Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-Shake  (Read 7963 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Anti-Shake
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:59:43 am »

The reviews I read were saying that the Minolta built-in antishake could be compared with Nikon VR/Canon IS in terms of efficiency.

The huge advantage being that it works with every single lens.

A close friend has one and seems to be delighted with it.

Amicalement,
Bernard

jani

• Øyet
Anti-Shake
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:25:30 am »

And one more thing: I’m not sure how reliable this system will prove to be. Isn’t such a mechanical sensor “shaking” system prone to malfunctioning/calibration errors  in time ?
Compromises….
I'm also uncertain as to how well this will work with long lenses, such as 200mm or longer.
Jan

BernardLanguillier

Anti-Shake
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 07:42:34 pm »

Jani,

I am about to start considering beginning to think that, perhaps, you are... a little bit... too picky on the wording... sometimes.

Now, you know what I meant right? KM does indeed have a nice lens offering, but it is clearly short compared to Canon and Nikon. As you point out, Sigma, Tamron and the like also offer fewer lenses in KM mount.

Cheers,
Bernard

jani

• Øyet
Anti-Shake
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:23:33 pm »

What lens is a must-have for you, that you cannot get for Minolta?
Oh boy, now you're misunderstanding even more than I did.

Nobody's saying there's a specific lens they need they can't get for a Konica Minolta, we're just agreeing that the selection of lenses is a bit more limited than Canon's or Nikon's.

Just do a tally, will you? Canon/Nikon: 60-ish. Konica Minolta: 36 (IIRC).

But if you must have some hard examples, I pick these from my previously owned, current or wishlist of lenses:

- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
 - EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
 - EF 135mm f/2.0L USM
 - any tilt/shift lens

You can probably find similar Konica Minolta shaped holes in Canon's and/or Nikon's selection.
Jan

picture this

Anti-Shake
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 09:06:02 pm »

I would like to know how effective the anti-shake devices are when built into the body as compared to those built into the lens. I was considering a new camera, and wanted to know whether it would be more advantagous to have an anti-shake body, or an anti-shake in each seperate lens. (I would buy about 2 lenses).

I would like to know how well the anti-shake is in both, aswell as how they compare, so that I know which to buy so that it can pay off in the long run.

Elven

Anti-Shake
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:14:34 am »

Just imagine having  a 100mm f/2.8 MACRO IS ?  Tripods anyone ?
Or a 50mm f1.4 IS... beat that in low light

Yes, the on-camera IS is much more desirable. Unfortunately though, the only camera with such  feature  loses in all other respects compared to Canon/Nikon   
And one more thing: I’m not sure how reliable this system will prove to be. Isn’t such a mechanical sensor “shaking” system prone to malfunctioning/calibration errors  in time ?
Compromises….

BernardLanguillier

Anti-Shake
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:30:02 am »

Unfortunately though, the only camera with such  feature  loses in all other respects compared to Canon/Nikon   
Elven,

I am not so sure actually. To my eyes, the Minolta offers more than a Nikon D70s, and not that much less than a Canon 20D.

The 2 MPixel less than the Canon will be more than compensated by the sharper images resulting from the use of the built-in IS, this is unless you use IS lenses with the Canon of course.

Granted, it is a bit expensive, and the choice of lenses is a bit limited.

Overall, it is definitely a great choise if you already own Minolta gear, and it might convert a few Nikon and Canon users too.

Konika Minolta IMHO used to make the best SLR bodies, and I anticipate that they will probably be releasing other exciting products in the coming months/years.

Regards,
Bernard

jani

• Øyet
Anti-Shake
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:49:03 am »

Granted, it is a bit expensive, and the choice of lenses is a bit limited.
Hmm, I don't think this lens selection is as bad as to be called "limited", unless you're thinking about the selection of third-party lenses:

http://konicaminolta.com/product....08.html
Jan

jani

• Øyet
Anti-Shake
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 02:44:36 am »

Jani
Pssst, it's "Jan", not "jani". As in the signature. ::

I am about to start considering beginning to think that, perhaps, you are... a little bit... too picky on the wording... sometimes.
Well, I don't have much else to go by than what you write, I can't see your facial expressions as you write. Combine this with speedy reading, and I get misunderstandings like these, even after 12 years online. Heh. Sorry! I'll tighten my reins a bit.

Now, you know what I meant right? KM does indeed have a nice lens offering, but it is clearly short compared to Canon and Nikon. As you point out, Sigma, Tamron and the like also offer fewer lenses in KM mount.
Yep.
Jan

Willowroot

• http://www.willowroot.ca
Anti-Shake
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 11:15:27 am »

What lens is a must-have for you, that you cannot get for Minolta?
Jason Elias
willowroot.ca

Rokcet Scientist

Anti-Shake
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 07:10:16 am »

The reviews I read were saying that the Minolta built-in antishake could be compared with Nikon VR/Canon IS in terms of efficiency.
You make it sound as if Nikon VR/Canon IS are the criterion, and (Konica)Minolta AS the "me-too" product.
Not so! It's the other way around: (Konica)Minolta were the first to incorporate anti-shake in a prosumer cam. Canon and Nikon emulated them later!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:12:04 am by Rokcet Scientist »

barryfitzgerald

Anti-Shake
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 07:36:14 pm »

KM anti shake works well...lets see sony bring some more on soon...

