Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Man's Fascination with Landscapes  (Read 26828 times)

Isaac

Re: Man's Fascination with Landscapes
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 01:41:46 pm »

I'm not very good at grammar, but wouldn't your own feelings be expressed first-person?

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 01:42:10 pm »

Is this aimed at me?

I was mocking myself (for some carry-over from "Ignacio Palacio - Image Manipulation").

AreBee

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:10 pm »

Isaac,

Ignacio Palacio - Image Manipulation

A thread with thoughtful, eloquently written posts.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »

Take your best looking or favorite landscape photo and place it next to the photo of Earth seen as a blue dot amongst the backdrop of an infinitely vast uninhabitable dark universe shot by NASA's Cassini space probe's flyby of Saturn and ask yourself how can a heavenly body that tiny have so much beauty.

And then know that ONLY humans could provide that level of perspective in a comparatively evolutionary short period of time. Is it REALLY all about ego or is it about the question that gnaws at all our souls asking just who, what and why we're here on this tiny blue dot.

Outer space smells like burning metal according to this interview I saw last Friday...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-astronaut-scott-kelly-on-life-aboard-the-space-station/

Landscapes remind all of us we're the most blessed and luckiest living and breathing human carbon forms in the universe.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »

The space station smells like...

Landscapes remind us that there might be something beyond the urban agglomeration.

Isaac, on the Friday TV interview Scott Kelly describes the smell during opening of the space station bay doors to receive supplies where there is a brief exchange of outer space atmosphere and space station air of having the smell of burnt metal after Scott Pelley asked about the smell of the space station. IOW not a pleasant environment to live, a point I've gathered you missed in my initial post.

Could you possibly temper your obtuse observations toward folk's comments here who clearly appear to have invested a little more time and thought to pen something of meaning over your one liner comebacks? I mean you really don't know how to read a room or it could be my English that is confusing you.

Colorado David

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »

A sudden flurry of activity after seven years.  Interesting.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »

The pressurized supply ship smells like...

"The principal environmental characteristic of outer space is the vacuum, or nearly total absence of gas molecules … In space, the pressure is nearly zero. With virtually no pressure from the outside, air inside an unprotected human's lungs would immediately rush out in the vacuum of space."

There are dust particles in space that are comprised of metals, rock and pick any other periodic element that gets burned by radiation and heat from the sun that can enter the space station cabin. That's got to smell pretty bad.

Ever accidentally burn dust within the electrical heater element of a hair dryer or furnace?  It's not a pleasant smell depending on the type of dust accumulated like dust mite shit, skin particles, pollen, etc, etc.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »

I remember seeing a very moving Japanese movie a few years ago. The movie is about Alzeimer disease. It starts and ends with a beautiful sunset scene captured from within the house of the man suffering from Alzeimer.

The house is located in the Japanese countryside, away from the busy life in Tokyo. The man is alone with his wife and the landscape acts as a reference points for their fleeting life, its grandeur somehow enables them, his wife in particular, to make sense from an impossible situation when their very existence, through the memories that they built together, is threatened to vanish.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:13:16 am by BernardLanguillier »

Isaac

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:51 pm »

Beyond that special case, not all people even share the feeling some of us have for the natural landscape.

Incidentally, Chapter 10 "The Psychology of the Compelling Landscape" (in "The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography") has a short discussion of people's physiological responses when shown landscape images -- some have a physiological response and some don't.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:19 pm »

Incidentally, Chapter 10 "The Psychology of the Compelling Landscape" (in "The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography") has a short discussion of people's physiological responses when shown landscape images -- some have a physiological response and some don't.

Just that short passage from the book already tells me it's mostly comprised of a lot of unscientific intellectual sounding verbal padding and filler especially for a book on landscape photography. I'ld rather just look at the pictures.

I was hoping the discussion revealed that some feel an emotional response (not physiological) when shown a landscape and some don't. Some things in this world just can't be explained or put to words but leave it to hardline scientists to find a way to ruin it for everyone by explaining it to death.

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:43 pm »

Just that short passage from the book…

The passage I referred to has not been shown on Google book preview any time I've looked.

I was hoping the discussion revealed that some feel an emotional response (not physiological) when shown a landscape and some don't.

A strange hope given I wrote "a short discussion of people's physiological responses".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 08:14:27 am »

I was hoping the discussion revealed that some feel an emotional response (not physiological) when shown a landscape and some don't. Some things in this world just can't be explained or put to words but leave it to hardline scientists to find a way to ruin it for everyone by explaining it to death.

It doesn't seem entirely surprising to me that looking on scenes of nature appeals to us. We evolved on the savannah looking at them, so maybe they feel like "home" to us. I know that some therapists use walks in the woods as part of their work with some patients. The exposure to nature (even in a man-made park) has the effect of lessening their stress and anxiety.
--
Robert

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:56 am »

Would it be surprising to you that looking on scenes of nature doesn't appeal to other people?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »

No, I've met a few. There's a lot of variation in humans.
--
Robert

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 03:40:18 pm »

The passage I referred to has not been shown on Google book preview any time I've looked.

