Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Capture for Windows  (Read 8643 times)

andybuk99

Leaf Capture for Windows
« on: March 06, 2008, 01:12:59 pm »

Just a note to say that the Beta version is now OFFICIALLY available from Leaf's website.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:09:39 pm »

Just a note to say that the Beta version is now OFFICIALLY available from Leaf's website.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to say that I have given Leaf a hard time about the Windows promises over the years. And now that it is here (at least in beta form) someone at Leaf had to stop the madness and see the project through, so kudos.

I'm not sure who to credit, but someone stepped in and got Leaf Capture back together (with LC11) ad probably the same person (or team) managed to get LC for Windows going. So to those individuals, thank you.

By the way, spent yesterday working LC11.0.2 very hard. Capturing non-stop with an AFi7 for 70 - 80 frames simultaneously to Leaf Capture and to Adobe Bridge, while also batch processing about 30 or so files through Leaf Capture at the same time. Couldn't get LC11.0.2 to so much as blink, images came into LC11.0.2 and Bridge continuously, thumbnails immediately in Bridge, previews in Bridge got a bit behind. But previews and thumbs in Leaf Capture came in non-stop, almost instantly until shooting ceased. Very impressive for so much data to be pushed through so fast and sharing processes and applications.

I hope the Windows version is as impressive.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

jing q

• we are super
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:27:54 pm »

I have to say that I have given Leaf a hard time about the Windows promises over the years. And now that it is here (at least in beta form) someone at Leaf had to stop the madness and see the project through, so kudos.

I'm not sure who to credit, but someone stepped in and got Leaf Capture back together (with LC11) ad probably the same person (or team) managed to get LC for Windows going. So to those individuals, thank you.

By the way, spent yesterday working LC11.0.2 very hard. Capturing non-stop with an AFi7 for 70 - 80 frames simultaneously to Leaf Capture and to Adobe Bridge, while also batch processing about 30 or so files through Leaf Capture at the same time. Couldn't get LC11.0.2 to so much as blink, images came into LC11.0.2 and Bridge continuously, thumbnails immediately in Bridge, previews in Bridge got a bit behind. But previews and thumbs in Leaf Capture came in non-stop, almost instantly until shooting ceased. Very impressive for so much data to be pushed through so fast and sharing processes and applications.

I hope the Windows version is as impressive.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Steve, have you tried it with a laptop?
Is the only solution to powering a Leaf back with a PC laptop to use an external Firewire card and then power the card using an external power adapter?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:57:52 am »

Hi,
For PC laptops I use a repeater with the powerblock from the leaf accu loader.
In other words, one cable from the laptop to the repeater, and from the repeater to the back. The repeater is powered by the Leaf loader.
I'm still looking for a PC laptop with a powered firewire connector.

Works great, I have been testing Leaf capture for windows over the last few months and can say that's it has grown immensly.
The first versions did not give me much problems but were slow(er) and some adjustments did not work.
The last beta I tested worked as far as I could see for 99% as I wanted it.

I will test this release this weekend (I didn't plan any sessions this week) because I'm just back from the professional imaging were I shot to a laptop for 3 days almost constant without one hickup (well actually one, when I disconnected the back I had to reboot the laptop, this is probarbly a laptop problem because in the studio I did not experience this problem).

Leaf has done a TREMENDOUS job on the windows version.

Only remember it will not run on Vista64 (or 32 don't know that for sure).
On WindowsXP it runs without a problem as far as I know from the betas.

Greetings,
Frank
(who now finally can speak about the windows version )
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 04:59:30 am by Frank Doorhof »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:07:53 am »

The best Windows laptop I have ever had that has a powered firewire port is....

my MacbookPro  

canmiya

• beyond stills
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:49:24 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 i could not locate it on the leaf america site.  i been using a beta copy for about 2 months now , but am interested in seeing if the  version you are talking about has been updated...

andybuk99

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:00:33 am »

It is available at http://www.leaf-photography.com/

I am running it for testing on my vista 32bit with  4gb of ram with no problems at the moment.

jing q

• we are super
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 01:02:39 pm »

Hi,
For PC laptops I use a repeater with the powerblock from the leaf accu loader.
In other words, one cable from the laptop to the repeater, and from the repeater to the back. The repeater is powered by the Leaf loader.
I'm still looking for a PC laptop with a powered firewire connector.

