Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protecting ultra-wide lens front surface?  (Read 2831 times)

nsecomb

Protecting ultra-wide lens front surface?
« on: March 11, 2008, 09:58:45 pm »

I've been reading a review on the Canon 14mm 2.8L II, and one of the features (shared by quite a few ultra wides apparently) is that the bulbous front element makes fitting a filter on the front impractical, and they use drop-in gelatin filters at the rear.

I don't expect to be buying such a lens, but I am curious - how do folks with these lens' protect the front element (and its outward coatings) from dust, debris, and micro-scratches?

regards,

Nigel

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:52 pm »

Same way you protect any lens.  Lens hood and cap when not in use.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:21:18 pm by DarkPenguin »

nsecomb

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:24 am »

Same way you protect any lens.  Lens hood and cap when not in use.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps you could expand on that answer a bit for those that don't own such a lens, given that:
a) the lens hood (or at least the one I saw on the Canon lens) had an uneven shape, so putting a cap on the end of it would leave large gaps at the sides between the cap and the lens; and
 the lens won't take a normal lens cap.

ternst

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:22:04 am »

These lenses normally have a special lens cap that will cover the entire area you are concerned about. The one on my 28mm Mamiya 645 lens for example is about three inches deep and goes all the way back over the main lens body. Also the lens hood is often a part of the lens and does not come off, which can make cleaning the lens around the edges a little tight...

nsecomb

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:43:25 am »

Much appreciated ternst, that was the kind of informed and helpful reply that I was seeking.

regards,

Nigel
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:44:08 am by nsecomb »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:30:58 am »

Perhaps you could expand on that answer a bit for those that don't own such a lens, given that:
a) the lens hood (or at least the one I saw on the Canon lens) had an uneven shape, so putting a cap on the end of it would leave large gaps at the sides between the cap and the lens; and
 the lens won't take a normal lens cap.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What ternst said.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:34:04 pm »

This is one reason I found a nikon D200/D80 a constant stress to use because I was freaking about the front element of my 14mm

(I didnt get any DX lenses cos I new the D3 was on its way) - use the 14/28 nikkor

Now im back with my trusty 20-35 on the D3 with the 14 carefully stowed away and brought out only for the odd interior

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up