Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya-Phase One body announced  (Read 57235 times)

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
New Mamiya-Phase One body announced
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57:11 am »

There seams to be a new ZD back announced in the Mamiya Japan site

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/news_mdinr08030012.html

ダブルバッファーモデル translates to "Double Buffer Model"

They also have the "Phase One 645 AF" camera but it is not called 645 AFD III but just 645 AFD

中判AF一眼レフカメラ「マミヤ645AFDⅢ」
及び「120/220 ロールフィルムホルダー HM402」
発売のお知らせ

新たにニッケル水素電池にも対応 (Compatible with nickel hydride batteries)

They also have the new "Phase One" 80mm lens and other two lenses AF150 F2.8 IF D / AF45-90㎜F4.5 D Aspherical
[font=Comic Sa

jonstewart

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:32 am »

does anyone know the x-sync speed of the AFDIII?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1/125 I have on good authority!
J
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

elitegroup

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2008, 10:30:46 am »

Jon,
I think that information such as what was posted is useful to some folks that may be on the fence about make a decision on which way to go, saving over $5300 is pretty substantial. .This information is not widely distributed out there  and people are free to take advantage of this offer from any reseller not just us.
Others have posted promotional information about their products here without any issues. Also possibly you are more aware of the Capture Integration posts because we have multiple members from our team posting a variety of information, most of which we have worked on together as a team. We each have our different style of communication, but all work together to make sure we provide a wealth of information to the community.
I apologize if you personally took offense.

lance

btw: Yes I am excited about this!!! It is great for the whole MF industry.
Lance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey buddy, it's OK you don't have to apologize     just remember to hook me up with an excellent deal when I'm ready to buy  

Wish I could take advantage of the promo before March 31st  

jpjespersen

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2008, 10:41:12 am »

I personally am willing to pay 4,000 dollars for a faster more accurate autofocus - if this is the case.  I am sick of waiting for camera's to catch up to the backs.  This is a good step and I am willing to pay 4 grand to have better autofocus until next year.

I think your argument is completely self defeating. Your reasons above are exactly why I wouldn't consider upgrading my AFD2 right now. (I might change my mind after absorbing the relevance of the extra lenses available)

Lastly, UK pricing is likely to be way above US pricing levels. If it's $5000 with you it's likely to be (equivalent) $7000-8000 with us.
I consider that good advice would be to step aside from all the marketing BS from Phase One, and ask yourself seriously, what is it going to do that my current one can't do, and is that extra function or non-functional advantage worth the investment? Especially in the light of a new camera coming next year.

Jon

EDIT: I hope the way I've put some things here doesn't give offence. I'm just to trying to put points fairly bluntly as I see it, from my perception. No disrespect is intended to the opinion of others. (I guess I'm not terribly happy with Phase One atm, after the way they treated me at a recent photographic trade show I was at.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:13 am »

does anyone know the x-sync speed of the AFDIII?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a lot of information that seems to be missing, or difficult to find.

Along with the X-sync, what is the complete lens lineup?, when will the new lenses be introduced, how fast will they be etc. etc.

In regards to mounting other lenses like the V and Mamiya manual focus, do you have to manually stop down when shooting (regardless of metering)?

With the V lenses will the shutters be operable, or just used in wide open mode?

Pentagon?  Well I guess I can understand it for maybe that strange Harteblei (which I use for the contax) but what does pentagon offer that's really important and do you have to stop them down when shooting?

Where are the af points and how about a screen shot?  

Why not a right angle grip, heck $1000 Nikons have one and most important, (very very important) will this be as strong as a tank (think Contax, Canon, RZ).  The previous mamiya afd did not have a good reputation in rental houses in regards to reliability (actually the H series blad also has some issues in the lens department), but for this camera, or any new camera to make a dent in the professional market it better be a hammer that can put up with the abuse that rentals receive.

Medium format (and this goes for all the medium format companies, not just phase) needs to be more informative and less cryptic.  

I want to see a price list of current lenses, dates on when new lenses will be introduced, reports about battery use/life, diagrams of focus, exact details of how 3rd party lenses work, if they focus to infinity.

And Lance and all the dealers, if your going to post sales information go further about how much product you have in stock, how much does it cost to change a different mount over to the Mamiya,  how fast you can get lenses and accessories and the mount change done and how repairs are handled.  No mumble mouth about cute little cases that hold one body and two lenses,  or answering the three specific questions you "want" to answer and God please spare us responses of "due out in 3rd quarter 08".

Medium format needs to stop looking inward and look outside of their world.  It seems Phase looks at Leaf, Leaf at Hasselblad, Sinar at Phase, but rather than just compete and compare with the direct competition, look at what the buyer needs today.

Put yourself in the position of if you wanted to buy a digital camera  today, and start working in two days, what is really available.

I can walk into almost any camera store on the planet and buy everything Canon or Nikon offers, toss it in a bag and go to work.

