Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromatic Aberration  (Read 1706 times)

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
Chromatic Aberration
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:33:52 am »

I have been trying out some of my old AIS lenses on my recently acquired D200.
I am noticing CA in many of the lenses I never noticed when making 35mm transparencies, or prints therefrom in the past.

Is this a digital "thing" for lack of a better term?
or, hey, what the heck is going on!?

jay

Rob C

Chromatic Aberration
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:09:58 pm »

I have been trying out some of my old AIS lenses on my recently acquired D200.
I am noticing CA in many of the lenses I never noticed when making 35mm transparencies, or prints therefrom in the past.

Is this a digital "thing" for lack of a better term?
or, hey, what the heck is going on!?

jay
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Prepare to sweat blood: I found exactly the same when I tried to make a blow-up of a simple belfrey which I´d shot with a 4.5/300 IFED Nikkor on Velvia; on film it looks great but on screen, in colour, awfully fringed, something which conversion to B/W sems to hide a bit.

However, I don´t blame the D200 because it performs very well indeed with my current crop of objectives, the 300mm belonging to an earlier bout of Nikon ownership unwisely abandoned to a 6x7 fantasy some painful years ago! On the other hand, had Nikon thought of following Pentax into that genre - or, indeed, of leading the way there, we might have had some very good cameras, what with their LF experience in lens manufacturing.

But when did that matter?

So, to answer your question, it is probably that lenses for one medium are not optimised for another.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up