Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 and digital back  (Read 14302 times)

evgeny

Contax 645 and digital back
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:18:52 am »

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum to ask.
I recently bought a Contax 645 system and have two questions:

1. Please recommend a bag for Contax 645 with 140mm/Hood and Grip *attached*.

2. Please teach me how to select a digital back for Contax 645. Most digital backs on eBay are for the Hasselblad H1/H2/V. If I buy such a back, how to attach it to Contax 645?

3. Is there on eBay any good 16-22Mpix digital back for under $5K?

Thank.
Evgeny

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:45:37 am »

You need to use either:

- a Sinar back with a Contax adapter
- a Hasselblad back with a Contax adapter
- a Leaf back in Contax mount
- a Phase One back in Contax mount

There are many options.

Your budget of $5K seems unrealistic. You should be able to find something on a budget of $10K unless perhaps you are interested in a square format 16MP sensor like the P20. I have no idea what they are going for these days but you might be in luck.

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:48:48 am »

Every now and then, there will be a Kodak Proback645 in Contax mount on eBay which fetches around $5K.
Guillermo

evgeny

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:55:19 am »

Thanks for replies!

4. I heard that there is a Kodak Pro back 645 and Kodak Pro back 645 Plus*.
What is the difference?

5. What provides better quality of image: the Kodak Pro back or Astia/Velvia scanned on Nikon 9000 ?

Thanks

BJNY

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:29 am »

There was a ProBack Plus in Hasselblad V-mount,
but I don't think there ever was a Plus version of the 645M or 645C.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...kodak-dcs.shtml
Guillermo

JDG

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33:30 am »

1... best bet is to go to a store and test some out yourself, I myself have always liked the Tenba P695.

2.  You need a back with a Contax mount.  Phase One and Leaf both make dedicated Contax mounts, Hasselblad (imacon) and Sinar make changeable adapters that will mount to Contax.  My preference would be the fixed mount as the interchangeable ones have a greater chance of getting a little squirrelly with the focus.

3. If there are, I'll take 3 because thats waaaay under value.  Your best option is to see a dealer about a refurb unit (plus then you get a warranty, and digital back repairs can be quite pricey!)

evgeny

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:07:06 am »

Thank for answer!

1. What do you think about Tenba P859 Metro Pak II Shoulder Bag ? Is it big enough for Contax/140mm/Hood/Grip ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3405...tro_Pak_II.html

What do you think about Domke F-1x
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1597...Bag_Black_.html

I look at these bags because they are twise lighter than Tenba P695.

2. Well, I understand that I need to get a digital back ready for Contax and not adapt other backs to avoid problems with focus. True?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:07:45 am by evgeny »

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:20:03 am »

I have a Kodak ProBack 645C for sale.

I sell it because I upgraded to Sinar eMotion 75lv with Contax adapter.
Perfect focus with this adapter system!

Tomas
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:26:37 am by Tomas »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:22:05 am »

Dear JDG,

I have to intervene here and contradict this claim: at least Sinar's adapters are high precision tooled adapters and I can guaranty you that there is not focus problem, IF the body used is within its own mechanical tolerances (mirror mechanism especially).

Best regards,
Thierry

My preference would be the fixed mount as the interchangeable ones have a greater chance of getting a little squirrelly with the focus.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 11:24:55 am »

evgeny,
I think you're best served going to a store to look at your bag/case options.
Perhaps you'll want something that can accommodate another lens or two down the road, or your laptop.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:26:05 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

thsinar

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:26:19 am »

Dear evgeny,

Absolutely untrue, definitively! No matter what you eventually will buy, but this is a false claim, that backs with adapter plates are leading to focus problems.

See my previous post.

best regards,
Thierry

2. Well, I understand that I need to get a digital back ready for Contax and not adapt other backs to avoid problems with focus. True?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:26:42 am »

evgeny, I think maybe it should be pointed out that when foto-z wrote, "Contax adapter", what he is referring to is the fact that Hasselblad CF backs and Sinarbacks as well as the older Imacon/Hasselblad Ixpress range make use of removeable adapter plates in order to attach the back to different types of camera. This is different from those backs that must be ordered with the appropriate mount in the first place. In principle, Hasselblad CF, Imacon/Hasselblad Ixpress and Sinarback digital back owners could have multiple adapter plates in their possession and change the adapter plate depending on which camera you want to use it with. In practice, you might not want to do this too often...

Regarding focus error - sometimes there could be a little focus error, but the documentation indicates how you detect and measure it and they provide or can provide a focus shim kit which allows you to adjust the focus alignment yourself. I can't speak for the other backs, but I know with my Ixpress back, all it takes is to use the supplied screwdriver, no other tools needed.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 11:28:41 am »

My preference would be the fixed mount as the interchangeable ones have a greater chance of getting a little squirrelly with the focus.

This just doesn't happen, plus the adapter system gives you freedom to use the same back on other platforms.

The Kodak backs might be cheap but do your research carefully. There are reasons why.

thsinar

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:53 am »

Dear shutay,

in this case, the focus error comes most surely from the camera itself, not from the adapter plate. And as a consequence, backs with dedicated mount are affected as well.

Best regards,
Thierry

Regarding focus error - sometimes there could be a little focus error, but the documentation indicates how you detect and measure it and they provide or can provide a focus shim kit which allows you to adjust the focus alignment yourself. I can't speak for the other backs, but I know with my Ixpress back, all it takes is to use the supplied screwdriver, no other tools needed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180861\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 11:39:27 am »

Dear shutay,

in this case, the focus error comes most surely from the camera itself, not from the adapter plate. And as a consequence, backs with dedicated mount are affected as well.

Best regards,
Thierry

Indeed, sorry if I didn't write clearly enough. But you guys are fast to reply or I am a slow typist - when I hit reply, there were only 7 replies, but by the time I posted my reply, my post was #12!

Yes, I was told that it was due to the film era bodies not having been made to sufficiently accurate tolerances in those days compared with what is required from digital nowadays.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 11:50:11 am »

I use bodies/backs with adapter plates. It has happened only once to me that I needed to shim a back. It is pointless to claim whether that is due to the body or the adapter since the result is the same. focus error.

A shim can easily fix that or even loosening/tightening the screws of the adapter can help. It might seem disconcerting in the beginning but after a while you don't really care anymore and get it right fairly quickly.

I totally love the concept of adapters and hope Hasselblad will continue to support it.

If the body is out of spec theoretically you will experience the same problem with a fixed mount back (have never had it), at least with an adapter you will have the opportunity to tweak it yourself.

Anyway don't let it refrain you from getting a system with interchangeable adapter plates.

evgeny

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:58 am »

Ok, I see

Now look at these backs on eBay, the link is below. Please list here which backs can I use with my Contax 645 and when I need to buy an adapter or whatever else?
Thanks a lot!

http://shop.ebay.com/items/digital-back_W0...RK:MEFSRCH:SRCH

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »

AFAIK,

You can use the Kodak back stated for the Contax (though I would not opt for the Kodak).
You can use the Imacon with the right Ixpress adapter.
You can use the Sinar with the right adapter.
You can use the Jenoptik Eyelike with the right adapter.

Basically you can use any fixed mount back that has the mount for the Contax. You can use the Jenoptik/Sinar backs with the Contax adapter or use the Imacon Ixpress/Hasselblad CF backs with the Contax Ixpress adapter.

evgeny

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 06:38:13 pm »

Thanks!

thsinar

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 04:44:09 am »

Indeed, sorry if I didn't write clearly enough. But you guys are fast to reply or I am a slow typist - when I hit reply, there were only 7 replies, but by the time I posted my reply, my post was #12!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up