I find it interesting and perplexing that I can lay out my Contax system of bodies, right angle grips, lenses and waist level finders and pretty much replace all of it in two days for less costs than the new Mamiya, much less costs than the Hasselblad, much, much, much less costs than the Hy6.  

This doesn't mean the new Mamiya, Haselblad, or Rollei is not a good camera, or might turn out to be the best choice, but I think it should be assumed that anyone that puts down serious money for a medium format system has serious work to do, needs serious answers and needs availability today, not at some future date, tbd.

I think the dealers should be aware that most photographers that buy thier own equipment and follow this stuff are a little gun shy.  The last few years have seen a ton of annoucements, usually the same annoucements with the same repeated promises, but not a lot of delivery and real time dates on hardware and software.  

For me and others that make their living making photographs, the most important thing is you make this investment will everything that is promised actually make it's way to the shelf?

In fact I find this annoucement very un Phase One like.  It's got a lot of sizzle, but not a lot of meat.

As the saying goes, just the facts man.

So Lance, the next time you want to make a banner ad on a forum, put in more information not just the current press release.

JR

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2008, 10:56:50 am »

Jon,
I think that information such as what was posted is useful to some folks that may be on the fence about make a decision on which way to go, saving over $5300 is pretty substantial. .This information is not widely distributed out there  and people are free to take advantage of this offer from any reseller not just us.
Others have posted promotional information about their products here without any issues. Also possibly you are more aware of the Capture Integration posts because we have multiple members from our team posting a variety of information, most of which we have worked on together as a team. We each have our different style of communication, but all work together to make sure we provide a wealth of information to the community.
I apologize if you personally took offense.

lance

btw: Yes I am excited about this!!! It is great for the whole MF industry.
Lance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Give lance a break. What's the big deal with putting pricing up? Sure we don't want to see it being plastered over the forum everytime but it's not going to make such an impact that you have to reply with such vitriol

anyway looks like the shutter lag issue was NOT addressed.
*shakes head*

James R Russell

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2008, 11:02:22 am »

Bingo! I feel that the real camera and leaf shutter lenses are far away but the marketing machine will do what it can to keep people waiting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182707\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What you feel and what you know are much different.  

The problem is nobody knows, but that is the normal course with a lot of medium format systems and unfortunatley Phase/Mamiya has taken a page out of the Leaf/Sinar style of product annoucements which is to produce a spiffy announcement but just say it with an asterick attached.

To Phase's credit at least they didn't make an "open platform" that's only available to Phase and ZD back owners and they didn't price it like a 5 series BMW.

JR

jonstewart

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2008, 11:03:44 am »

Give lance a break. What's the big deal with putting pricing up? Sure we don't want to see it being plastered over the forum everytime but it's not going to make such an impact that you have to reply with such vitriol

anyway looks like the shutter lag issue was NOT addressed.
*shakes head*
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I heard from someone who had handled it that you are right about the shutter lag issue. We'll know for certain when it gets into the hands of reviewers.

It was 'price' and 'buy now or pay more later' that caused me concern!
Jon
Jon Stewart

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2008, 11:08:19 am »

I don't think you can over estimate how many working pros loved shooting with the RZ, especially beauty and portraits and how many RZ lenses are sitting on a shelf waiting for use or realize how strong a selling point it would be to bundle two cameras, one for studio, one for location at the same price as the compeitions one system.

At least the new camera is black.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is being done now by both Leaf and Phase One ( both offering free Mamiya 645AFDII camera which expires 3/31/08 - thanks Lance!   ) . A Mamiya RZ Pro IID Kit adds $3,199 to the price of a Leaf Aptus or Phase One back, which brings the price of a Mamiya 645AFD/Mamiya RZ bundled with either Aptus or Phase very close to an AFi/Hy6/H3DII bundle.

I have a call into Mamiya regarding AFDII to AFDIII upgrade pricing - they don't have it yet, if anyone else does, that would be helpful to know....Lance?    

I agree about the RZ - photographers love the RZ, and even with some of the limitations, love using that system with digital. The glaring limitation, of course, being the 6x7 format with smaller digital sensors - for some that's a deal breaker, for others where it is not, much satisfaction shooting that system digitally.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2008, 11:12:19 am »

I heard from someone who had handled it that you are right about the shutter lag issue. We'll know for certain when it gets into the hands of reviewers.

It was 'price' and 'buy now or pay more later' that caused me concern!
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

in all fairness the promotion that lance mentioned is not specific to his company, it's a phase one offer across the board.

slightly off topic but leaf has a similar offer but seems to offer a toyo vx23d also.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:06 am »

I am gathering and distilling information for a FAQ section on our website on the Phase One body to help reduce confusion. If anyone has such a question please post it here or email me at doug@captureintegration.com. We'll do our best to track down an answer.

Someone asked about flash sync speeds. Phase One and Mamiya are saying leaf shutter lenses will be available "in 2008" which will provide higher flash sync speeds. I have no information on whether the sync speed using the focal plane shutter (i.e. all currently available lenses) has increased from 1/125, but have no reason to believe it has been. I will confirm this information for the FAQ.

