Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member with photo for critique  (Read 3074 times)

mnoble

New Member with photo for critique
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:53:48 am »

I started my own business last year. At 60, I thought that it was time to follow my life-long love for photography. I believe that constructive criticism can be beneficial and help you to see through other's eyes. Art is subjective and everyone has their own opinions, but, generally, I find feedback to be informative.

I post on pBase regularly. I hope that putting a URL for the particular image is OK.

Here it is. http://www.pbase.com/mnoble/image/93498631/medium

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mike  

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:41:13 am »

I started my own business last year. At 60, I thought that it was time to follow my life-long love for photography. I believe that constructive criticism can be beneficial and help you to see through other's eyes. Art is subjective and everyone has their own opinions, but, generally, I find feedback to be informative.

I post on pBase regularly. I hope that putting a URL for the particular image is OK.

Here it is. http://www.pbase.com/mnoble/image/93498631/medium

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mike   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome to the forums.

The image you presented is certainly well done technically, and is an interesting graphic, almost abstract presentation of a weapon, with a study of textures, shades of light and shapes.  But it is this presentation that makes me question the placement of the gun in such a way that the text, which is sharply focused and clear, is unreadable unless one twists his/her head to see it.

Sharply delineated text becomes a central focus for the eye.  By placing it where you have it becomes a major distraction from the apparent emphasis on graphics and textures.  On the other hand, were the gun placed so that the text were easily read it would probably recede in importance and detract less from what your main statement seems to be, in my opinion, at least.

On the other hand you may have had a different concept in your presentation but it then eluded me.

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:01 pm »

Photoshop out the words on the gun and you have yourself an interesting photo. Of course, that would be cheating. And a serious artist would never EVER do that...  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:46:22 pm by popnfresh »

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:59 am »

Excellent photo. Shows example of serious craftsmanship, which is very appealing to purveyors of fine photo equipment. My only recommendation would be to soften the glare spots a little with a white reflector.
Pages: [1]   Go Up