Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Bashing...  (Read 22183 times)

Ian Menuru

US Bashing...
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

The trouble with that is, you'd have to say things like "sailboot" and "I'll get there aboot nine."

JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This something I have always wondered a-bout and it appears this thread is just the crazy free-for-all to bring it up.  I have been a Canadian all my life now and in 60 years the only time I have ever heard the word pronounced  "aboot" is from an American attempting humour.  Has any body else in the world ever heard a Canadian say "aboot"?  I live in western Canada so maybe it is an Eastern thing but sounds more like a Scottish thing to me ( not that there is anything wrong with that) ... but please enlighten me, eh.  

Ian

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:56:54 pm by Ian Menuru »

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
US Bashing...
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 02:43:11 pm »

Well, far be it from me to pass up an excuse for Yanqui bashing   , but I  just picked up quite a nice photo magazine called "Focus", in a bookstore in Akureyri, Iceland. As far as I can tell it is a USA publication....  It has an iceberg on the front, too.  And no pixel peeping whatsoever.

www.focusmag.info appears to be where it lives.
--
David Mantripp

John Camp

US Bashing...
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 02:49:21 pm »

It's my impression, but I can't guarantee that this is correct, is that there's a lobe of "aboot" speakers that covers Western Ontario and (we don't talk about this part) northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. There's also the possibility that it's a Scandinavian inflection, since so much of that area, on both sides of the border, is settled by Scandinavians. But it definitely exists -- my sister, who lives in northern Wisconsin, now says it, but can't hear it in herself. I once spent several weeks in Toronto, and didn't hear it that I can remember; and a couple of years ago, I traveled up to Prudhoe Bay from Minnesota, by car, and didn't hear it then, either, in Alberta, BC and the Yukon. Maybe it overlaps with Canadians who say, "Eh," as in the Great White North.

It doesn't sound like a soft "ooo" but a cross between "about" and "aboot," a sorrt of hollow "oh" sound. Peter Jennings used to say it occasionally.

The topic interests me, and if others have a different impression of its geographic range, I'd be interested to hear about it.

JC

blansky

US Bashing...
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 02:52:37 pm »

This something I have always wondered a-bout and it appears this thread is just the crazy free-for-all to bring it up.  I have been a Canadian all my life now and in 60 years the only time I have ever heard the word pronounced  "aboot" is from an American attempting humour.  Has any body else in the world ever heard a Canadian say "aboot"?  I live in western Canada so maybe it is an Eastern thing but sounds more like a Scottish thing to me ( not that there is anything wrong with that) ... but please enlighten me, eh.   

Ian

edit for spelling
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As a western Canadian living in California for the last 20 some years, the word "about" is always the give away. As soon as I say it, people will say, OH, you're from Canada.

So yes, there is a subtle way we say it that the American ear can pick up. And I don't say aboot.

Michael

papa v2.0

US Bashing...
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 03:03:45 pm »

This something I have always wondered a-bout and it appears this thread is just the crazy free-for-all to bring it up.  I have been a Canadian all my life now and in 60 years the only time I have ever heard the word pronounced  "aboot" is from an American attempting humour.  Has any body else in the world ever heard a Canadian say "aboot"?  I live in western Canada so maybe it is an Eastern thing but sounds more like a Scottish thing to me ( not that there is anything wrong with that) ... but please enlighten me, eh.   

Ian

edit for spelling
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

aboot is used extensively in Scotland and especially in Orkney.

a common phrase is 'oot n aboot'

It might have been brought to Canada by the Hudson Bay Company which employed a lot of Orcadians/Scots.

[a href=\"http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/OKI/canada.html]http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/OKI/canada.html[/url]

do a google search for 'oot n aboot'
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:08:07 pm by papa v2.0 »

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
US Bashing...
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »

I guess this needs to be said...

The REAl problem with pretending to be a Canadian is having to be nice to everyone - even though what they really need is to be told in no uncertin terms to **** off.

Of course that's still easier than pretending to be from UnZud - now thet's a tough ick-sunt !    

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
US Bashing...
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 06:14:33 pm »

...I'm sick of it.

"I'd also like to comment on my impressions of the state of photography in Australia. I had an opportunity while there to view work by several of that county's finest photographers, and found them to be most impressive. There is also a vibrant photographic magazine and book publishing industry that puts to shame that in the US, especially considering that Oz has a population significantly less than 1/10th that of America. Good on-ya."

Good on the Aussies and bad on MR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a puzzling comment.

I don't have at all the feeling that Luminous Landscape forum or articles are involved in US bashing.

There are things to improve in every country, and calling "bashing" an attempt to point out some widely acknowledged issue is off the mark.

I fear that what you are sick about is not bashing (unfair criticism) but the freedom of expression it takes to talk about things the way they are. If I am correct, you might want to consider emigrating to North Korea, there is less public criticism of the state of affairs overthere.

Or is it that criticism is OK if it comes from fellow Americans, but KO if a foreigners dares to comment? But then, is it still "bashing" if they are right? Shouldn't you be happy that some people take time to provide you with objective feedback?

Either way, waking up from a nice dream in a cold room is always tough but getting up and preparing breakfast is how adults deal with such a situation. Children stay in bed and hide under their blanket.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ian Menuru

US Bashing...
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 08:02:06 pm »

As a western Canadian living in California for the last 20 some years, the word "about" is always the give away. As soon as I say it, people will say, OH, you're from Canada.

