Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: London's Met Police In Idiotic Ad Poster Shocker  (Read 27392 times)

papa v2.0

London's Met Police In Idiotic Ad Poster Shocker
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 03:23:23 pm »

with all this terrorism thing and the muslim extremists in the news here in the uk etc the old bill is always jumpy

watch out if you are a photographer with a beard and are in london.

any photographers with a beard here in london at the moment and look a bit like a muslim extremist?

same goes for skinheads taking pics of mosques!

NBP

• http://
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 05:09:47 pm »

with all this terrorism thing and the muslim extremists in the news here in the uk etc the old bill is always jumpy

watch out if you are a photographer with a beard and are in london.

any photographers with a beard here in london at the moment and look a bit like a muslim extremist?

same goes for skinheads taking pics of mosques!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right, ah yes. Muslims with a beard = extremist looky likey  - is that what your rather incoherent comment is clutching at, papa v2.0?

Maybe you'd like to illustrate your post with some useful pictorial guides for us as to what Muslim extemists look like - perhaps it would help so we don't unwittingly leave the house looking like one.

Jeez  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 05:10:35 pm by NBP »

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 02:40:58 am »

Right, ah yes. Muslims with a beard = extremist looky likey  - is that what your rather incoherent comment is clutching at, papa v2.0?

Maybe you'd like to illustrate your post with some useful pictorial guides for us as to what Muslim extemists look like - perhaps it would help so we don't unwittingly leave the house looking like one.

Jeez 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

? It makes perfect sense. The police in England (and elseware) are so paranoid about Muslims after 9.11 that if you go out looking even slightly like the stereotypical Muslim, chances are you'll have issues.

NBP

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:51 am »

The police in England (and elseware) are so paranoid about Muslims after 9.11 that if you go out looking even slightly like the stereotypical Muslim, chances are you'll have issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(just to be pedantic though, I think you might find that it's a post 7/7 situation that the British police are a little more directly concerned over than '9/11')
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:06:31 am by NBP »

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 04:27:53 pm »

(just to be pedantic though, I think you might find that it's a post 7/7 situation that the British police are a little more directly concerned over than '9/11')
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was recently asked by a policeman to stop taking candid shots at the Henley agricultural show.  I was, I can only assume,  taking shots of strategically sensitive steam driven tractors, that, so it seems, could possibly have become at any moment, bedecked by vulnerable children.  I had a "What the **** is happening to the world and do I need to go berserk to sort things out" moment.

In the end I decided just to creep away having learned that crime doesn't pay.

papa v2.0

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:02 pm »

? It makes perfect sense. The police in England (and elseware) are so paranoid about Muslims after 9.11 that if you go out looking even slightly like the stereotypical Muslim, chances are you'll have issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks that you got the joke there

i thought that i was alone on that one

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

The answer is simple!  Flood them with RAW or DNG files and overwhelm their undoubtely puny drives.  

Medium format photgraphers of the world unite!

Tim.Lewis

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:42 am »

Hi All

If you want to know how effective all these security measures are, see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPLpHyBrlg

Cheers

Tim
[span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Geneva']Got a Mac, not going back![/span][/span]

NBP

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 04:34:14 am »

So, after asking the public to be suspicious of anybody taking pictures, it seems that The Met would now like our help....

here
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:36:34 am by NBP »

gerk

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

Thoughtcrime!  Dang .. maybe Orwell just got the timing wrong, instead of 1984 it may be more like 2014.

I've also been approached by both security people and in one case a police officer and asked to stop taking pictures within the last month.  The cop actually asked me to stop taking pictures of a tree in a public park (!!?!)  When I asked him why he didn't have a good response, thought about it for a minute and apologized and told me to carry on.  I didn't want to make a big deal of it so I wandered away and kept snapping shots while heading away from him!

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 10:51:24 am »

We live in funny world. Here in sweden, the SÄPO (CIA for sweden). Sent out letters to young teenagers that where muslims to corporate with the SÄPO to find terrorists.... This off course made some press attention.

But not yet I had problems with the local police taking photographs. As long I dont take photographs off "secret" miltary bases.

I just tired off this security and watch for suspects. At least in Sweden we have very tough laws to the rights to have private life. But we have trouble with Music/Movie industri trying to force our goverment to start watch the internet for search off copy right violations.

But I am very scared that we will move in same directions that countries have taken. I am pissed if I cant keep my right to privacy. Or my right to photographing without be hassled.

