne AFD have news of good improvements; not DSLR high tech ones but features that are useful for my photography:

* Faster and more accurate AF
* Integrated, more ergonomic hand grip (wish as good as F100... but maybe not...)
* New mirror damping mechanism that is claimed to eliminate need for mirror lock up
* Added mirror lock up / release capability on grip
* Improved dial, shutter, grip ergonomics, AF lever (for AF mode selection)

Negative is that price is somewhat higher than AFDII...

Regards
Anders

jonstewart

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2008, 09:24:59 am »

I agree with you Edmund, he's certainly being over enthusiastic.

But the pricing is completely irrelevant to the many, many of us who don't live in the USA. This is a world forum, not a US forum, n'est pas?

I also agree that the dealers can be a lot more frank than the marketing guys, and I pointed out my complete approval of most of what Capture Integration posts. I still think that Lance's post just went too far. I'd have much less of a problem with indicating promo prices, and referring to the details being available on their site, as has happened a number of times before. Chris does that in a very acceptable and 'unpressurising' way. Perhaps part of my difficulty is cultural, a difference in between US and here.

Do you disagree with my observations about how Capture Integration treat this site, compared with others?

Jon
Jon Stewart

lance_schad

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jon,
I think that information such as what was posted is useful to some folks that may be on the fence about make a decision on which way to go, saving over $5300 is pretty substantial. .This information is not widely distributed out there  and people are free to take advantage of this offer from any reseller not just us.
Others have posted promotional information about their products here without any issues. Also possibly you are more aware of the Capture Integration posts because we have multiple members from our team posting a variety of information, most of which we have worked on together as a team. We each have our different style of communication, but all work together to make sure we provide a wealth of information to the community.
I apologize if you personally took offense.

lance

btw: Yes I am excited about this!!! It is great for the whole MF industry.
Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

jonstewart

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2008, 09:43:51 am »

Jon,
I think that information such as what was posted is useful to some folks that may be on the fence about make a decision on which way to go, saving over $5300 is pretty substantial.

So it is about a quick sell then, before the end of March. Would you rather that someone bought the right product for their style / type of photography, or just bought the cheapest, in the short space of time available?

This information is not widely distributed out there  and people are free to take advantage of this offer from any reseller not just us.

I have little problem with you pointing to the information on your site, giving the reader the choice to go there if they wish. You do believe in user choice, don't you?

Others have posted promotional information about their products here without any issues.

Perhaps others shouldn't have been ignored in this respect, but my recollection is that CI do this a lot more than anybody else... maybe I'm wrong in this?

Also possibly you are more aware of the Capture Integration posts because we have multiple members from our team posting a variety of information, most of which we have worked on together as a team. We each have our different style of communication, but all work together to make sure we provide a wealth of information to the community.

I think I made it clear that this is what I enjoy about the whole team posting. You guys have a wealth of knowledge and personal experience. I believe that that has much more of an influence on people either buying from you, or buying the same products you sell. I think that posting detailed pricing that you did, with the rider of 'buy now or pay more later' only detracts from the way you might influence others, but I can only really speak for myself here!

I apologize if you personally took offense.

No need to apologise. I just wanted to highlight a different take on reaction to your post.

lance

btw: Yes I am excited about this!!! It is great for the whole MF industry.
Lance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't share your excitement; Sorry!
Jon
Jon Stewart

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2008, 09:56:22 am »

This 'new' camera, I think, is just 'carrot dangling' to keep people interested in this line of cameras, while they develop their next major step up next year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bingo! I feel that the real camera and leaf shutter lenses are far away but the marketing machine will do what it can to keep people waiting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up