Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Bend Locations  (Read 3610 times)

abrehm

Big Bend Locations
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:57 am »

I am planning a trip to Big Bend next weekend and was looking for good locations to shoot.  I figure a sunrise shoot of Santa Elena Canyon would be good and maybe some view from the south rim but I dont know of any location in particular.  

I will be there for 3 days so I have several sunrise/sunset opportunities to play with.  I imagine there are numerous places to get good shots of the Chisos but I was hoping someone had specific vantage points that are good.  

Thanks,
andy

degrub

Big Bend Locations
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:12:30 am »

DO you have 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle? Any high desert experience ?

If so you can use some of the dirt "roads" to get to the angles you want around the SE and  S rims of the basin from the east side off the main park rd to Boquillas canyon near Dugout wells. Juniper canyon is decent this time of year in the morning. Elephant tusk in the morning from around GLenn springs camp. Make sure you have a USGS topo map and know how to use a lensatic compass. or have a gps    with the topo. Be sure and talk to the rangers about specific off road conditions and let them know exactly where you plan to be and when to come looking for you. And carry an extra gallon of water in your backpack  in case you have to walk out. DOn't count on good cell service unless things have changed since i was last out there in the 90's. THe rangers can tell you if you call the station as to what carrier might work best.

Other wise best to stay on the paved roads. The hike from the basin up the lost mine trail has some nice views depending on the weather  - and it is a short hike. Pray for north winds to clear the air.

If you are a stout hiker in excellent shape you can round trip to the S rim in less than a full day with a small pack. The right hand trail is a little easier going up, but you want the left hand trail up if you want the morning sun for Juniper canyon trail and can start before first light.

THere are some classic shots from the basin  - the window, Casa grande in the evening,

Burro mesa pour-off has some nice shots as well, but it is a hike. The trail over to Mule ears sw of blue creek ranch house (now Homer Wilson) off the main rd can get some decent shots of the SW rim.

At the Homer Wilson, you can pick up the Dodson trail east, go over the first major climb  and there can be some nice shots E/W along the S rim.

If you are lucky -  cactus blossoms, depending on the rain this winter.

THere are almost always deer, javalina, etc in the basin by the camp in the evening making the rounds. Roadrunners should be out pretty much anywhere.

abrehm

Big Bend Locations
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:34 am »

yeah, i will have a high clearance 4wd vehicle and used to live in utah so i should be in good shape.   i would like to get off the beaten path a bit and get some unique images, but i would also like to see some of the classic shots, i just dont know what those are!

thanks for your input, you have helped out a lot.  now i have something to go off of.

andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up