Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe pricing in US vs. Europe  (Read 27347 times)

Ray

Adobe pricing in US vs. Europe
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 09:38:59 pm »

QUOTE(Ray @ Mar 15 2008, 03:51 AM)
You might be right. If there's no contractual agreement for US retailers not to export Photoshop to whomever makes an order through the internet, then Futt Futt does not have a leg to stand on. Slobodan is right. Shop around for the best price. You've only yourself to blame for paying more than you have to.

Duh! Don't you think I would have tried that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181989\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would surmise that you didn't try hard enough, just as I didn't try hard enough when I was thinking twice about the extra cost of an upgrade to CS3E.

America is all about business. They are the experts. I find it difficult to believe, if there is no contractual agreement with Adobe not to sell to overseas customer, that there will not be a number of shrewd Americal software retailers who will grab the opportunity to sell complete or partial Adobe suites to U.K and French customers.

The reason I didn't persevere is because I quickly assumed that there would be such a contractual agreement. If it's true that there isn't, it's a bit puzzling why it's so difficult to locate American retailers of Adobe products who sell to overseas customers.

mfunnell

• http://
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 09:43:45 pm »

which is under the $500 threshold beyond which GST applies.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, I think you'll find you're better off than you think: courtesy of the FTA, I belive the threshold for goods from the US is now AUD$1,000

As to the rest of this discussion - I've found it rather amusing. My impression, after much experience working for US companies (here, in the US and elsewhere) is that American companies charge foreigners more simply because they are foreign.  "Foreign countries don't exist - and to the extent they do, they shouldn't."  Rather a touch of "imperial" arrogance. Which is why its funny seeing that approach being complained about by a Pom.  The English in particular and the British more generally had exactly the same attitude back when Brittania ruled the waves.  I'm (barely) old enough to remember them still trying the attitude, long after the waves were ruled by others.

Fair turn-about, mate!  

...Mike
Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.

Day-to-day photos on [span style='color:quot']flick[/span][span style='color:quot']r[/span], some of my better ones at [span style='color:quot']d[/span][span style='color:quot']A[/span].

mfunnell

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2008, 09:45:47 pm »

If it's true that there isn't, it's a bit puzzling why it's so difficult to locate American retailers of Adobe products who sell to overseas customers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Adorama. They've always done well by me, including my CS2->CS3 upgrade.

...Mike

Day-to-day photos on [span style='color:quot']flick[/span][span style='color:quot']r[/span], some of my better ones at [span style='color:quot']d[/span][span style='color:quot']A[/span].

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:16 pm »

The reason I didn't persevere is because I quickly assumed that there would be such a contractual agreement. If it's true that there isn't, it's a bit puzzling why it's so difficult to locate American retailers of Adobe products who sell to overseas customers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe they aren't allowed to sell to overseas residents. They just don't tell Adobe that's the case. It's a bit hard to audit, plus an American can buy US software, even if he's lodging with me in the UK, so they can ship legitimately.
Goods in the UK that are sourced from say America are known as grey goods and are not covered by warranty.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:45 pm »

As to the rest of this discussion - I've found it rather amusing. My impression, after much experience working for US companies (here, in the US and elsewhere) is that American companies charge foreigners more simply because they are foreign.  "Foreign countries don't exist - and to the extent they do, they shouldn't."  Rather a touch of "imperial" arrogance. Which is why its funny seeing that approach being complained about by a Pom.  The English in particular and the British more generally had exactly the same attitude back when Brittania ruled the waves.  I'm (barely) old enough to remember them still trying the attitude, long after the waves were ruled by others.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's very irritating when people lazily assume I'm English, I simply live here.
And justifying one set of bad behaviour because others previously behaved badly is not how to progress. But you're right on the money when you say, they simply charge foreigners more, as that's been my point all along. I'd also be equally critical of a UK company over charging overseas purchasers for no good reason.

mfunnell

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 11:26:36 pm »

It's very irritating when people lazily assume I'm English, I simply live here.
And justifying one set of bad behaviour because others previously behaved badly is not how to progress. But you're right on the money when you say, they simply charge foreigners more, as that's been my point all along. I'd also be equally critical of a UK company over charging overseas purchasers for no good reason.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I apologise for calling you a Pom if you're not. Very bad form

And I wasn't justifying present bad behavior by the past: more laughing at those who feel quite justified in their own bad behaviour, yet outraged when the tables are turned.  As this isn't applicable to you, I'll apologise, but note that the point remains.  Those who see themselves as the centre of power feel justified doing unto others things that would outrage them if done in reverse.  I tend to point and laugh on those (few) occasions when it happens.  Not at nationalities (everyone sees to act that way if they can) just circumstances.

