Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: nikon D300 approach to noise v canon  (Read 11820 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
nikon D300 approach to noise v canon
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 05:20:56 pm »

How does the user regain fine chroma detail filtered or desaturated by the converter?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phil's opinion is that Canon's noise reduction does more damage on luminance, he seems to think that this is more a problem than the loss of some color information.

I have personnally no opinion on this topic, I am just conveying his.

Regards,
Bernard

Ray

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »

Thanks Ray, I downloaded it and am experimenting with it. It needs +4 EV, which makes it a pseudo-equivalent of ISO 51200.

ACR shows everything orangy with "as shot". Where would you pick WB? Or, if you adjust it as you remember to have seen it, what is the temperature and tint in ACR?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gabor,
The temple is a definite white (in daylight) and is merely reflecting the temperature(s) of the street lighting. An auto WB seems to produce the best results in my opinion, as shown in my screen capture of the ACR window, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

My calculation of ISO 64,000 is based upon dpreview's assessment that ISO 3200 on the 5D is actually ISO 4000. One also should allow something for the fact that a full ETTR generally does not appear in the histogram as 0 EV after EV adjustment has been made.

Ray

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 05:35:13 am »

Gabor,
Here's another 5D shot taken directly opposite the temple on the other side of the road. This shot is more or less correcly exposed at ISO 3200 (4000). The 'as shot' WB seems best for this shot even though the character of the artificial lighting is similar.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/www/a0YycXl1YSs3bURIRGc9PQ

[attachment=5632:attachment]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up