Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UV filters for Canon 5D  (Read 2098 times)

blansky

UV filters for Canon 5D
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:12:12 pm »

Since I started in photography I have always bought UV filters to protect the lens on every lens I've owned.

Recently while getting a new 77MM filter for my recently purchased 5D the sales guy produced one for $35, one for $49 and one for $105. I've usually bought fairly expensive ones in the past for my film cameras mainly because it seems worthwhile to put better glass in front of very good lenses.

He explained the $105 version was designed especially for digital with it's mirror type finish on the inside to stop glare from bouncing back from the sensor (or something like that).

Is this just hype or is there merit to this stuff.

Thanks,

Michael

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
UV filters for Canon 5D
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:28:41 pm »

"A mirror type finish" is going to cause rather than counteract flare surely?

As I understand, the "digital" filters have a different multicoating due to the disparity between a sensor and film.  There is a school of thought that using a digital "protector" filter rather than a UV filter is the way to go with digital - again due to differences between film and sensors.

All said though, I stopped using filters unless I'm somewhere nasty - modern coatings are very hard and hoods offer protection from scratches in 99% of circumstances.  Filters are an expensive way of reducing your optical quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up