Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using larger tanks to fill smaller ones.. 9180..  (Read 2509 times)

karrphoto

Using larger tanks to fill smaller ones.. 9180..
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:03:02 pm »

So, I noticed, the larger ink tanks for the HP Printers (70) cost on average 1/2 the price per ml as the HP38 cartridges for my 9180.

Has anyone purchased 70 cartridges and used a syringe to suck out the ink and fill 38 cartridges?   I guess the only problem with that is replacing the chip on the cartridge, which I've seen refill sets on Ebay that include them, so I know they exist.

I would not consider using a 3rd party ink, like found on EBay.. you don't know what those inks are.  But using a  genuine HP cart would save me a TON.  In the last 2 weeks I've purchased 16 cartridges.. I've been printing 12x30 album spreads like a mad man.   Even with HP's current Buy 2, get 1 50% off, it's still costing me a fortune.  If I did the HP 70 trick, I could hemorrhage a little less cash than I am now, as I really do not have the cash available to upgrade to a larger printer like the ipf5100, which is my next step I'm planning on.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:16:19 am »

As long as the re-chipper works then of course it will be good to go.
There is  multiple protection against air, frothing , other bad things that can happen in a cartridge in the 9180 carts that will prevent any bad things happening after refilling.

If you buy the Z carts buy them in the bi-pack. A lot cheaper.

Let us know if it works!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:47:53 pm »

As long as the re-chipper works then of course it will be good to go.
There is  multiple protection against air, frothing , other bad things that can happen in a cartridge in the 9180 carts that will prevent any bad things happening after refilling.

If you buy the Z carts buy them in the bi-pack. A lot cheaper.

Let us know if it works!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm curious about this too - and I might be wrong but aren't the color sets slightly different between the 9180a and the Z series?  I seem to remember the reds are different at least....
Rolleiflex USA

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:30:29 pm »

There is no Cyan in the Z3100, but the Z2100 has the same inkset. Of course the 3100 has another grey, rgb + GE hence different heads for these primaries.

Color maps change the way the inks are laid down, including gamut , density. The 9180 has a much different color map than the Z printers albeit they run the same inks and heads.

karrphoto

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 12:10:12 am »

Yeah, obviously there are some color differences, like the Z series also has RGB as colors that the 9180 doesn't.  However, at $.38/ml (twin pack)  vs $1.22...   A dual pack will load me up 9.6 times.. that's $317 worth of 9180 ink for $100 plus the cost of the chips, syringes and plugs.  The nice thing is, the 9180 carts have the little rubber stopper on them so you can pressurize them, no special tools needed.  And draining additional air, etc. has been covered on some instructions I've found online, although, if the cart is empty and you bleed the syringe of air, I don't see how you would introduce air into the cartridge anyway.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 03:29:29 pm »

Where did you find instructions for refilling these things.  At that per ML cost I might be willing to give it a shot.

drwillie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

Yeah, obviously there are some color differences, like the Z series also has RGB as colors that the 9180 doesn't.  However, at $.38/ml (twin pack)  vs $1.22...   A dual pack will load me up 9.6 times.. that's $317 worth of 9180 ink for $100 plus the cost of the chips, syringes and plugs.  The nice thing is, the 9180 carts have the little rubber stopper on them so you can pressurize them, no special tools needed.  And draining additional air, etc. has been covered on some instructions I've found online, although, if the cart is empty and you bleed the syringe of air, I don't see how you would introduce air into the cartridge anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I, too, am interested in learning how to do this.  Please share the info you have with all who have the B9180.  I love the printer and its output, but the ink cost is a major concern for me, also.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up