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
Anti-Shake
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 08:13:24 am »

I used KM Anti-Shake with a 600mm and 300mm lenses on a monopod as well as the 300mm handheld. It worked better than not having it. Not having lenses with built-in image stabilization, I can't say if it is better.

darrenr

Anti-Shake
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 02:39:44 pm »

Image stabilisation has some pretty limited uses - namely situations where your subject matter is (relatively) still.

If I had the choice, for the same $$, between an extra 2 stops of lens light (1.8 vs 4) or IS, for the same price, I'd take the extra stops of lens light.

Sure, IS is nice, but when your subject is moving, IS does not increase the speed at which your shutter can move without photograpgic blur, rather, IS makes it possible for your shutter to move slower without blur due to the camera being held.

The extra stops are even more useful when you're attaching filters, such as polarizers.

IS helps but don't make more of it than what it is until you can tell animals and children to slow down for your camera because you have a "slow" lens.

aaykay

Anti-Shake
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 09:50:54 am »

- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
 - EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
 - EF 135mm f/2.0L USM
 - any tilt/shift lens

You can probably find similar Konica Minolta shaped holes in Canon's and/or Nikon's selection.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=18618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now you seemingly have quite a bit of selection, including the Carl Zeiss 135mm f1.8 planar AF, Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 sonnar AF etc.

Windshadow

Anti-Shake
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 10:59:36 pm »

I realy love my 7D
I have develpped a bit of a tremor with advancing years and the Anti Shake in the KM 7D Was one of the most important features to me ... I have been flat out amazed at how well it has worked... it has let me dispense with the tripod most of the time and untill I got the 7D I almost could not take a photo with out the tripod...

and the nice bonus of getting to use all my old Minolta AF lenses from my 35mm  did push me over the fence when I made the move to Digital.

I have a fair selection of lenses due to that but in fact most of the time I seem to use these

AF 100mm f/2.8 Macro(D) (a Fantastic lens... one of the best I have ever used... hard to find a way to fault it)
AF 17 - 35mm f/2.8 - 4(D)
AF 28 - 75mm f/2.8(D)
almost all of the time
the way the flash (both it one on the camara and the 5600HS(D) external flash) works so much better with these than with the old 35mm lenses for some arcane electronic reason is why I guess

my main problem (I guess  like other KM 7D owners) is the way supplies of things like extra lenses and other kit  is drying up... if you go to the usual suspects sites (B&H Adorama etc) the selection is downright meager...

does anyone have any places that look to have invested in lot of KM gear to keep us fed?

I am looking for a AF 100 - 300mm f/4.5 - 5.6 Apo(D) if I can find one at a good price...

And of course I wonder what Sony will come up with to support us as well... even though I am less than happy with their corp. practices I will not boycot them if the sell what I need...

Cheers
Randolph

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
Anti-Shake
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 11:33:47 pm »

The Sony lenses will fit your 7D. Except for the Carl Zeiss, the other lenses are Konica Minolta products that have been rebadged. And now you can even get the Zeiss lenses for your 7D. Sony will most likely continue supporting compatibility with the KM line. After all, half the employees making Sony DSLRs are former KM employees. The only difference is they are keeping the Japanese name and dropping the overseas ones like Dynax and Maxxum - Alpha is the Japanese designation.

Windshadow

Anti-Shake
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 12:09:39 pm »

The Sony lenses will fit your 7D. Except for the Carl Zeiss, the other lenses are Konica Minolta products that have been rebadged. And now you can even get the Zeiss lenses for your 7D. Sony will most likely continue supporting compatibility with the KM line. After all, half the employees making Sony DSLRs are former KM employees. The only difference is they are keeping the Japanese name and dropping the overseas ones like Dynax and Maxxum - Alpha is the Japanese designation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks... I need to read up some more on the Alpha... I will be fun to read the real reviews from folks compairing it to the 7D

From the photos I have seen of it though they have left behind (in the name of sleek and cool I guess) what to me is one of the greatest things about the 7D... the amazing job that the KM engineers did with designing the manual controls... the logic they used and the way they all fall to the fingers almost automaticly with no need to delve into some arcane menu system is just plain brilliant and I have yet to see another DSLR that is as good in this area.... though I guess part of that is that I have learned the 7D system... but I was really in sync with it so quickly... and when I swaped with friend for the weekend to use his Nikon which was twice as expensive and 10 meg to the 7D 6 meg... well even after spending all evening Friday with the manual I still needed to refer to it all the time over the weekend... my friend said that after using the 7D with the manual for an hour or so that night he did not need to refer to it for the rest of the weekend and he was useing features that he did not even know existed on a DSLR... and the results of the photos we took when printed at 8x10 on my Epson R800 we found the the Anti Shake of the 7D seemed to cancil out the gain in res from his 10 meg...

Cheers off to do some research
Randolph
Pages: [1]   Go Up