Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Papers with Old Printer  (Read 2066 times)

John Hennessy

New Papers with Old Printer
« on: March 08, 2008, 11:49:55 pm »

I have a near antique (by electronics' standards) Epson 4000 printer (Ultrachrome inks) and I am interested in the new papers that are coming to market every few weeks. Most of the reviews I can find discuss the papers' qualities in terms of newer printer/ink combinations such as an Epson 4800 or 3800.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on these papers on an Epson 4000? I do some black and white but mostly I do color.

Baryta papers=======
Harman Gloss FB AI
Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta 325
Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk

Other papers========
Moab Colorado Gloss & Satine
Epson – Exhibition Fiber Paper

Thanks.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:13:55 am »

I haven't tried most of those papers on my 2200 (which also uses the original Ultrachrome inks), but the Ilford Gold Silk has recently become my favorite paper for use with PK ink. I do mostly B&W and some color. The Ilford comes closest so far to the look of darkroom fiber papers, IMHO.

Since going digital, most of my printing has been on matte papers, mostly Epson Enhanced Matte (now called something like Epson Ultra Super-duper Oompah-oompah Presentation Paper Matte), which does nicely in both color and B&W when put under glass. I have used it in several exhibits. And it is cheap.

My current favorite matte paper is Epson Velvet Fine Art, and favorite somewhat-glossy is the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk. Give it a try.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:43:35 am »

I have a near antique (by electronics' standards) Epson 4000 printer (Ultrachrome inks) and I am interested in the new papers that are coming to market every few weeks. Most of the reviews I can find discuss the papers' qualities in terms of newer printer/ink combinations such as an Epson 4800 or 3800.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on these papers on an Epson 4000? I do some black and white but mostly I do color.

Baryta papers=======
Harman Gloss FB AI

Other papers========

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Epson 7600/4000 generation of printers are every bit as good as the later 7800/4800 generation on matte/cotton rag papers, but their D-max on satin/gloss papers with photo black ink is not that good. I still use my 7600 on occasion because it's still quite good on rag paper when the image doesn't need a very deep black to "sing". With a good profile I'm sure you'll get decent results with the newer papers, but the D-max won't reach the level newer printers can.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:59:04 pm »

Baryta papers=======
Harman Gloss FB AI

Other papers========
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've printed on the Harman, the Ilford, and the Epson with an Epson 4000. I have printed with Image Print using their excellent profiles, so my situation may not be exactly the same as yours. I have not compared the results directly with the output of the same papers and newer inksets, but I've been quite pleased with all three of those papers. One of them is likely to become my "standard" exhibition paper. This leads me to think that with a well-made custom profile you might expect good results.

They all exhibit gloss differential and bronzing to varying degrees; I find it worst with the Harman, least with the Epson. A coat or two of Premier Art Print Shield spray takes care of the problem.

That said, when Epson finally ports its non-ink-switching technology from the 11880 to something 17" or 24" wide, I'm gonna be thinking of upgrading!
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up