Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error changing modules  (Read 2338 times)

caddy

Error changing modules
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:29 am »

Using LR 1.3.1 on Mac with 10.5.2.

I was using LR fine.  A few days ago it started displaying "An error occured when attempting to change modules" and I'd get this empty LR window, no side panels or anything.

I've tried completely deleting everything related to LR, including the preferences directory and package receipt, and reinstalling 1.0, which gives the same error.  Installing the 1.3.1 upgrade fixed nothing.  I can create new catalogs or open others, but they still come up blank and clicking on any module link gets the same error.

What else can I try?  I mean, other than switching to Aperture?

Cliff

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Error changing modules
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »

No idea, but you might try posting on the Adobe Lightroom forum...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Error changing modules
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »

Your Lightroom database is corrupt and likely needs to be recreated. And the problem may be related to previews and their connection with the DB. (You can try Relaunch and Optimize etc. or try making a backup, but these both will most likely fail.)

The fix: From the Library, select "All Photographs" (Library panel) and run the Export as Catalog command.

Don't try to make any edits or switch between modules when doing this.

I've seen this problem on several client machines but never had it happen to my own database. I've narrowed it down to a problem within the SQL database on the folder tables, and as I said it might have something to do with previews also.

My clients who experienced this also were running Mac OS X (as do I). One of them had the problem after upgrading from Tiger to Leopard. On another guy's Mac the problem appeared out of nowhere.

This really illustrates the importance of keeping a current backup of your database. If your main working db gets corrupted you can just start over with the latest backup (assuming it's not made from a corrupt db).

I backup my LR DB after every work session where I've made any edits to files.

Also, be sure to save out your metadata regularly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:28:35 pm by Nat Coalson »
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up