So yes, there is a subtle way we say it that the American ear can pick up. And I don't say aboot.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, thank you all that commented and educated me about this and I'm going to listen more carefully. And now, apparently John Camp's "attempt" at humour was actually pretty funny after all and I AM laughing.        

More uniquely CDN than I thought.

Ian

John Camp

US Bashing...
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 08:23:39 pm »

And I'd like to add, on America bashing, that probably nobody bashes America as much as Americans do. What's annoying is the really stupid stuff from people who must not ever have visited  -- Americans are fascists, or racists, or whatever. You want to say, what, all 300 million of us? But most of the time, it's not even worth arguing the point. It does become tiring, though, especially when you're trying to read about photography.

On the other hand, I don't mind elegant American bashing.

Porfirio Diaz once lamented, "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States."

That's gotta make you laugh.

Charles Dickens also did some excellent America bashing, especially of Cairo, Illinois, an early real-estate scheme in which he lost a lot of money, just like the British banks that bought all those sub-primes. 8-)

JC

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
US Bashing...
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 08:25:14 pm »

Good grief! WTF? And other comments.

This thread (or at least the initial post) is one of the more egregious examples of retarded hypersensitive political correctness I've seen in quite a while. Merely making the observation that Australia publishes a greater number of high-quality photo publications than another nation does NOT constitute bashing. Making the statement that Japanese companies produce far greater numbers of DSLRs than US companies is not "bashing", it's a simple statement of fact. So is noting that the US generally does more poorly in the World Cup than many smaller nations. If you have an problem with the situation, start your own American photo publication. Or at least provide a list of American publications that you believe refutes the statement you take issue with. Whining about it and accusing the individual making the statement of "bashing" just makes you look overly sensitive and immature and invites "bashing" with a justifiable basis.

No nation is the best at everything.

astanley

US Bashing...
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »

Good grief! WTF? And other comments.

This thread (or at least the initial post) is one of the more egregious examples of retarded hypersensitive political correctness I've seen in quite a while. Merely making the observation that Australia publishes a greater number of high-quality photo publications than another nation does NOT constitute bashing. Making the statement that Japanese companies produce far greater numbers of DSLRs than US companies is not "bashing", it's a simple statement of fact. So is noting that the US generally does more poorly in the World Cup than many smaller nations. If you have an problem with the situation, start your own American photo publication. Or at least provide a list of American publications that you believe refutes the statement you take issue with. Whining about it and accusing the individual making the statement of "bashing" just makes you look overly sensitive and immature and invites "bashing" with a justifiable basis.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Retarded".   Couldn't have said it better myself.

And add +1 for Lens Work.  I sometimes enjoy B+W, but it's a bit too elitist for my taste most of the time.  

Cheers,

-Andrew

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
US Bashing...
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:07 pm »

Of course that's still easier than pretending to be from UnZud - now thet's a tough ick-sunt !    
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strewth blue! Not as bad as calling fish and chips "feesh and cheeps".
Everyone has a go at another country sometime. If you pay any attention to it you will certainly have a miserable life.   David

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
US Bashing...
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2008, 05:22:18 am »

Strewth blue! Not as bad as calling fish and chips "feesh and cheeps".
Everyone has a go at another country sometime. If you pay any attention to it you will certainly have a miserable life.   David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The best kiwi accent I ever heard was actually in Australia.  I stopped at a servo (gas station for you yanks) and filled up with fuel, and when I went to pay was confronted with "Gudday.  Thet wull be fufty sivin dollars fufty, thenks" !

francofit

• http://
US Bashing...
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2008, 05:42:53 am »

Good grief! ....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I completely agree with Jonathan and (FWIW) with Bernard too and I would like to add:

No man is the best at everything

(and... I think we all can agree on this)

No camera is the best at everything  

Ciao
Franco
Franco

michael

US Bashing...
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:01 am »

Ok folks – it started off silly, and has gotten sillier.

Let's just let it die.

Michael

Satch

US Bashing...
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »

Ok folks – it started off silly, and has gotten sillier.

Let's just let it die.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad no one seemed to really want to discuss what accounts for the difference--that would have been very interesting (and non-silly).

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
US Bashing...
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »

Hmmmmmmm.

I guess now would not be the right time to mention that I am from southern Africa and am continually mistaken here in Blighty for being A) Australian,  Kiwi, C) Sarth Efrikan and never  correctly, D) ZIMBABWEAN

And we have a worse president than the Americans. Just.

airgunr

US Bashing...
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:35 pm »

I'll start by saying I'm another midwesterner from the USA.  I live in Wisconsin.  I won't go into my political view as it really isn't peritnent.

Anyway, what I would like to know is if there is a web site for any Austrailian Photo Mags that I could look at?

I am not too fond of most of the US mags.  I love Lenswork, Shutterbug is Ok as is Outdoor Photography and Popular Photography.  I really do not like Aperture at all, I guess because they seem a little too full of themselves.  I can do without the rest of the publications.

I subscribe to Practical Phototgaphy, Photography Monthly and Outdoor Photography from the UK and enjoy them a lot.

I've never seen or heard of one from Austrailia or New Zealand.  BTW, I really enjoyed both countries and have been there twice.  Would love to go again if the opportunity presents itself.

WJS/wi/usa

woof75

US Bashing...
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

Come come, lets put a lid on this one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up