Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya-Phase One body announced  (Read 57178 times)

amsp

New Mamiya-Phase One body announced
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2008, 10:02:13 pm »

I must say I'm slightly disappointed. I mean it's a great camera, and I'm sure the improvements are real and beneficial, I was just hoping for a "surprise" or two. The new lenses look great though, and the fact that leaf shutter lenses will be out later this year is good news. I'm looking forward to some hands-on reviews.

jpjespersen

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »

I must say I'm slightly disappointed. I mean it's a great camera, and I'm sure the improvements are real and beneficial, I was just hoping for a "surprise" or two. The new lenses look great though, and the fact that leaf shutter lenses will be out later this year is good news. I'm looking forward to some hands-on reviews.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perfectly put.  Slightly disappointed.  I was hoping for a camera that looked completely different than anything out there.  But I guess this is all they could afford.  Multiple lens mount is pretty nice though.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:50 pm »

It's actually pretty good news, I think. Promising new lenses, some needed and welcome improvements to the AFD body. If you turn off the marketing hype, you see solid movement forward. And I agree with Leonardo that a conservative improvement of an existing design certainly has it's positives. While I don't sell Phase One, I also feel it potentially marks the beginning of a beneficial relationship that will help to keep the medium format world a reasonably crowded one - another positive.

Essentially it will be welcomed by those who fundamentally like the existing camera. I don't think it's likely to switch anyone who already has a bias against it. I'm looking forward to selling Leaf, Hasselblad and Sinar digital backs with this new camera. Umm, that is, selling them with the Mamiya branded version, of course...  

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »

Essentially it will be welcomed by those who fundamentally like the existing camera. I don't think it's likely to switch anyone who already has a bias against it. I'm looking forward to selling Leaf, Hasselblad and Sinar digital backs with this new camera. Umm, that is, selling them with the Mamiya branded version, of course...  

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Steve,

I'd be glad to sell you the Phase One version if you like.  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 10:33:06 pm »

A good system is getting better. What's not to like about that? It doesn't meet everyone's hopes and expectations, but that's always true of a new system.

Everybody has been asking for additional AF points, and that's what we got. Supposedly, the AF will be somewhat faster too. That's certainly a good thing.

The 45-90/4.5 and 150/2.8 are now official. Combined with the 75-150, the 28, and the new 80, we have a very attractive set of lenses. Certainly more choices than were available a year ago. And if I read Michael's essay correctly, the rumored leaf lenses are still to come, and are more than just the Hassy V and Pentacon (sp?) lenses.

We're getting lens correction in the next Capture One. That's certainly a good thing.

Michael suggests a follow-on body with more aggressive improvements is already in work. Sounds interesting.

All in all, I have to say I'm moderately pleased.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:23 pm »

I'm so disappointed that I'm going to kill myself tonight.

Ed

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:52 pm »

For the disappointed and the ones that want to be surprised or see nothing new ... wait for 1-Q 09///

""As for the future – the word is that Phase One and Mamiya are working together on a next-generation camera body that, (and I'm guessing here) might still be 12 – 18 months away. The reasoning behind introducing the Phase One camera based on a rebadged Mamiya 645 now is to establish the brand association with camera bodies; ensure that there is a committed body for current and future digital back sales, and establish distribution of cameras and lenses through existing Phase One dealers and VARs. Then, when the next-generation advanced body comes along in (likely) Q1 2009, everything will be in place. The impression that I got from interviewing Phase One executives is that they are taking this system and its ongoing and long-term evolution very seriously indeed.

Phase has announced that it plans to develop on its own, and with other manufacturers, additional lenses for the platform, and this is to include some leaf shutter lenses, which pros shooting studio flash really need. These leaf shutter lenses will not be replacements for the existing lens line, but rather, in addition to.///

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...phase-645.shtml
[font=Comic Sa

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »

Can someone please explain the Vmount adapter

Its stop down only ?

Leaf shutter not used ?

ps looking forward to auctioning or using my 24 fisheye

And check out the used prices of getting a back up AFD body - I assume you could still take pitures with that

S
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:17:11 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2008, 11:47:31 pm »

it is certainly not a revolution but it sounds like a good evolution.

At the end it's a strong system : lenses, leaf shutter lenses, body with almost all that is needed beside optional viewfinder, software integration, AF, several points now, could be slow but it's dead on ...

not too much weak point.

jonstewart

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2008, 11:58:58 pm »

Much fuss about very little, then.

Guess there'll be many now deciding (whether) to wait and see if they can come up with something really innovative in 2009. For myself, I need a view camera far more than I need this small incremental upgrade  to my existing camera.

I wonder have they compromised sales of this AFD3, by announcing something better  coming in 2009?