Works great, I have been testing Leaf capture for windows over the last few months and can say that's it has grown immensly.
The first versions did not give me much problems but were slow(er) and some adjustments did not work.
The last beta I tested worked as far as I could see for 99% as I wanted it.

I will test this release this weekend (I didn't plan any sessions this week) because I'm just back from the professional imaging were I shot to a laptop for 3 days almost constant without one hickup (well actually one, when I disconnected the back I had to reboot the laptop, this is probarbly a laptop problem because in the studio I did not experience this problem).

Leaf has done a TREMENDOUS job on the windows version.

Only remember it will not run on Vista64 (or 32 don't know that for sure).
On WindowsXP it runs without a problem as far as I know from the betas.

Greetings,
Frank
(who now finally can speak about the windows version )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Frank, do you have a link to or a photo of this Leaf accu loader you're mentioning?I can't seem to find it....
Does it mean that you don't need to power the Firewire card.

Before the official beta came out I was using an adapter powered by a car battery connected to an inverter...works like a charm and doesn't use up the laptop's battery.Hopefully I can find a more elegant solution soon (apart from using a Mac)

Frank Doorhof

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:22:18 pm »

Hi,
The leaf is delivered with a acculoader (for the Leaf battery).
The powersupply from that is connected to my firewire repeater and powers this way the repeater instead of the accu loader from the Leaf.
This way you can take the loader with you to charge the batteries over night for non tethered shooting and use the loaders powersupply to power your repeater for tethered shooting.

I use a Geffen repeater but Leaf also has one.

collum

• http://www.jcollum.com
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:07:10 am »

i'm running the code on an XP sp2 system (quad process/4gb ram).

the files process beautifully.. much better quality than i was getting with Lightroom.

the only problem i'm seeing, is any time i do a save after making modifications to the raw parameters, and then save (it asks me to save if i move away from the folder or exit)... any file that had modifications made, disappears.

i've looked on the C drive, the recycle bin, and the drive with the raw files

there's a <filename>.db file in the LeafDB\LargeRawDB folder.. but it's only 10Mb in size, instead of the 65Mb it normally is.

any ideas? anyone seeing this as well?

jim

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 04:21:20 am »

Kudos?  For having ignored the Windows community for years?  I think not.  

When I ran an Imacon scanner, Windows releases for Flexcolor were always about 6-9 months behind Mac releases.  Needless to say I dumped Imacon and never looked back.

Before I'd even consider Leaf, I'd need reassurances from them that there would be no similar lag in future releases for Windows and that the feature set would be identical.

Kudos indeed.  

Quentin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:15:13 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

yaya

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:24:49 am »

Kudos?  For having ignored the Windows community for years?  I think not. 

When I ran an Imacon scanner, Windows releases for Flexcolor were always about 6-9 months behind Mac releases.  Needless to say I dumped Imacon and never looked back.

Before I'd even consider Leaf, I'd need reassurances from them that there would be no similar lag in future releases for Windows and that the feature set would be identical.

Kudos indeed.  

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quentin,

There are several reasons to why in our industry, Windows has always played a 2nd priority role in terms of software development. To name three; 1. Apple was always the dominant force in the creative and pre-press market (and it still is). 2. Windows, at least until recent iterations of XP, was not on par with Mac OS in terms of colour management and FireWire support.
3. Macs, being an "all in" package, are easier to develop for, and to support, in terms of hardware/driver compatibility. This is true especially for digital backs that are very demanding in terms of FireWire configuration etc.