A strange hope given I wrote "a short discussion of people's physiological responses".

The screenshot below shows what I read from your posted link, Issac.

I had to assume that was the "short discussion of people's physiological responses" you were referring.

As for how I feel when I go out in the woods and view landscapes is primarily affected by the need for fresh air which of course science indicates has an elevated amount of oxygen from plant life compared to living in paved urban areas with very few trees. I have no thoughts or feelings of wanting to return to the primitive life of my ancient ancestors that's for sure.

Shooting landscapes for me is much like writing a love letter or poem to life on Earth in general for all to appreciate including myself. At least for me it's more spiritual than what religion used to provide in the past when I was a child.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:44:31 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

Isaac

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 04:17:26 pm »

The screenshot below shows what I read from your posted link, Issac.

And that is not the passage I referred to - it does not discuss people's physiological responses.

AreBee

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:02 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:57:01 am by Rob B. »

TomFrerichs

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 10:11:55 pm »

Am I brave enough to admit that landscapes, either real, as a painting or photograph, don't really excite me?

Not on a site named Luminous Landscape I'm not!

Tom

Ray

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 07:35:46 am »

That seems quite an insightful book, Isaac. Thanks for the link.

I don't agree with Tim Lookingbill's opinion, when he responded:  "Just that short passage from the book already tells me it's mostly comprised of a lot of unscientific intellectual sounding verbal padding and filler especially for a book on landscape photography. I'd rather just look at the pictures. "

It seems pretty obvious and undeniable to me that we are a product of our landscape. We could never have evolved into human beings without the interaction over millions of years with our landscape. We are totally dependent upon our landscape. We cannot exist without it. However, the landscape can exist just fine without us.

In fact, there's a case to be made that without our presence, the landscape would be better (ie. healthier and more vigorous). We're gradually ruining the environment (landscape) with noxious pollutants, deforestation, and farming practices which tend to diminish the quantity of natural nutrients in the soil as well as the amount of carbon and the degree of soil biodiversity.

Of course, we are now so clever we can create our own artificial environments, such as concrete jungles (cities), and space stations. Perhaps in the future we'll eventually be able to colonize Mars and create massive greenhouses to live in.

I suspect anyone who is out-of-touch with that deep emotional connection or heritage with the landscape, is emotionally in trouble.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 04:59:28 pm »

That seems quite an insightful book, Isaac. Thanks for the link.

I don't agree with Tim Lookingbill's opinion, when he responded:  "Just that short passage from the book already tells me it's mostly comprised of a lot of unscientific intellectual sounding verbal padding and filler especially for a book on landscape photography. I'd rather just look at the pictures. "

It seems pretty obvious and undeniable to me that we are a product of our landscape. We could never have evolved into human beings without the interaction over millions of years with our landscape. We are totally dependent upon our landscape. We cannot exist without it. However, the landscape can exist just fine without us.

In fact, there's a case to be made that without our presence, the landscape would be better (ie. healthier and more vigorous). We're gradually ruining the environment (landscape) with noxious pollutants, deforestation, and farming practices which tend to diminish the quantity of natural nutrients in the soil as well as the amount of carbon and the degree of soil biodiversity.

Of course, we are now so clever we can create our own artificial environments, such as concrete jungles (cities), and space stations. Perhaps in the future we'll eventually be able to colonize Mars and create massive greenhouses to live in.

I suspect anyone who is out-of-touch with that deep emotional connection or heritage with the landscape, is emotionally in trouble.  ;)

I think you are right, but I wouldn't say that required an interest in photographing it. At least, not beyond the personal souvenir level. The buzz is in being in it, and whenever one can manage that, especially if a city dweller, it can recharge the batteries. But even there, I think it's the change in landscape that counts: I loved driving up and down France, especially the Dordogne, but in the end, it wasn't that different from Perthshire, where I inevitably ended up for most of the time back in the UK. I didn't enjoy Perthshire much; Mallorca is just as beautiful, in a different nway, but then I hardly see it anymore after all these years.

I suppose that's why people are often unfaithful: nothing wrong with where they are, just lookin' for something different.

Rob

P.S.

Just watched a great programme on BBC4 about Scandinavian art. Yet again I came to the subconscious, and then very conscious conclusion that cinematographers have a better understanding of landscape than do stills shooters. Yet later, I realised the advantage they hold: the abilty to slide seamlessly from one shot of the subject to an immediate other one of the same thing seen, as an example, through a net curtain, in a single, unbroken movement which carries memory of the first glimpse along with it. Stills can't compete with that, and a diptych ain't the same, no way.

Also, the cinematographer's use of longer lenses gives a look far more interesting than seems the stills man's norm.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:20:51 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up