J

EDIT: and especially when we get to see pricing for UK, it'll be very unlikely it's worth upgrading to.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:06:34 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

david o

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 12:01:08 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you're right

jpjespersen

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:21 am »

its only $5,000 us with the 80mm lens.  This is a very reasonable price, and I can't see anyone shooting with a $20,000+ back not willing to make the upgrade from $2,000 used AFDII and 80mm lens (thats what I got mine for on ebay 6 months ago) to the $5,000 phase one camera.  I am just relieved that it is not in the 8,000 dollar range, which is what I was expecting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:13:45 am by jpjespersen »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2008, 12:13:48 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very little maybe but very little can make all the difference.

If they get some nice leaf lenses out it will be a fantastic system IMO

with lenses avaiable from maunually 24 Fish, 28, 55 rise fall through to 500 odd

many at stupid low used prices for now

And leaf lenses and multpoint AF

Lensewise

The 28 makes it 'beat' the hy6 system

The rise/fall, fish and longs make it 'beat' the H system

Multipoint AF makes it beat all systems (if it is any good)

(and backup bodies also for stupid low prices)

SMM

david o

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2008, 12:16:13 am »

from the mamiya jap site it looks like there is something about the ZD back...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:52 am »

its only $5,000 us with the 80mm lens.  This is a very reasonable price, and I can't see anyone shooting with a $20,000+ back not willing to make the upgrade from $2,000 used AFDII and 80mm lens (thats what I got mine for on ebay 6 months ago) to the $5,000 phase one camera.  I am just relieved that it is not in the 8,000 dollar range, which is what I was expecting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Upgrade ? What for ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:53 am »

Upgrade ? What for ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

leaf lenses - multipoint AF

S

jpjespersen

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:46 am »

Upgrade ? What for ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
From LL Release
As for the Phase One 645 (and Mamiya AFD III), the camera has seen a lot of updates and revisions from the current AFDII, many of them internal. Immediately obvious is that the top prism-mounted Metering and Exposure Compensation dials are no longer there, replaced by programmable electronic controls on the LCD panel. The intention here is to create a more fluid and integrated user interface.

There is a new integrated, more ergonomic hand grip made of molded silicon, apparently with an easier to grip surface. The autofocus system is also updated, and is claimed to be more accurate than before and noticeably faster.

A new mirror dampening mechanism has been added that is claimed to eliminate the need for mirror lock up. But to Phase One and Mamiya's credit they have also added a new mirror lock up / release capability on the grip, so user like me will likely be satisfied, regardless.

Apparently there is a new 80mm lens being made available that has a better "feel", and the level of integration between the lenses, the body and digital backs has been enhanced considerably.

Phase has announced that it plans to develop on its own, and with other manufacturers, additional lenses for the platform, and this is to include some leaf shutter lenses, which pros shooting studio flash really need. These leaf shutter lenses will not be replacements for the existing lens line, but rather, in addition to.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 12:52:58 am »

Upgrade ? I'm happy I have a working setup, although my Phase P45+ seems to be dropping pixel columns now and again. Why should I risk another camera and other teething problems ?
 I've more than paid my dues.

The main function of this camera, in fact, is to reassure Phase buyers that there will continue to be one camera in production that can take their back. Erase that - that there is exactly one SLR camera that can take their back -I don't want to be disrespectful to Alpa, Silvestri, Cambo and other purveyors of precision mechanics.

Edmund

From LL Release
As for the Phase One 645 (and Mamiya AFD III), the camera has seen a lot of updates and revisions from the current AFDII, many of them internal. Immediately obvious is that the top prism-mounted Metering and Exposure Compensation dials are no longer there, replaced by programmable electronic controls on the LCD panel. The intention here is to create a more fluid and integrated user interface.

There is a new integrated, more ergonomic hand grip made of molded silicon, apparently with an easier to grip surface. The autofocus system is also updated, and is claimed to be more accurate than before and noticeably faster.

A new mirror dampening mechanism has been added that is claimed to eliminate the need for mirror lock up. But to Phase One and Mamiya's credit they have also added a new mirror lock up / release capability on the grip, so user like me will likely be satisfied, regardless.

Apparently there is a new 80mm lens being made available that has a better "feel", and the level of integration between the lenses, the body and digital backs has been enhanced considerably.

Phase has announced that it plans to develop on its own, and with other manufacturers, additional lenses for the platform, and this is to include some leaf shutter lenses, which pros shooting studio flash really need. These leaf shutter lenses will not be replacements for the existing lens line, but rather, in addition to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:05:08 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 01:04:57 am »

Upgrade ? I'm happy I have a working setup,
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then dont upgrade.

I cant see it being worth it for a few minor upgrades

If however you have specific annoyance with your current setup (flash synch for example) then it will be worth it

S

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 01:35:59 am »

I would still rather shoot w/ a digiback on an RZ67.  that camera feels so much better in my hands than the afd.  the only thing really negative about the rz would be not having wide enough lens.....maybe someone can convince mamiya to actually make that 43mm for the rz that was rumored for so long.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up