So excuses aside and looking at the current state of our software and where it is headed (and without letting it sound too much like a sales pitch); The current Windows Beta version of 11.0.2 is 95% similar to the Mac version in its behaviour and functionality and is currently the ONLY software package to offer the following:

*Full control of the AFi camera: Live View, aperture, shutter speed, flash sync mode: working aperture preview
*Full control of the Rollei electronic shutter system: aperture, shutter speed, Live View, working aperture preview
*Live View support for all Aptus and AFi backs, inc. 1:1 preview at ANY size screen (tested on Eizo and ACD 30") and on most camera platforms.
*Buffer-less continuous tethered shooting with full screen previews (any size screen) that come up faster than anything else.
*Fast loading and very fast preview creation of large folders
*Full ICC support in both RGB and CMYK outputs

From now on, the two versions (Mac OS and Windows) will be developed side-by-side. However due to the different natures of the platforms, there can always be small gaps that will naturally favour the Mac OS, since it is the more popular and is the easier/ more predictable to support.

I hope this helps

Yair
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:57:30 am by yaya »

Frank Doorhof

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:44:02 am »

I can add that it's indeed FAST.
When I press the shutter the file is on the monitor and 1:1 preview ready in app. 2 seconds.
I shot alot with C1 and a 5D and even than although the files were much smaller the 1:1 preview took some time.

It's VERY impressive what leaf capture shows.

Today I tested the new software and it's faster than previous betas/alphas also the direct iso setting is a nice addition.

yaya

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 11:07:48 am »

i'm running the code on an XP sp2 system (quad process/4gb ram).

the files process beautifully.. much better quality than i was getting with Lightroom.

the only problem i'm seeing, is any time i do a save after making modifications to the raw parameters, and then save (it asks me to save if i move away from the folder or exit)... any file that had modifications made, disappears.

i've looked on the C drive, the recycle bin, and the drive with the raw files

there's a <filename>.db file in the LeafDB\LargeRawDB folder.. but it's only 10Mb in size, instead of the 65Mb it normally is.
any ideas? anyone seeing this as well?

jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Jim,

I tried it on my XP machine (bootcamp on an MBP) and it seems to work fine with no files disappearing.

Can you please send an email to with as much information as possible about your system (i.e processor, type of RAM, XP version etc.) ?

Many thanks

yair

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:55 am »

Kudos?  For having ignored the Windows community for years?  I think not. 

When I ran an Imacon scanner, Windows releases for Flexcolor were always about 6-9 months behind Mac releases.  Needless to say I dumped Imacon and never looked back.

Kudos indeed.  

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quentin:

Just to be clear - I was not showering kudos to Leaf for ignoring the Windows community. When you have a situation where a product is perhaps planned, but never gets developed and this goes on for years and years, if the product finally appears, often this has only occurred due to someone or some team being an agent of change and providing committment where before it did not exist.

This always deserves kudos.

I recall Flexcolor software also generally being Mac first, then Windows some time after for a while. However, in recent years, the releases have almost always been simultaneous.

On the one hand, I understand the dedication of resources not being focused on the Windows platform. Less than 10% of my customers are using Windows. This is probably close to overall industry numbers for medium format digital users. On the other hand, you could also make the argument that by dedicating some resources to appeal to that market, you would instantly have a potential 10% growth market to play with. Not a bad number these days....

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

andybuk99

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:54 pm »

Ding

I use Macs at work, however I have Pc's at home. So whenever I have got stacks of work on it is nice now to be able to work with LC at home rather than being away from the family. Before I had to take a MBP home and hook it up to my monitors to process, now no such hassle.

collum

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »

is there a forum for the Leaf software/hardware (sort of like the one Phase One has.. which has been excellent).

thanks

jim

yaya

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 03:09:12 am »

is there a forum for the Leaf software/hardware (sort of like the one Phase One has.. which has been excellent).

thanks

jim
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On our [a href=\"http://www.leaf-photography.com/]Homepage[/url] there's a link on the top-Right corner to the Leaf Users Forum.

Yair

collum

Leaf Capture for Windows
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 03:13:39 pm »

On our Homepage there's a link on the top-Right corner to the Leaf Users Forum.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180546\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm.. i had always thought this was 'out of order'. i registered back in January, received a username/password.. but it never worked. i had emailed the contact on that page a few times, but didn't get a response. is there another email address i should try?

jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up