One note, the adapter for Hasselblad V lenses keeps the len's shutter open and uses the body's focal plane to take the image. Therefore no faster sync speed will be had from the use of a Hassy V lens.

Doug Peterson, webmaster and tech at Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2008, 11:18:55 am »

JR,

I started writing my request for questions in between taking calls and so didn't see your post before I finally was able to post. We'll do our best to get your questions answered and post the response both here an on our website.

Doug, webmaster and tech at Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2008, 11:45:18 am »

in all fairness the promotion that lance mentioned is not specific to his company, it's a phase one offer across the board.

slightly off topic but leaf has a similar offer but seems to offer a toyo vx23d also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to clarify on the Leaf/Mamiya/Toyo promos:

The Mamiya deal is good with the purchase of any Leaf Aptus or Aptus S digital back and includes:

*Free Mamiya 645AFDII
*Buy 1 Mamiya lens, get a 2nd of equal value free

The Toyo deal is only on Aptus 75 or 75-S and includes:

*Free Toyo VX23D View Camera
*Free Mounting Adapter
*Free Leaf Live Video

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

narikin

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:22 pm »

I just don't get the Pentacon/Hartblei business.

What is the point of this?  Who is asking for this?   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think you are overlooking the fact that there was some really great glass made for the Pentacon 6 mount by Schneider.
medium, wide and tele - xenotars, curtagons, etc. all top quality designs, often better than hassy-zeiss.

looking forward to trying the new Mamiya lenses - the build and mounts look way improved, and Mamiya always made great optics, so I have high hopes, especially with software corrections of abberations.

hope they bring out an updated ZD2 w 39Mp and Phase know-how, that would be a new style of camera over and apart from dslr's, and a whole field to themselves...

James R Russell

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2008, 12:21:16 pm »

Just to clarify on the Leaf/Mamiya/Toyo promos:

The Mamiya deal is good with the purchase of any Leaf Aptus or Aptus S digital back and includes:

*Free Mamiya 645AFDII
*Buy 1 Mamiya lens, get a 2nd of equal value free

The Toyo deal is only on Aptus 75 or 75-S and includes:

*Free Toyo VX23D View Camera
*Free Mounting Adapter
*Free Leaf Live Video
Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

I think you should be talking to Steve and some of the other dealers because I believe your missing an income stream of placing some banner ads on this forum.

JR

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »

It's looking nice enough to upgrade for me.
However I hate the fact they still use AA batteries instead of a accupack.

I would also love to see a Highspeedsync option for systemflashes like the Metz, which I dearly miss for fill in flash outside.
On the canon it works with the Metz, changing it to the Mamiya socket the option is not available anymore.

Leaf shutterlenses would solve this but I would also love some sort of highspeed sync programming for the system flash.

I agree that I want to see the extra focuspoints, when they are landscape oriented they are missing out for the portrait photographers.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2008, 01:10:29 pm »

Jon,

It's so hard to get reliable information these days regarding MF that I prefer being spammed a bit to being information-deprived.

Re. the price information, americans are always a bit exuberant, extroverted and commercially oriented  compared with us more reserved and artistic europeans

No offense intended to anyone

Edmund

I agree with you Edmund, he's certainly being over enthusiastic.

Do you disagree with my observations about how Capture Integration treat this site, compared with others?

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:27 pm »

Hi
This is from the MAC group with larger photos of body & 80mm lens. Open platform & called AFD III.

http://www.mamiya.com/news-events-press-releases.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:13:34 pm by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

jonstewart

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2008, 02:32:50 pm »

Jon,

Re. the price information, americans are always a bit exuberant, extroverted and commercially oriented  compared with us more reserved and artistic europeans

No offense intended to anyone

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you just about summed it up perfectly there, Edmund. In my case though I'm autistic (as well as artistic), so that might go further to explaining why I took some exception.

Anyway, back to the thread. So when are we going to see some references/pics etc to all this lovely glass, people are talking about?

Jon  
Jon Stewart

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2008, 03:45:10 pm »

yes - but that´s nothing new. I use a schneider curtagon and  zeiss jena flektogon sine I have the ZD. any old 10 euro adapter P6>mamiya  does it.  lenses from 50-200 euros from ebay. and i admit, it feels a bit strange using a 100 euro lens on a camera/back that costs a hundred time or more than the lens.
and don´t forget the fab schneider and rodenstock  APO rodagons and componons  from 80mm upwards via adapter like zörks (including even shift and tilt). 100-200 euros for probably unbeaten lensquality and optimised for wide open work!

stefan

Quote from: narikin,Mar 19 2008, 11:12 AM
I think you are overlooking the fact that there was some really great glass made for the Pentacon 6 mount by Schneider.
medium, wide and tele - xenotars, curtagons, etc. all top quality designs, often better than hassy-zeiss.
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up