It is just stupid. Google maps. Internet and you have more information you will need without doing the hassle and risk beeing caught as a terrorist. I think there arn´t many places that arn´t on internet.

Some swedish telephone companies have search engines with photos off every street and doors for help finding adresses.

Thou I been hassled both in states and UK for having a camera and using it. But I just played the stupid Swedish tourist card. Thou I must say I am very impressed by the cops in US they are most polite cops I met in the world. Especially the cops in southern states. Maybe helps that I am tourist.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:54:21 am by Sunesha »
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 05:22:14 pm »

So, Sunesha, if I get your drift correctly, you have no objections to ripping off musos, but don´t like your own rights (?) challenged? Interesting, but dumb, as the guy in the tin hat might have said from behind the potted plant.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 04:09:22 am »

So, Sunesha, if I get your drift correctly, you have no objections to ripping off musos, but don´t like your own rights (?) challenged? Interesting, but dumb, as the guy in the tin hat might have said from behind the potted plant.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think he used to say "stupid", rather than "dumb", didn't he?

Jeremy

Sunesha

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 06:58:56 am »

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No I think really sick that our SÄPO is sending out letters to people for just belonging to religion. What I think is more scary is how SÄPO know they are muslims. It is against swedish law to register people in that way. But I guess that even little Sweden have bought into the international fear off terrorism. What scares me more it is little reaction from our swedish rulers that are more busy with other things (more publically popular things).

With funny, I mean in a sense I cant understand way things have played out.

At least in my town where 30-40% is muslim, I never have had problems with them. They are very polite and social people. I just feel sorry for my friends. I have a friend that is a Arab. He always joke about he is hated by all. Swedish and other immegrants  here in sweden. Because he is a muslim.

What I think is what made this so sick, is that media protray muslims as terrorists. When it is one off biggest religions it rings wrong because more than 1 billion people are muslims. I would dare to say we have other bad guys in other religions too.

I am sorry I should thought out my writing a bit better. After reading my own post I understand it send a mixed message that leave a lot to reader to make out what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 07:12:42 am by Sunesha »
Homepag

Sunesha

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 07:11:26 am »

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry for my lack off knowledge off the English language.

What's the diffrence beetween stupid and dumb?
Homepag

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 09:54:26 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Apology quite unnecessary!

It depends if you're English or American (I'm English).

In English, stupid means lacking in intelligence, whereas dumb means silent or unable to talk.

In American, as I understand it, one of the meanings of dumb is indeed stupid.

However, all I was doing was attempting to correct a misquotation.

Jeremy

walter.sk

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 12:21:58 pm »

Here in New York City, there has been a campaign since 9/11 with signs and posters on buses, trains, stations, etc., that say "If you see something, say something."  Last year there were posters showing pictures of eyes (about 12 pairs).  The text indicated that "New York has 18 million pairs of eyes.  Last year there were many reports of suspicious activity."

There are signs on all bridges prohibiting "use of a camera."  But if you go into any NYC bookstore or any of the stands selling tourist items, you can find exquisitely detailed pictures of every bridge, tunnel, monument or important building in the city for $2.98 and up.

I have been stopped numerous times when shooting subjects such as, for example,  the gargoyles near the top of the Chrysler building.  The police thought I was sneaking terrorist pictures with my stealthy Canon 1D MkII and the very covert-looking 100-400mm lens.

In Philadelphia I was stopped while taking pictures of Independence Hall at night.  I was asked what I was shooting.  Then I was asked why.  When I said the building was pretty at night I was asked for ID.  When he saw that my wife (also taking pictures) and I were from NYC we had to explain why we came all the way to Philadelphia to take pictures at night.

Again, even if night pictures of Independence Hall would be of use to terrorists, they can get them at Amazon.com for less than it would cost them to park their car in downtown Philly.

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 12:30:55 pm »

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can´t say for sure, but I still think I´ll go with "dumb"; sounds more of the era, somehow...

In fact, I think it was "Very interesting, but dumb," but as with everything else that relies on memory, your guess is probably as good as mine. At least you caught the allusion!

Rob C

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 01:55:10 pm »

This police poster is utter nonsense. Did the 9-11 terrorists spend time taking photos of the inside of aircrafts?
 Did they need photos of the WTC in order to execute their plan?
When did photography become the modus operandi of terror?

Just another loss of individual freedom under the guise of anti-terrorism. Orwell is looking more and more prophetic each day.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The difference is tangible and real, yet subtle.

Much like the difference between Bush and Blair.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up