Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon 500mm f/4 IS  (Read 7266 times)

edorm

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« on: March 15, 2008, 04:20:22 pm »

It's arrived and I feel like I should be sending out cigars. I've only had it out once so far, and had plenty of wind and snow. But I got a few shots of some Sandhill Cranes and found the lens to be just about as advertised - fantastic! Thanks for the advice and feedback from everyone who chimed in on my original post.  

framah

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:32:54 pm »

Man... 5K for a lens??

Are you the guy who said his wife was letting him buy this lens??

You seriously need to get her something nice for her birthday!!

Congrats, by the way!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:52:48 am »

what about posting some samples and 100% crops? or we are just to congratulate you for your new purchase?  

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »

Congratulations!

The more you use that lens, the more you will love it.  And it works really nicely with both the 1.4xII and 2xII converters.

I've used it hand-held several times and with care it's possible to get good shots that way, but my opinion is that there's nothing like a full Wimberly with this lens.  Wonderful combo.  I've also got a smaller tripod with ballhead that I use with a Sidekick and that works well also, but not as well as the Wimberly.  If I KNOW I'll be using that lens, I put it on its own tripod with Wimberly, otherwise I've got the smaller tripod with Sidekick.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

It's arrived and I feel like I should be sending out cigars. I've only had it out once so far, and had plenty of wind and snow. But I got a few shots of some Sandhill Cranes and found the lens to be just about as advertised - fantastic! Thanks for the advice and feedback from everyone who chimed in on my original post.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

walter.sk

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Congratulations!  I remember when I got mine.  That night I had a dream that I put it on the ground to change lenses and it rolled into the river!  I must have had real guilt feelings about the purchase.

I use the lens with a Gitzo 1325, the Gitzo leveling center post, an Arca Swiss B1 and the Sidekick.  It took me several heartpounding times when I mounted the Sidekick on the ballhead first and then struggled to side-mount the lens.  Duh!  Then I realized that it is much easier and safer to mount the Sidekick to the lens first, then just drop the other end of the Sidekick into the waiting ball head.  I considered getting the full Wimberly, but I already had the Sidekick.  It provides all of the range of motion and stability of the full Wimberly and I am very satisfied with it.  Even with the 1.4x or 2x extenders on, the lens balances perfectly.  It pans, tilts and rotates easily with what seems like no effort.

I mostly use the lens for shore birds such as egrets, herons, ospreys, etc.

Birds see the lens as an eye looking at them.  I had an osprey take off from her nest, circle to a great height and them dive bomb me, pulling up at the last minute.  

While others might disagree, I find the lens sharp enough so that many shots, even with the 2X on, are very good.  Even when they cme out slightly soft with the 2X, I use Focus Magic and have never had a problem making the prints look crisp.

Good luck with your 500.

John Camp

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:55:12 pm »

Are you in Wisconsin? I know a Sandhill gathering spot near Hayward, which is about a mile from my fishing cabin. Wonder if it's the same spot...?

Congrats on the lens, but could you actually afford to buy cigars after buying it?  

JC

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »

It sure is a wonderful lens, one of those lenses that makes you wonder how you ever took any photographs of anything before you had one!

It can be just about used hand-held but you will not want to hold it for long. I have just started to use a Jobu Design Black Widow Gimbal (Heavy Duty) head on top of my Manfrotto tripod. A terrific head, but I now want a slightly taller tripod to avoid stooping and back ache.

Enjoy the lens and get out there with it!
Pete Truman

Dave Gurtcheff

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:10:58 pm »

It sure is a wonderful lens, one of those lenses that makes you wonder how you ever took any photographs of anything before you had one!

It can be just about used hand-held but you will not want to hold it for long. I have just started to use a Jobu Design Black Widow Gimbal (Heavy Duty) head on top of my Manfrotto tripod. A terrific head, but I now want a slightly taller tripod to avoid stooping and back ache.

Enjoy the lens and get out there with it!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great lens. Here is a shot with the 2X extender. 20"x30" prints reveal the scales in the turtles shell.
Dave G, Beach Haven, NJ
[a href=\"http://www.modernpictorials.com/D109A%2072dpi%20.jpg]http://www.modernpictorials.com/D109A%2072dpi%20.jpg[/url]

edorm

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 06:44:08 pm »

Yup, and my wife's birthday is in May. I need to start thinking of something nice.

Man... 5K for a lens??

Are you the guy who said his wife was letting him buy this lens??

You seriously need to get her something nice for her birthday!!

Congrats, by the way!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edorm

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 06:47:45 pm »

I'll post a sample or two next week after I've had an opportunity to get out again. I've been out of town for a few days but I'm taking a couple of days off next week just to get out in the field.

what about posting some samples and 100% crops? or we are just to congratulate you for your new purchase? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edorm

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 06:57:30 pm »

I live in Klamath Falls, Oregon which is about 25 miles from the California border. They are in the general area for a couple of months to nest. There are 6 - 8 near some flooded wheat fields south of Klamath and 6 more about 30 miles into California. I can't afford any cigars just yet but maybe I could take a picture of a few.

Are you in Wisconsin? I know a Sandhill gathering spot near Hayward, which is about a mile from my fishing cabin. Wonder if it's the same spot...?

Congrats on the lens, but could you actually afford to buy cigars after buying it?   

JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorado David

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:21:06 pm »

Sandhill Cranes are in Kansas now and will be passing through Nebraska in the next two weeks.  There is a Nebraska State Park on the Platte river that has blinds you can reserve.  I'm sure by this late date they have all been spoken for.  Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira National Wildlife Refuge in Kansas are great places to photograph Sandhill Cranes.  These two places are also on the migration route for the Whooping Crane.  There are two permanent photo blinds at Quivira, one of which was funded by the NANPA Foundation.

There is a TSA agent at the airport in Klamath Falls that told me everything there was to know about all my camera equipment when he was hand checking my bags in August.

edorm

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 12:37:57 pm »

What brought you to Klamath Falls?

Sandhill Cranes are in Kansas now and will be passing through Nebraska in the next two weeks.  There is a Nebraska State Park on the Platte river that has blinds you can reserve.  I'm sure by this late date they have all been spoken for.  Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira National Wildlife Refuge in Kansas are great places to photograph Sandhill Cranes.  These two places are also on the migration route for the Whooping Crane.  There are two permanent photo blinds at Quivira, one of which was funded by the NANPA Foundation.

There is a TSA agent at the airport in Klamath Falls that told me everything there was to know about all my camera equipment when he was hand checking my bags in August.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorado David

New Canon 500mm f/4 IS
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 12:41:50 pm »

It was the closest airport to Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up