Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting Canvas on Chipboard or Similar  (Read 12273 times)

elolaugesen

Re: Mounting Canvas on Chipboard or Similar
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 05:56:27 am »

I asked a question earlier about mounting an 7ft by almost 3 ft on a board.  just to see the replies

However I have over the past 25 years used a heated thermal mount unit for mounting many different things.  The unique thing about canvas is that you never know how it actutally will stick to board.  One of the basic things to remember the finer the canvas material the better it should work as a larger proportion of the canvas will stick to the board, while a very rough canvas will because of the deep valley will not stick as well as a smaller percentage of the actual canvas will touch the board with glue sto the board.  I know someone will say the pressure of the press will solve this?    sometimes it will sometimes it will not....????

same thing applies to water color papers mounted to a board.  the finer the texture the better it sticks.  rough paper will start to rise after a while.

cheers elo

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:59 am »

Canvas on Gatorboard with Miracle Muck.
Other then a little twisting due to moisture being only added to one side it is by far our #1 seller.
Do them by the hundreds for commercial environments.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:34:56 pm »

In regards to using heat mount materials with canvas, the important thing is to get a thick layer of the adhesive that can flow deeply into the canvas as heat is applied.

One way is to use multiple layers of Fusion 4000 or a similar tissues that are sheets of pure glue with no carrier paper.  Since it melts and flows it can be piled up haphazardly with both large sheets or torn up bits and pieces.  As long as there's enough of it, and heat is applied long enough so it flows into the canvas, you're good to go.  IMHO three layers is minimum for canvas if you want a long term bond.  As with any new attachment method, one should test to see how easily artwork can be pulled away from the backing.  If the media pulls away with large parts of the backing sticking to it, that's good.

Peronally, I dislike the way heat mounting flattens the canvas texture.  For this reason I prefer the good old wet Miracle Muck technique.  I have Muck mounted canvases more than 13 years old that are still perfectly attached to their Gator even at the edges.

FWIW dry drymount adhesive and wet glues like Muck are basically the same stuff.  You can roll a thick layer of Muck on some Gator, let it dry, then heat mount a canvas on top.

elolaugesen

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 02:11:32 am »

I agree that the heat mounting press flattens the canvas texture.....  not nice.    one of the reasons I have not used the heat press for canvas for some years.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up