Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Extended and RAW 431 update problem  (Read 7236 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
CS3 Extended and RAW 431 update problem
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:24:21 am »

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
CS3 10 Extended

I manually installed the new RAW 431 update per instructions:

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Photoshop CS3:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

I might add too that in Vista 64 Ultimate OEM version the file location above is INCORRECT. In fact, the location doesn't exist.

The file is located in:
Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

I re-downloaded the file twice to make sure it wasn't corrupted and checked the file size on both versions, which was identical.

When I try to open any raw file, even those converted using the new DNG converter, I get the message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

Reinstalling Camera Raw 4.0 that shipped with CS3 solves the problem.

I've purged every cache Adobe and Bridge has with no solution.

[BTW, before I installed the 431 version of "Camera Raw.8bi" I renamed the original version "Camera Raw.8bi.BAK" and left it in the same directory. I reversed this method when going back to the original 4.0 version.]

Thanks for those who help.

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:44:00 am »

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
CS3 10 Extended
[BTW, before I installed the 431 version of "Camera Raw.8bi" I renamed the original version "Camera Raw.8bi.BAK" and left it in the same directory. I reversed this method when going back to the original 4.0 version.]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't know about Vista, but at least through XP Pro you cannot use two dots in a file name, and maybe that had something to do with your problem.  Through all of my updates of ACR including the latest, I put the old Camera Raw.8bl into a folder called OldACR, in the Adobe CS3 folder.  I renamed my old ACR files Camera Raw.xxx, where xxx is the version number.  I have never had a problem.

dwdallam

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »

I don't know about Vista, but at least through XP Pro you cannot use two dots in a file name, and maybe that had something to do with your problem.  Through all of my updates of ACR including the latest, I put the old Camera Raw.8bl into a folder called OldACR, in the Adobe CS3 folder.  I renamed my old ACR files Camera Raw.xxx, where xxx is the version number.  I have never had a problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is nothing wrong with using dots in file names, as long as the extension is preceded by a dot, such as .exe, .dng, etc. and nothng comes after it.

Using .Bak as a file extension is a way of telling Windows to ignore it, since neither Windows nor Window's programs identify the .BAK extension with any working file extension.

So Photoshop.exe.BAK becomes a file that is ignored in the Windows OSs.

I have no idea why you thought you can't use two dots in a file name. Works for me.

Have you ever seen something like Open office, which has it's version in teh file name of it's exe file, such as OOo_2.3.1_install.exe
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:23:07 pm by dwdallam »

Ray

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:19:05 am »

There is nothing wrong with using dots in file names, as long as the extension is preceded by a dot, such as .exe, .dng, etc. and nothng comes after it.

Using .Bak as a file extension is a way of telling Windows to ignore it, since neither Windows nor Window's programs identify the .BAK extension with any working file extension.

So Photoshop.exe.BAK becomes a file that is ignored in the Windows OSs.

I have no idea why you thought you can't use two dots in a file name. Works for me.

Have you ever seen something like Open office, which has it's version in teh file name of it's exe file, such as OOo_2.3.1_install.exe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is interesting. I've got into trouble a few times unwittingly naming tif files with a dot in the title, like, '5D 105mm F5.6 ISO 400'. The file usually then won't open. The file format also looks different. I have to rename it '5D 105mm F5_6 ISO 400' before I can open it in PS.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:42 pm »

Two dots like .. can cause problems, but certain file types have two dots in them to work correctly such as movie.mpg.001, movie.mpg.002 for a movie that has been split into parts and needs rejoining after you have sent the various parts separately by email for instance.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dwdallam

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 02:09:08 am »

This is interesting. I've got into trouble a few times unwittingly naming tif files with a dot in the title, like, '5D 105mm F5.6 ISO 400'. The file usually then won't open. The file format also looks different. I have to rename it '5D 105mm F5_6 ISO 400' before I can open it in PS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You rpobably ahve some software that sees that file name as it's own and tries to open it using some obscure script fr something, which then doesn't open. You shuld ahve no problem with dots, even double dots like:

iamge.................jpg

Ray

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:51:45 am »

You rpobably ahve some software that sees that file name as it's own and tries to open it using some obscure script fr something, which then doesn't open. You shuld ahve no problem with dots, even double dots like:

iamge.................jpg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It happens on all my computers. I've tried it a few times, although I've got some vague memory that once or twice it didn't happen, but can't remember the circumstances.

dwdallam

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 06:34:41 pm »

It happens on all my computers. I've tried it a few times, although I've got some vague memory that once or twice it didn't happen, but can't remember the circumstances.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may have the same software loaded on all of your machines. You will need to get on MS forums or some other tech forums to locate and solve that problem. You could try Googling it too.

Ray

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:19:38 pm »

You may have the same software loaded on all of your machines. You will need to get on MS forums or some other tech forums to locate and solve that problem. You could try Googling it too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm always a bit reluctant to spend too much time on niggling problems that can easily be worked around. I just assumed this characteristic was a common problem. It seems to be a problem on all my Win XP machines including my latest Win XP 64 bit computer.

However, I wondered where and when I never had such a problem. So out of curiosity, I booted up an old Win 2000 computer that still has a running copy of CS2 installed and found no such problem with file names such as "5D F5.6 ISO 400.tif".

I've also found on this Win 64 bit computer with CS3E installed, that there's no problem opening a file with a name like "5D F5_6 ISO 400.........tif", so the problem seems confined to the presence of an earlier dot followed by a string of characters.

However, I've learned something from this exercise. The problem doesn't exist with psd or jpeg files. I'm in the habit of saving my work in tif because I figured that's a more universal format than psd.

Meisterman

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:18 am »

Try this to add the 4.3.1 update.
Open CS3
Click on help tab then to updates. This will automatically download the updates into the program. If you get and error while the camera raw update is downloading then just close your CS3 and it will finish with the update and you are ready to go.

dwdallam

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:18 am »

Try this to add the 4.3.1 update.
Open CS3
Click on help tab then to updates. This will automatically download the updates into the program. If you get and error while the camera raw update is downloading then just close your CS3 and it will finish with the update and you are ready to go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't do automatic updates for any programs I have, including windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up