Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man's Fascination with Landscapes  (Read 26840 times)

Ray

Re: Man's Fascination with Landscapes
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »

I think you are right, but I wouldn't say that required an interest in photographing it.

Of course not! For most people, photographing a landscape is incidental. The main subject is always themselves, or their partner, friend or family member, or their face juxtapositioned next to someone famous. Never mind if a face obscures an interesting part of the background, or spoils the composition. Ego and vanity trump everything. Slobodan knows this.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »

Of course not! For most people, photographing a landscape is incidental. The main subject is always themselves, or their partner, friend or family member, or their face juxtapositioned next to someone famous. Never mind if a face obscures an interesting part of the background, or spoils the composition. Ego and vanity trump everything. Slobodan knows this.  ;)

But what of the mind seeking, in photography, that elusive thing called truth, or perhaps, essence?

I believe that only when you can get to the point of losing conscious self a little bit, can you get to the place where the thing you seek allows itself to be seen. Perhaps that's why some people thought/hoped hallucinogenic substances could offer a key.

With people pictures, I know it's the province of the muse. There, there is very little of self and very much a lot of what our mental fusion can be. As has sometimes been remarked, it's even better than sex, and all your babies can be beautiful.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:02 pm »

...Ego and vanity trump everything. Slobodan knows this.  ;)

Huh!?  ???

Ray

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:34 pm »

Huh!?  ???

Oh! I am sorry. I didn't realise you didn't know that. Perhaps I've mischaracterised you.  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:55 pm »

I am flattered that my character occupies such an important part of your mental efforts. By all means let me know, in no uncertain terms, your final diagnosis. So far your findings are too subtle for me to get.

Ray

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:26 am »

I am flattered that my character occupies such an important part of your mental efforts. By all means let me know, in no uncertain terms, your final diagnosis. So far your findings are too subtle for me to get.

C'mon now, Slobodan. Your photo of 'Mannequins' in the critique section is a blatant display of ego and vanity. You seem proud of it, and also claim that you have achieved some degree of wealth and fame as a result of the publication of that photo.

Surely it's clear that it doesn't require much mental effort to deduce that you are aware of the great appeal of 'appearance and fashion' and their association with ego and vanity.

Whether or not ego and vanity literally trump all, is debatable of course. Freud seemed to think that the 'sex drive' was the ultimate, motivating force behind all pleasurable activity.  ;)

However, Freud is now out-of-fashion.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 03:04:07 am »

I saw the start of the title and supposed it was going to be "Man's fascination with women." Freud didn't get everything wrong. Landscapes mostly do little for me, and my favourite Ansel Adams is of Georgia O'Keefe.

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 05:09:19 am »

I saw the start of the title and supposed it was going to be "Man's fascination with women." Freud didn't get everything wrong. Landscapes mostly do little for me, and my favourite Ansel Adams is of Georgia O'Keefe.

Ay-men (or, better yet, Ay-women!)

Rob
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up