...Mike

Ray

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:15 am »

Maybe they aren't allowed to sell to overseas residents. They just don't tell Adobe that's the case. It's a bit hard to audit, plus an American can buy US software, even if he's lodging with me in the UK, so they can ship legitimately.
Goods in the UK that are sourced from say America are known as grey goods and are not covered by warranty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not allowed by whom? I've bought stuff directly from America through the internet on a number of occasions. One just has to do the maths to see if the savings are worth any possible disadvantages with regard to warranty implications. If the goods are defective, most companies will accept a return. If the DVD containing your Adobe software is defective, doesn't read, you simply return it as you would with any purchase. I don't see a problem here.

Some products have an international warranty and some don't. Canon lenses, for example, carry an international warranty. However, Canon DSLR bodies don't, apparently.

Ray

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2008, 05:13:44 am »

Actually, I think you'll find you're better off than you think: courtesy of the FTA, I belive the threshold for goods from the US is now AUD$1,000
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,
That's good to know. Now that the Aussie dollar is reaching for parity with the greenback, there must be a few bargains in the US from our perspective.

I'll have a look at what Adorama has to offer. I see lots of Canon lenses there at good prices, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a lens without testing it first.

jeremyrh

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:40 am »

I apologise for calling you a Pom if you're not. Very bad form

And I wasn't justifying present bad behavior by the past: more laughing at those who feel quite justified in their own bad behaviour, yet outraged when the tables are turned.  As this isn't applicable to you, I'll apologise, but note that the point remains.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So - if jjj had been British, you would have been justified in criticising him for... for what? The conquest of India? The Crusades? The Hundred Years War? And you .. as a white Australian .. would you be personally responsible for the plight of the Aborigines?

Good grief.

jjj

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:42 am »

Not allowed by whom? I've bought stuff directly from America through the internet on a number of occasions.
So have I, but I've also tried on numerous occasions and being refused, due to my location. That's with Adobe + Canon products BTW.

One just has to do the maths to see if the savings are worth any possible disadvantages with regard to warranty implications. If the goods are defective, most companies will accept a return. If the DVD containing your Adobe software is defective, doesn't read, you simply return it as you would with any purchase. I don't see a problem here.
Well I do, returning stuff to be repaired on another continent with the extra delays involved is a pain.

Some products have an international warranty and some don't. Canon lenses, for example, carry an international warranty. However, Canon DSLR bodies don't, apparently.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most products don't and Canon lenses being international is a new thing, if indeed true.

Ray

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2008, 01:59:38 am »

So have I, but I've also tried on numerous occasions and being refused, due to my location. That's with Adobe + Canon products BTW.

This is precisely the point which needs more clarification. There are many US retailers who simply don't do overseas business. They have no 'country' options in their check-out section and no overseas freight options. In such circumstances, it's not surprising that they would refuse to do business with you.

However, it's an entirely different matter if a company like B&H who does ship to overseas customers, says 'sorry, we don't ship Adobe products overseas'.

Have you discovered any instances of this occurring when you've attempted to buy Photoshop from America?

Well I do, returning stuff to be repaired on another continent with the extra delays involved is a pain.

Of course it is. As the saying goes, there's no free lunch. But how many times have you bought photographic equipment that needs repair within the warranty period? If the item is defective on receipt, I think it would probably be simply replaced, which is still a pain, but any item that is defective has to be returned to the supplier wherever you are.

Most products don't and Canon lenses being international is a new thing, if indeed true.

I can attest to the fact that it is indeed true. My warranty card for my recently purchased 17-55/2.8 lens in Bangkok has a title in bold black letters, "Canon International Warranty Card". It's in for calibration at the moment, in Australia.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up