Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graphics card to match NEC 2690WUXi  (Read 7271 times)

gkoulomz

Graphics card to match NEC 2690WUXi
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:56:07 pm »

Having gotten a NEC LCD2690WUXi, I now have to get a "matching" graphics card for my AGP 8x provisioned DELL Dimension 8300.  But there are many aspects of choosing a card for this display which confuse me.

I do no gaming; I am interested primarily in photo editing.

1) I have seen statements in various posts to the effect that at a dual DVI_I interface is necessary to use resolutions in excess of 1600x1200 (e.g. the 2690's native resolution of 1920x1200).   Is this true of all graphics cards? Are there any for which this is not necessary?
 2) To what extent is a card's internal bit-depth important, e.g. to maintain accuracy      during any calculations the card performs, including LUT?  I don't generally see specifications for this published for the various cards.
 3) I have an old GretagMacbeth GQU15-SEQ01 (which came with my Profile Mechanic - Monitor package).  It is not listed as one of the sensors compatible with the SpectraVision software on NEC's site.  Does anyone know if it works anyway, or do I have to buy a new puck?
 4) If I were to put two differing types of display on a card (off the combined DVI_I port) how could I calibrate them independently?
 5) What are the trade-offs of calibrating by means of the graphics card LUT vs. calibrating by means of the Display's built-in LUT?  Is it necessary or advisable to do both?
 6) Finally, I would love to hear about any AGP or PCI (NOT PCI-Express) graphics cards with which readers have had positive experiences in combination with the 2690.

Thanks in advance

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:00:36 pm »

Don't have many answers for you, but here (hopefully) are a few.  BTW, just want to make sure you're in the U.S., since SpectraView II software is NEC USA only.

1) I have seen statements in various posts to the effect that at a dual DVI_I interface is necessary to use resolutions in excess of 1600x1200 (e.g. the 2690's native resolution of 1920x1200).   Is this true of all graphics cards? Are there any for which this is not necessary?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dual DVI_I interface does not seem to be necessary.  I recently got the NEC 2690 and a new PC to replace my aging Dell Dimension 8200.  Just for giggles I hooked up the 2690 to the Dell's ancient NVidia 64 meg video card.  After updating the video drivers, this card was able to drive the 2690 at 1920 x 1200 resolution with no problems.

3) I have an old GretagMacbeth GQU15-SEQ01 (which came with my Profile Mechanic - Monitor package).  It is not listed as one of the sensors compatible with the SpectraVision software on NEC's site.  Does anyone know if it works anyway, or do I have to buy a new puck?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don't know, you can e-mail NEC tech support and ask:

techsupport@necdisplay.com

I've e-mailed them several questions before and since I got the 2690 and their replies have been both fast and useful.

4) If I were to put two differing types of display on a card (off the combined DVI_I port) how could I calibrate them independently?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I haven't tried. Ask NEC tech support to confirm but it looks like SpectraView II can calibrate multiple displays (as long as it is one that is supported).

5) What are the trade-offs of calibrating by means of the graphics card LUT vs. calibrating by means of the Display's built-in LUT?  Is it necessary or advisable to do both?
The best way to calibrate the 2690 is through its built-in 12 bit LUTs and SpectraView II.  After all, this is why you spent the big bucks, right?    This gives you better accuracy than a video card's 8 bit LUTs.  Do NOT double calibrate.

6) Finally, I would love to hear about any AGP or PCI (NOT PCI-Express) graphics cards with which readers have had positive experiences in combination with the 2690.
Can't help you there, but my old Dell 8200's 64 meg NVidia video card is AGP and it did fine with the 2690.  Obviously, this is not DVI, digital or otherwise.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:14:56 pm by PaulS »

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:08:38 pm »

How would one 'double calibrate'?
CMurph

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »

My 2690 runs fine through a (now old) Radeon X 1950 Pro. You can browse the forums or the graphic display section of http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:40:38 pm »

How would one 'double calibrate'?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

By trying to calibrate both the video card's LUTs and the monitor's LUTs.  But SpectraView II goes straight to the monitor LUTs (not the video card's) so this is not a problem.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:44:50 pm by PaulS »

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

One would be hard pressed to find a way considering calibration software will do a full reset on the card and the monitor luts before profiling.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

tived

• http://
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:45:33 am »

any graphics card, that is compatible with your mainboard, eg support the connectors your mainboard would have. PCIexpress, PCI or AGP (it it is an older board)

that supports the monitors max resolution and bit dept

look for Matrox, ATI(AMD) and Nvidia based cards, they come in various flavours, and you don't have to buy the most expensive one.

good luck

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up