Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo Basalt Tripods & Monopods  (Read 4804 times)

Colorado David

Gitzo Basalt Tripods & Monopods
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:16:39 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with Gizo products with Basalt construction?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:47:26 am »

Yes. I currently use the Gitzo Basalt 1297 and think it's a great tripod. I believe Gitzo has replaced it with a newer model (so you probably won't find the name "Gitzo 1297" floating around in stores now). It's a little heavier than the similar-sized carbon fiber models, but less expensive. Very sturdy and durable. No concerns about getting it wet or even soaked. Has the same (or similar) anti-rotation mechanism built into the legs as the newer CF models so that setting up and collapsing the pod is quick (esp. compared to my other pod, a Gitzo 1348, which doesn't have the feature).
Eric Chan

David Hufford

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:32 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with Gizo products with Basalt construction?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a GT1930. All I can say is that it works as intended. Have had no problems with it. It appears as durable as carbon. It certainly seems stable and solid for its size and weight.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:03:54 pm »

Thanks very much.

duranash

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:13:42 pm »

Colorado David - if you buy one....could you give us a report on your findings, likes, dislikes?

sean mills

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:57:45 am »

I have one of the Basalt leveling tripods (don't have the model number handy). It's great. I don't notice the weight difference from the carbon fiber. Nice, sturdy, light, wonderful tripod, and a good value compared to the 6x models.

My only nit pick is it's a bit 'twangier' than carbon fiber. Meaning shock isn't absorbed as easily by the basalt, and the vibration of any impact on the legs reverberates through a bit more. You'll notice it when your backpack straps or cable release float around and hit the legs. Very small nit pick, and once you're set up and shooting, it's almost unnoticeable, save for maybe a very very windy day.

duranash

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:58 pm »

Does anyone have any idea how long Gitzo has been making the Basalt line?  Wondering if they have been out long enough to iknowhow well they hold up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up